full rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ok,another stupid question i always split my firewood,but i was wandering if you were cuttting over a year ahead,would it be better to leave the wood unsplit till say 8 to 10 months time to burning?..........:popcorn:

Guess it depends on what type of wood it is, do you have to load the rounds in your vehicle, an what size the rounds are. For our softwoods you could do that. If they're big fir rounds hahaha, you will not be able to pick them up to load them. The small rounds 8" an under we just buck to length an throw them in the pile. Split the rounds for the wife if she complains :msp_wub:

Are you splitting by hand? Elm, sycamore, sweet gum, and some others won't split at all until they have sat for a few months. Oak, on the other hand, splits easily right away (usually) and wont dry at all until split.

I leave rounds for 9-10 months then stack the splits inside in heated basement for 3 months. Works real good so far.

Wood doesn't dry through the ends really. It needs to get opened up if you want to use it in a years time.

would it be better to leave the wood unsplit

No. I can't see anyway in which it would be better for burning. Might save you some storage room though. But, if the question is 'can it work?'; then I would say yes except for a few long seasoning required types of wood.

ok,another stupid question i always split my firewood,but i was wandering if you were cuttting over a year ahead,would it be better to leave the wood unsplit till say 8 to 10 months time to burning?..........:popcorn:

just depends. Better when you have access to go get the wood out, then split whenever you have the spare time when you cant go get wood because of not being able to get in and out.

I have tons stacked up now that still needs splitting, but going to start splitting real soon now as no more access until warm weather for the most part. Its just way nasty deep mud now.

Ideally yes, split as soon as cut, but sometimes your time is better spent just getting it out.

Once you are two years out split and stacked, you can apply this idea better.

There are some exceptions, such as hickory, it is such a bug magnet, better to get it split and stacked as soon as possible and drying.

I use both options as it depends on what the weather may do. I usually only get to cut in the winter so I have to get wood out to a reachable place during the rest of the year to get processed. On the farm I get to cut at I made an open spot in the middle of one of timbers that I drag, cut, split and stack right there. Not the optimum drying condition in the timber for air movement but no mess at home, it's hidden from most people and when the farmer gets the crops out in October I can start making runs after work to just get quick loads at home. Next year, my plan will change as the FIL has got me pretty well stocked up at his house! And yes, I procrastinate too!

I load a year's worth of rounds to the yard and stack 'em before bringing the splitter out of hibernation. It seems to be more efficient this way. The rounds may set a few months before I get to splitting.

Getting 'em out of the woods is a priority. It's lowland and floods during a good rain. The rounds would rot and become termite fodder if left there.

This method may not be best for everyone but most of our woodlot is sweetgum, red maple and red oak, all of which split well after setting in the round.

8 to 10 months drying time after splitting may not result in a good burn for some woods, even when left in the round for months. Firewood doesn't season much in the round ~ the bark retains moisture. The rounds will lose weight over time but they may not season much.

Personally speaking, I split the rounds as soon as I can. It's a little insurance that the wood will be well seasoned next heating season.

That begs the question: can you define "seasoned" in a way that will be acceptable to a majority? :confused2:

That's a trick question, since even the legal definitions are all over the place- so, no can do.

What we are hopefully talking about is air-drying to X percent moisture content, dry basis. Or we're simply arm-waving and posing as a knowledgeable type. Sorry, can't abide settling for fuzziness. :msp_biggrin:

For best air-drying, yes, buck & split & stack ASAP. Exposes most fiber to air for drying. KISS.

Latest posts

Back