fruit tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally293

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just a quick update first, almost a year ago I almost poisioned my beloved maple tree with some rather nasty herbicides, (trying to kill some weeds) with the great help from members here I corrected my mistake and now very happy to report that the maple tree has made great recovery. Once again thanks to all who posted any replies.
Question?
I am looking forward to plant some type a fruit tree in my backyard. I was looking for a fruit that I would get the most out of. Came to the conclusion that a apple tree is what i was looking for. I have gotten several mail order catalogs stating that they have some apple trees that are 5 ( five ) fruits tree. Could this be true? Or are they trying to sell me some garbage. Any advice in this matter would be helpfully.
thanks,
wally293:D

Most fruit trees are grafted, these just graft 5 different scions onto one stem.

now you have to be concerned with 5 different levels of disease susesptability.

Call some local orchards to see what does best in your area, and where to find a good tree. There are some orchards here that will plant a tree for you.

to get store quality apples you need to spray several times a month, forget once and you may get worms and scab.

You can allso trywww.applejournal.com if i spelledt that right

It's gonna be a long time before I need to spray my little Whips. But since its here I'll ask, what kind of sprays do you reccommend for spraying apples?

I planted 1 red and one yellow delicious to get pollinization.

thanks

even young trees need to be sprayed. I use a copper and hort. oil just prior to bud break, early april here, then two weeks later i use Nova, Dithane , Astro and a sticker, mid april here. ( do not use Astro or any insectide on trees that are in bloom because it is toxic to bees.) two weeks later again i use the same mix, early may here, then again two weeks later mid may, and again the same mix two weeks later early june. then a month later the same mix without the dithane in july here, and again a month later the mix with out the dithane in august. then a month later in september use hort oil or insecticidal soap. This is a full program designed by Bartlett Tree Experts that i like to use . the early sprays are the most important . If you want to go organic only then you can use the soap and oil and copper and a product called (surround).JPM

Not if you want a store quality apple. If you can stand a few worms and scabs then there are less rigorouse regimins.

I've read about placing red balls with a sticky caoting on them and spray when you see flys stuck to the balls.

Insects and disease love plants in the Rosasea family (rose family). so you need to address these pests. Apple trees are in this family. One application one day every 2 weeks and then one application one day a month is not alot for the reward of the fruit . I take care of an old neglected orchard which is now producing beautiful fruit. The time i put into it gives me fresh sweet juicy crispy apples that make that snapping sound when you bite into them and when you shine them up on your shirt tail ,you can see your reflextion on the apple. ummm ummmm good! ( even better than cambells soup :))JPM

Latest posts

Back