Fungal spray????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am researching a new program for ornamentals for spring 08.

I am not sure what type of anti-fungal product to use. Any recommendations?

I would like to stay as organic as possible, or at least find an effective produce with the least environmental impact.

Thanks,

Themadd1

Perhaps Neem oil or a mix of water with baking soda.
I have heard of using Chamomile instead of captan to keep seeds from growing fungi when stratifying.

A variety of antifungal herbs:
Myrrh (Commiphora molmol)
tea tree oil (Melaleuca spp.)
citrus seed extract
pau d'arco tea (Tabebuia impetiginosa)
FENNEL
possesses anti-fungal properties
GARLIC
anti-fungal properties
GOLDEN SEAL ROOT
This kills many disease causing organisms e.g. bacteria, yeasts, fungi and parasites
OREGANO LEAF
The oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

Interesting information. I do have a 750 gallon sprayer so larger quantities would be necessary. Maybe something a little more commercial, I have over 600 customers and need to take care of the spring fungal sprays.

Including:
Anthracnose
Apple scab
powdery mildew
etc.

So I am thinking a cover spray that is a little more commercial would be best.

Thanks,

Themadd1

Turn on, tune in, drop out???

Okay man...I just thought that you were one of those hippies from an earth friendly place in time. A "love child" so to speak. I imagined you would appreciate herb. I was going to suggest Patchouli oil.
Here is info on a commercially viable bio product, RHAPSODY, it's organic:

http://www.agraquest.com/products/rhapsody/index.html

I occasionally use some on Japanese Maples. It hasn't killed them yet.

hippie.jpeg

Copper sulfate (bordeax mixture sp?) or micronized sulfur with a wetting agent such as insectisidal soap.

Someone told me copper sulfate is being phased out due to toxicity to aquatic organisms (are you spraying near streams or where runoff is an issue?)

You might want to consult Rodales books concerning organic pest/disease control.

Thanks for the info, and the pic. Is that you or just a photo you picked up somewhere. Anyway, not quite the hippy you originally took me for in the first place.

I use spinosad product for insects, and hort oil, MPede, etc. I just have to stay as non-toxic as possible for my own health and safety. I dont want to be out there spraying heavy pesticides/fungicides if I dont have to.

I dont usually spray around standing water/rivers/tide zones. On occasion a customer has a small coy pond but I cover those with a tarp before spraying. I usually wait until the trees have stopped dripping before removing the cover.

I will check out the book you recommended and hopefully will find something effective yet on the lower end of toxicity.

I work in very dense areas and dont want to have a problem with overspraying some house with a heavy pesticide. If there is an issue I would rather be able to tell the neighbor that the minor overspray is non-toxic, organic, etc.

:clap:

Looks like my grandfather. Scary picture. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt you before I said it.

:notrolls2:

just a photo I picked up...out of my family album. The wife took it a few years back. I've put on a bit of weight since then and have a little more grey in my beard.

Latest posts

Back