Frustrated: Stihl ms290 dies after heating up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only the spark-plug may sound disappointing but over time you will encounter new challenges ;)

But somewhere in there, I didn't like the sound the saw was making. I don't know enough about chainsaws to know but I heard a sound that sounded too metallic, too much of a clattering sound when it idled down to low speed. It may be normal but it made me nervous and I quit cutting.
Sentences like that makes me think that the saw is not fixed..............

I use loctite 518 myself, the metallic sound your hearing might be the bell of your drive sprocket pinging up against your clutch or just vibrating,

2ND UPDATE... Maybe it wasn't the spark plug (harleyT lol). I put that tank vent line that I bought last week (but had not installed) in my pocket and used the saw again today. It ran like a top, just great, but died after 3 minutes! I installed the tank vent and it then ran fine. I didn't have that much wood to cut but it exceeded 10 minutes and didn't die. I was also intent to listen to the sound and it sounded good. I also noted that it did sound like it was four-stroking, so, hopefully, the carb is tuned good. I will report again after I find something else to cut, lol.

The new tank vent is black, opaque rubber; the old one is clear. The new one has a screw in the end and since it's opaque, I dunno if it has another, but the old one had two screws inside it.

Harley can't admit defeat lol but usually I'll pressure up a fuel line and vacuum test them if it's suspect. Better to be safe than go back in after it. Hope it's solved man.. Spark plugs and vents have made me feel so dumb over the years.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You do really need to go cut with it for some time to try the theory.. All the while listening to your tune

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Didn't find anything wrong with fuel lines. It's been running really well since the tank vent change; hasn't quit at all.
I don't know why Stihl keeps struggling with their tank vents, all they have to do is look at a 3400 Poulan and copy it. If I remember correctly they ran the line into the tank and put a duckbill valve on the end of the line inside the tank, lets air in but doesn't let fuel out..

Back