fruit trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Bowling

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple questions regarding fruit trees.
Will lemon, apple, and/or avocado seeds sprout if put in
a glass with a damp paper towel or do they require soil?

Please explain why. I have attempted to grow each of these
fruits in this manner, and after 2 1/2 weeks, not one has shown any
change or growth.

My son and I are working on an important science project, and our
main question is, why can you grow some plants this way and not others?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kim Bowling

Different plants have different species survival techniques. Thes start with germination. Some need scarification, some need stratification, some need x days at y degrees. this all ensures that the seed is germinating in it nominal environment.

Hi there...when I was a kid, we put a tootpick through an avocado seed and filled a glass with water. We suspended the avocado seed in the water (one half submerged) by hanging the tootpick over the top of the glass. In a short time is started to sprout and there became a really nice vine-like plant from that seed. Just make sure that the bottom half of your avocado seed is in the water. after awhile when there are alot of sprouts, you can just submerge it in about 4 inches of water and it will form a vine for a long time. It works ! Try it. Best regards,

It takes a long time to get them going. I think the avacodo thing takes like 3 weeks or more.
It helps to put the other seeds in a warm place, like on top of your water heater(don't let them dry out) this seems to speed germination. You can also try scratching the shell on hard seeds to speed things up, like the apple seed. which has a hard waterproof shell. If you can break through that without damaging the seed, then stick it in damp towels at warm temps.
Some seeds require freezing temps, then scarification, then warm moist conditions.

Back