Full rebuild on a 123cc mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a video of the ole girl.
It's quite amazing the power and torque some of these
old saws have. For those that don't know. The 797 was
introduced in 1967, The Super 797 which is what i have
here was introduced in 1969. I absolutly love this model
saw. Very fun saw to run.
She's still running a bit fat and the mix is rich as well. But
still ran pretty damn good. Another happy rebuild.

Thanks to those who posted and showed interest.

Lee

Lee, my neighbor owns the local machine shop where they build 358 dirt car motors all day. The ONLY chainsaws he ever wants to talk about are these old Mac's. He tells me he used to have a go-kart with a MAC engine. I told him you crazy guys swap the kart engine into the saws, he just smiled and said "bet they rip!". Your saw collection is one of the AWESOME ones!

Lee, how do you store your saws? I only have one old mac, and it having a bullfrog carb and the carb kit being so hard to come by, I worry about the diaphram drying out. Between repairng customer stuff and trying to get enough firewood gathered for myself I just don't run it very often. Whats the longest you would go without running one?

Lee, how do you store your saws? I only have one old mac, and it having a bullfrog carb and the carb kit being so hard to come by, I worry about the diaphram drying out. Between repairng customer stuff and trying to get enough firewood gathered for myself I just don't run it very often. Whats the longest you would go without running one?

I have some saws that haven't run in a few years or so. Maybe 3 or 4 years.
I run 100LL avgas in all my saws do to the long shelf life and no ethanol that
destroys rubber components. Here's an example, I went to a small GTG a
couple weeks ago and two saws i brought hadn't been run in probably 4 or 5
years. A Mono AH81 motor and a Remington Pro 88. Filed them with gas and
a prime down the carb and off and running they were. Just as they were when
put away. Not saying this will work for everyone. I don't run them empty, i just
put them on the shelf with whats left in the tank.

Lee

That makes me feel a little more at ease then. I always buy 100% 93 octane and of course the oil has stabilizers, so I should be good running it two or three times a year. Thanks for the response! I always say that I'll never find a big McCulloch around my area, but you never know what might pop up one day.

That makes me feel a little more at ease then. I always buy 100% 93 octane and of course the oil has stabilizers, so I should be good running it two or three times a year. Thanks for the response! I always say that I'll never find a big McCulloch around my area, but you never know what might pop up one day.

Ya never know what can come up for sale.
Honestly, I have never bought a saw near
me. Most come from far and away.

Lee

Cool!
Them old saws have a sound all their own.

Very nice build. Question - where are you guys finding your parts for these old Macs? I scored a nice 440 a few weeks ago, and aside from a carb kit another member helped me find, parts suppliers are scarce.

Another nice job Lee!

I couldn't help but notice that it looks like this build only took one day? You must have had a nice stash of parts in order to pull this off that quickly!

NICE!

Brian

Very nice build. Question - where are you guys finding your parts for these old Macs? I scored a nice 440 a few weeks ago, and aside from a carb kit another member helped me find, parts suppliers are scarce.

Parts used to be no problem a few years ago.
But over the last year or so parts seemed to
have dried up quite a bit. Not so easy to find
these days. Keep checking ebay and asking
around for the stuff you need.

Another nice job Lee!

I couldn't help but notice that it looks like this build only took one day? You must have had a nice stash of parts in order to pull this off that quickly!

NICE!

Brian

Yup, One day rebuild, I stocked up on a few common parts
over the years so everything i needed i had on the shelf.
I like having the parts on hand so i can continue on a saw
with out having to wait for parts.

Lee

Lee, watching yours and Ambulls saws yesterday tear apart that massive trunk was awesome. The smell of the AV was sweet too. Very nice collection your brought!

Back