Full skip chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been reading a lot of the old posts. Sorry guys. I'm :deadhorse: I hate doing that to ya's...

Last edited:
I don't run much skip chain expect on the 36" bar.

I think you would be happier with a good non safety semichisel. Carton semi chisel is great for the sandy/rocky areas i cut in. Holds an edge about 5 times longer than regular chisel chain.

i try to use chisel all the time, but sometimes i have no choice. Semi chisel seems to hold up a little better in the barbed wire trees I have ran into to an extent. You still have to sharpen it once in a while. LOL

A good ol sparkler when a chain hits a rock doesnt seem to do as much damage as the cutters seem to glance off the rock, but to me, skip would seem to give a better chance for the rock to get into more of the cutter, doing a lot more damage with skip chain?

Rsc

Freakingstang said:
I don't run much skip chain expect on the 36" bar.

I think you would be happier with a good non safety semichisel. Carton semi chisel is great for the sandy/rocky areas i cut in. Holds an edge about 5 times longer than regular chisel chain.

i try to use chisel all the time, but sometimes i have no choice. Semi chisel seems to hold up a little better in the barbed wire trees I have ran into to an extent. You still have to sharpen it once in a while. LOL

Right now I run 33RSC's on my 044. Just wondering if anything would hold up better or at least give me less sharpening time.

Yea

Mike Maas said:
Skip chain will be much faster and easier to sharpen if you dull it.
Semi-chisle will dull just as much as any other chain if you run into a rock.
Skip sequence will not dull more than full sequence chain if you hit a rock.
Stop hitting rocks.

I know I know. And no matter how careful I am I just seem to just touch one and I freak out. Ugh, it's frustrating sometimes. :bang:

You could go with semi chisel semi skip or full skip semi, or semi skip full chisel.
:jester:

ciscoguy01 said:
I know I know. And no matter how careful I am I just seem to just touch one and I freak out. Ugh, it's frustrating sometimes. :bang:
Don't cut all the way trough the log from one side if it is on the ground, cut about 80% trough and roll it over to finish.

It may also help to use as short a bar as the situation allows.

Yea

SawTroll said:
Don't cut all the way trough the log from one side if it is on the ground, cut about 80% trough and roll it over to finish.

It may also help to use as short a bar as the situation allows.

I know I know, I even do that too. Problem is where I cut mostly is tall tall grass and a bed of leaves about 6" thick. When I'm cutting, even if it's only half way through sometimes, they'll be a stone on the backside and POP, it gets me. I've even used one of those log holders that you put the log up on, most of the stones I hit are attached to like the bottom side of the log and no bigger than say a dime. I was wire brushing like every single cut, but dang, that takes forever, I gotta have some productivity, lol... I guess most of the time when I really hit the stones is when I'm cutting on old stone walls, the log will roll and make me just touch a stone for a second. I don't even file my rakers anymore because of it. Whatcha gonna do eh?:bang:

Latest posts

Back