Fruit Bearing Mulberry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Della620

Reaction score
I have a beautiful fruit bearing mulberry tree, but the fruit is making a disasterous mess. I was told there may be something I can either inject or spray on the tree to stop it from producing fruit. I'm looking for information regarding such an item...please help.

Florel Fruit Eliminator is available from Sherrill Arborist Supplies. Just click on the banner at the top of this page.

growth regulators such as florell, carberyl and 2,4-d (yes they are used for that, look it up) are crop thinners, there will still be fruit on the tree. And the window is very tight for a good app.

Try thinning the tree, and eating the rest :D

I can picture the problem though, the drive is purple and so are the cars from the bird poop, and you cannot hang any laundry out!

Mulberry

Thank you all for your replies! I'd love to use/eat the berries but there are soooo many and you're right, the cars are now purple, the driveway is purple....purple is my favority color, but it's gotta stop some where. Thanks again.

kill

I would suggest cutting the tree down and replacing with something that would be enjoyable

Boy this world sure would be boring if everyone only planted the kinds of trees that I like.:( I may not like mulberries or mimosas, but I try to appreciate the tastes of those who do.

Last edited:
Wow, Tree M.D. I cant believe you cut trees down and people down all in the same day. If you have nothing good to say please dont say it. Some people dont care if you like their trees or not. They just want to learn and try to fix there problems. Sure there might be times where it might be best to cut down and start over, but not in this case. Sorry, for the rude comments Della.

Come now Darrin, Reomove and Replace is a valid option. Tree M.D. could have phrased it a little better though. SOme people don't realise that they are proffesionals dealing with the public in these situations.

I agree John Paul, it is a valid option. I just recieved an email from somebody that showed that he was trying to be rude about it. I would not have said what I said without other reasons. I dont like Mulberrys myself but I dont think we should cut other peoples likes and dislike down in here. State your point and then move on. You can have arguments on valid reasons why, but in a private message to call the guy a jackass for not liking what he likes is not right. I agree from his post, it shows a valid point. I looked like I came off too strong there.

Ok Ok.. Go easy. I apologize to anyone I may have offended in my last post. I get a little giddy because I see this stuff every day. If you have a mulberry on your property and are very attached to it you should put a cable to support every weak crotch formation in the tree or it will split apart in heavy snows and/or high winds. It WILL happen.If you can have a pro do that for you and you can live with the berry drop, enjoy. Personally, because I am a professional, a fruit-bearing cherry tree is an awesome replacement. The trees I would stay away from would be Callery Pear, Mulberry and Choke Cherry. Your property will thank me for it.:angel: :angel: :

Alright already you guys. I didn't realize one simple question would cause so much controversy. As I said earlier thank you ALL for your input. My first reaction to the tree was to cut the messy thing down. But, for those of you who aren't familiar with Littlerock CA (not Arkansas), it's in the middle of the Mojave Desert. We need every tree we can get. I was only looking for what I was told was an easy solution to the mess the tree makes. I've justed moved into this house and it does have a half acre of miscellanous fruit and nut tress that I would not consider cutting down--no matter how messy they get. The problem is the location of the Mulberry tree...it's in the middle of the dog run and right next to the house. Thanks for ALL your suggestions and not to worry--I can over look the rude comments.

I have a beautiful fruit bearing mulberry tree, but the fruit is making a disasterous mess. I was told there may be something I can either inject or spray on the tree to stop it from producing fruit. I'm looking for information regarding such an item...please help.

I live in West Texas, We do NOT cut down any tree !! Try this, drive several large stakes or timber nails into tree, being careful not to get onto heart of tree, I have been told this several times, I have a LARGE fruit mulberry tree in my backyard, I did this and I got a BUMPER crop of mulberries this year, I went back to the person that told me and he said it would take at least 2 years to take effect. I drove in 4 timber (large nails ) nails and am hoping for success next year or the commander-in-chief said the tree is going down the TUBE !! Good luck

You dug up a 9 year old thread to tell someone how to kill a tree on an arborist forum, I'm sure we'll enjoy your stay here.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You dug up a 9 year old thread to tell someone how to kill a tree on an arborist forum, I'm sure we'll enjoy your stay here.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Welllll, I see I am on a site that cannot read too well, I said to be careful and NOT drive the nails too far into the tree, I have put them in my tree and it is healthy. If I receive another note like that one, you can have this site !!

What a different tone this place had back then......

He did say BE CAREFUL, yup

I predict you will be cutting down that Texan tree if you keep pounding stakes into it. Good luck with that , let us know how it looks next year.

A couple weeks after mid-ripening season when I feasted on a very tasty specimen, I returned to the yard, eager for a snack. Not one berry remained. This drove home the point that the season of purple pavement is less than .1 of the year. Is it really too great an inconvenience to focus on picking instead of parking in that space for a few weeks?

All we are saaaaaaying, is give trees a chance!

:givebeer:

The Good Ole Days

My family always had a gorgeous mulberry in the back yard. The way I was taught was to place a large old sheet on the ground when the fruit was ripe. Then, simply shake the branches and the fruit would fall into the sheet, ready to make a pie or jam. This kept the mess in the yard to a minimum. I realize this thread is old but this may help someone who is confronting a similar problem but who doesn't have the heritage experience to easily deal with the falling fruit. Good luck to all!:heart:

I have fond memories as a five year old spending as many hours as I could in mulberry trees getting myself and my clothes all purple.

I have planted one in my front yard I hope my kids stop playing sonic the hedgehog and have as much fun as I did.

I would invite all the neighborhood kids to eat from the tree if supply ever gets more than the demand :)

Latest posts

Back