Fruit tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danjensen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a cherry and an old apple tree in my back yard.

They are located next to a 4-5 bigger trees and i think the bigger trees are taking all the light and nutrients

Neither produced much fruit this year. I don't know if this is due to lack of pruning or because they are old and just not producing much fruit.

I'm thinking of taking them down and replanting younger ones in a different location in the spring.

Before I bring them down just wanted your advice.

Is there anything I can do to promote fruit growth or not.

thanks for the help

Yes, there are things that can be done. My neighbor's trees are over 100 years old on the family farm and they still produce.

Proper pruning is based on the type of fruit tree. Do some research on them for your area, or find someone that is a skilled fruit tree pruner in your area. Pay them to get you started this year and to teach you to follow up. Read up and do it yourself. Don't do it willy-nilly, or how its always been done, unless it has always been done properly. It a learned skill that you can acquire.

The state extension services in the US seem to have some good information, though what applies here, might be different than Montreal. I found info at Oregon State Extension Service's website.

Best of luck.

prune the bigger trees to allow good light, and reduce their water demand, (or remove the closest ones) and prune the fruit trees first to clear dead and deficient limbs, and expect to prune the fruit trees again next year to achieve proper fruit production. You will need to have some patience and faith, but if its alive, it can push fruit eventually.

Latest posts

Back