Frustrating to see happen to a friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
A friend/contractor has been doing some work at my home the last week (redoing ceilings) and he knows about the chainsaw thing I have going on. He mentioned he should bring his saw over so I said do and it showed up today.

He chuckled and said tell what all is missing...huh Stihl 029 super

So I take a look and first off I see he has two washers over the bar studs cornfused I ask him and he said it just didn't seem right to him so he did that. No way it could have oiled the bar. Clutch bearing was bone dry and not rotating. SO I removed the clutch and completely cleaned under it and around. Reinstalled and greased the bearing, but it still rotates a little stiff but the oil pump rotates a little stiff as well. I started it and it does oil well though so it I think it will be ok. BUt I took another look at the clutch cover......it said made in west Germany on it ruh roh. It looks to be a clutch cover off an 038 to me. I happened to have a spare 029 cover so I sawped them out and low and behold it fits perfectly without the washers on the bar studs. So I ask him where he got the saw?

He bought it from Ebay and picked it up locally. I know who the seller is as I watched his auctions. Never bought from him though. When this guy went over to pick the saw up the guy opened his shop door and he said there must have been a couple hundred parts saws everywhere. He said from what he saw he had a sinking feeling that he might have problems down the road. I guess the guy had several saws that where in a truck fire and he was going to part those into running saws he claimed.

So next I notice the muffler is loose. The muffler was completely shot. The guy cobbled a screen onto it and the cover only had two bolt holes in it as the lower part was missing. I remove the muffler and the better apart of the back and front of the muffler is gone. The center baffle and tubes that keep the muffler from being compressed are falling out. So now it needs a new muffler.

Piston has very light scratches but it does seem to run ok.

So next I figured I better take a look at the carb. It has a MS290 carb on it with the limiters in place so with the completely almost non-existent muffler it has been running very lean. Lucky it didn't lean seize. At least it did have the proper airfilter.

Also missing is the chip guard. No fuel tank vent. The nylon chain bump guards directly to the saw body. The saw thing is this guy paid a premium price for this as well. The whole saw is cobbled together, but the owner has had it for close to a year now so it has worked for him. Just not very well.

I try my best when I list something to express all that I can see is not right and be upfront as much as I can be. This seller it would seem is just taking advantage f people that don't really know any better and once they do it is to late to ding the guy and call him out.

Sorry it is long but had to vent. I will post a picture of the muffler tomorrow. I have yet to see muffler this bad. Thankfully it didn't damage the block side so the new one on order should seal up good.

A friend/contractor has been doing some work at my home the last week (redoing ceilings) and he knows about the chainsaw thing I have going on. He mentioned he should bring his saw over so I said do and it showed up today.

He chuckled and said tell what all is missing...huh Stihl 029 super

So I take a look and first off I see he has two washers over the bar studs cornfused I ask him and he said it just didn't seem right to him so he did that. No way it could have oiled the bar. Clutch bearing was bone dry and not rotating. SO I removed the clutch and completely cleaned under it and around. Reinstalled and greased the bearing, but it still rotates a little stiff but the oil pump rotates a little stiff as well. I started it and it does oil well though so it I think it will be ok. BUt I took another look at the clutch cover......it said made in west Germany on it ruh roh. It looks to be a clutch cover off an 038 to me. I happened to have a spare 029 cover so I sawped them out and low and behold it fits perfectly without the washers on the bar studs. So I ask him where he got the saw?

He bought it from Ebay and picked it up locally. I know who the seller is as I watched his auctions. Never bought from him though. When this guy went over to pick the saw up the guy opened his shop door and he said there must have been a couple hundred parts saws everywhere. He said from what he saw he had a sinking feeling that he might have problems down the road. I guess the guy had several saws that where in a truck fire and he was going to part those into running saws he claimed.

So next I notice the muffler is loose. The muffler was completely shot. The guy cobbled a screen onto it and the cover only had two bolt holes in it as the lower part was missing. I remove the muffler and the better apart of the back and front of the muffler is gone. The center baffle and tubes that keep the muffler from being compressed are falling out. So now it needs a new muffler.

Piston has very light scratches but it does seem to run ok.

So next I figured I better take a look at the carb. It has a MS290 carb on it with the limiters in place so with the completely almost non-existent muffler it has been running very lean. Lucky it didn't lean seize. At least it did have the proper airfilter.

Also missing is the chip guard. No fuel tank vent. The nylon chain bump guards directly to the saw body. The saw thing is this guy paid a premium price for this as well. The whole saw is cobbled together, but the owner has had it for close to a year now so it has worked for him. Just not very well.

I try my best when I list something to express all that I can see is not right and be upfront as much as I can be. This seller it would seem is just taking advantage f people that don't really know any better and once they do it is to late to ding the guy and call him out.

Sorry it is long but had to vent. I will post a picture of the muffler tomorrow. I have yet to see muffler this bad. Thankfully it didn't damage the block side so the new one on order should seal up good.

It is unfortunate that there are people in this world with absolutely no principles.
Makes you want to slap their parents.

You're a good friend for taking care of your buddy.

Just had the same thing happen. Had some friends buy a arctic cat zr500 and when they brought it home i got to looking at it and noticed it had a bent tunnel (cant be fixed) the jack shaft bearing was compleatly gone and the shaft was riding on the frame and the stators are famiously known for going around 3200-3600 miles and that sled has 3000. I hate being the bearer of bad news but i guess thats part of the description of bing a small engine mechanic...

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Caveat emptor.

It is sad that some people decide to profit by taking advantage of others. I know all about the "it's the free market, and he bought it on his own free will" argument, but I personally sleep better at night knowing that I haven't ripped anyone off.

Since it was an Ebay purchase, your friend should at least leave a realistic review of his item on the sellers history, if it isn't too late. Perhaps the next time the seller wants to sell a cobbled together piece of poop, at least it should be described as such in the heading.

Sorry to say, but:

You Get what you pay for. 99% of the time

I have seen people ruined, marriages broken up and many people lose THOUSANDS.

They were all trying to save a couple hundred or so dollars on a cheaper contractor.

Biggest mistake I see people make and they do it constantly.

Hacks are abundant. True professionals are few.

Adam

you just do what you can for your friends.
just something feels right about the opportunity to square away something and
get it back to them with a bit of advice for its longevity.

a bonus is getting in a few tips and tricks for making it look fun to use their machine.

sorta keeps a few of us, holdout, repair types from being totally tossed in the history pile.
=
for me:
my budget may be in the crapper, but still got some tools
and whatever knowledge that hasn't faded away.
so that's what I'm working with nowdays.

Last edited:
It will be good to go once I get the muffler for it and retune it and replace the missing parts.

It also has a broken fin on the flywheel. I will have to see if that is causing any vibration after it is all together:msp_unsure:

Sorry to say, but:

They were all trying to save a couple hundred or so dollars on a cheaper contractor.

Adam

I really didn't see this as him being cheap about getting a saw. I have sold several MS290s on ebay and not one of them was like the one he got. He just drew the short straw on a seller that to this day still has a 100% feedback. THis guy just isn't a very upfront person (seller) Dirty shame.

I sold a 290 recently and made sure right down to the little metal dish on the carb was all there and the people that bought that saw got one about as good as it gets. Actually better than that as it was retuned and muffler modded.

I have the saw all done now except for the new muffler which is on its way. Will he do it this way again I'm sure not. It could be worse. I would be willing to bet his next saw will come from me.

I really didn't see this as him being cheap about getting a saw. I have sold several MS290s on ebay and not one of them was like the one he got. He just drew the short straw on a seller that to this day still has a 100% feedback. THis guy just isn't a very upfront person (seller) Dirty shame.

I sold a 290 recently and made sure right down to the little metal dish on the carb was all there and the people that bought that saw got one about as good as it gets. Actually better than that as it was retuned and muffler modded.

I have the saw all done now except for the new muffler which is on its way. Will he do it this way again I'm sure not. It could be worse. I would be willing to bet his next saw will come from me.

I wouldn't let junk out of my shop either, he should be so lucky for a friend like you!

Sorry to say, but:

Adam

Did you actually read the post? The guy paid a premium price for that saw.

Did you actually read the post? The guy paid a premium price for that saw.

Yeah, a clear case where he didn't get what he paid for.

Unless the point was that he bought a used saw?

Mr. HE:cool:

The whole saw is cobbled together, but the owner has had it for close to a year now so it has worked for him. Just not very well.
end quote.

Not sure you can attribute everything to the previous owner if it has been unmaintained for a years worth of use. (dry bearings, etc) Some of the falling apart may be more recent... just sayin.

We have talked about the fact that even though it is completely cobbled (was) it has worked for the past year for him. He just didn't know any better. He has accepted that. I told him him he was lucky it didn't melt down.

My friend is not really upset. He said he had his doubts when he picked it up and his gut feeling was correct.

It also is running a 20" bar with 3/8 the way he received it. His plan is to get a bigger saw and then put an 18" on this saw. This set up seems a bit much for this saw to me, but it is getting the job done though. They heat their home with firewood with a wood furnace.

Helping a friend

Nice going struggle. It's always a good feeling to do a good deed every day, if you can. Usually we can.
There are many if not all the folks in this forum that would help another friend in need.
Again, nice job. Thumbs up to your for your generosity.:msp_thumbup:

Arrow13

Back