Funny story / Another great review..!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viper21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So.... for starters, I'm no pro. Not even close. I'm just a firewood guy for personal use. I cut maybe 10 cords/year for myself, & family. I'm also a 1 saw guy. I have a 2005 Husky 353. Bought it brand new 10yrs ago. Has been a great saw for me & my needs for the most part.

Even before I found this site..... I was fantasizing about a bigger saw..lol. In particular a 555. Wanted the extra power for obvious reasons, at times just wanted to see/feel the difference a 60cc class saw would make for my situation. Then you find a site like this, read a little & damn..... saw envy....

I usually cut with one other guy. We work together, & usually cut a fair amount of firewood together as we both rely on wood 100% for heat. He's a Stihl guy through & through. He runs a 290 as does the one other guy that cuts with us once in awhile. When sitting around & such, they both dog on my husky, even though it has hung with em for the last few years. Although, I would have to admit, they certainly had the edge.

The one thing that has kept me from getting a bigger saw, well.... besides the price... is I really like the weight of my 353. I've made a few cuts with my buddys 290 & it's noticeably heavier.

Well...... after reading a bunch of threads last winter....... I contacted Mastermind...LOL. Yes. In January, I made an appt. to get my saw done in October. Was tough..... while, MM had my saw, I got multiple requests to go cut with my buddy. I just gave excuses.........well.... of course I didn't want to tell him what I was doing....duh.

So.... I get my saw back a couple weeks ago. I mix up some 40:1 & fire her up........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... I started laughing. Well.... lets say giggling .....like a teenager. It sounded like a hot rod. I felt like I did when I put glass packs on my old stepside back in high school. My wife just rolled her eyes....

Put my new improved baby in some wood.......yikes. Talk about chew it up & spit it out...!! I've never cut with any saw that chewed it up like that, it was awesome. Then duty called, & I spent the next week or so busy as hell at work, & no play. Well..... finally the other day......Boom. My buddy & I went to go cut a load of firewood each. I had a **** eating grin on my face the whole time riding out into the woods.

So.... there we are, in the woods, almost a perfect set up. A good size red oak on the ground (roughly 18" diameter) probably have 25-30 ft of it left to block up. Buddy has no clue....yet..... We both fire up our saws, he starts on one end, I start on the other. My hot rod starts chewing up this log like nobodies business. I'm into my 4th cut, he's on his 2nd.... out of the corner of my eye, I see him look over...... keep chewing.....sounds like a drag race...lol. get to the middle, I've made 9-10 blocks, to his 4-5......... complete opposite of what has happened for years..... I can see the look on his face but, he's the type that doesn't pass out compliments, or praise.... more of a....... Hmmmm & head nod.

About half way into splitting these blocks...... out of nowhere he says," You put a new chain on or something..?" LOL.... I said yeah. Figured it was time. He says, "I figured, cause your saw was tearing up that log. I think I need a new chain".......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Might sound silly to some of youse guys but, I can't possibly tell the story well enough to have ya really feel how funny this was.

The bottom line...... If you, like me, have a saw you really dig....... don't want to spend the cash for a new one...... Mastermind it...! Cause.... DAMN. My little ol 353 runs like a raped ape now. I expected it to run strong..... but, I didn't expect it to be the hot rod it became. Impressive. If I ever can afford that 555, I'll be sending it to MM before I even put oil in it.....lol.

I'm looking forward to cutting another load later this week with my buddy....lol

Mastermind, if you're reading this...... Thanks again man.

Did you ever tell him, or just going to let him try to figure out how you got your new chain so sharp!

Did you ever tell him, or just going to let him try to figure out how you got your new chain so sharp!
LOL..... nah. I haven't told him yet. I figure he probably got a new chain already....hahahaha. I'm gonna get another trip in the woods out of it first. I figure after we cut again, & the result is similar.....he start asking more questions. Hell, if he looks, it's got MM's decal on it. I figured he see that & ask what it was. Pretty obvious the muffler isn't stock too. He just wasn't believing what he was seeing so..... he didn't investigate on my end. He's still thinking it's something on his end....LMAO. I'm gonna have a little more fun with him before I let em know exactly what happened. Unless of course he directly asks, or figures it out......

I had a **** eating grin on my face the whole time riding out into the woods.
Might sound silly to some of youse guys but, I can't possibly tell the story well enough to have ya really feel how funny this was.

Love it! Awesome post Viper. New life in old faithful courtesy of the monkey... that **** eatin' grim won't go away for a while. :clap:

Viper21
Awesome story! I'm grinnin' just thinking about the first time I had the privilege to run a MM saw. My brother had his 385 worked over by Randy. WOW what a powerhouse! Our Dad was there in the woods with us and my brother put his razor sharp full comp 3/8" chain laden 28" bar to a 26" red oak log and, Holy Toledo, did the chips fly. He did an undercut and was painting the woods with oak chips. Then he let me run it and I was amazed by the responsiveness, exhaust tone, and brute power that saw was making!
Right there with you buddy!

Great story and happy that you'll get another round of entertainment out of the deal. Dont let it stop there. Next time he asks tell him you put new high flow air filter in it and that must be it. Tell him you heard they made high flow filters and asked your dealer one. Huh, that must be it. :surprised3:

That's a great story, I'm sure even once he finds out you'll be telling that story for YEARS to come! Haha!

Okay..... time for an update. Thought some of youse guys could use another laugh...hahahaha.

So, it's been a couple months since I posted this thread originally. Sure was a fun day / good time that inspired this thread..lol. Well, in the couple months that have passed, I've certainly cut plenty more firewood. Without trying to sound like a broken record, again.... I couldn't be happier with my new improved 353. I still get a smile on my face every time I fire it up.

I've been out several times with the same buddy cutting firewood too. No.... I haven't told him what I did to mine...lol. The last couple trips to the woods were hilarious but, nothing compared to this last trip this past weekend. Remember my buddy is a Stihl guy through & through. He runs a 290. Again, prior to MM'ing my 353, he out cut me pretty regular. Was usually pretty snide about it too....LMAO. Well, he's not really said anything about my saw but, has tried multiple "fixes" to his saw lately. Obviously, he's bought multiple new chains, new air filter, etc. This weekend he tells me he put a new spark plug in, & that should "fix" his saw....lol

So we cut & cut, Im grinning the whole time. I'm still shocked he hasn't figured it out yet, as my saw is noticeably louder & duh.... has a huge port on the muffler but, he hasn't. So, like usual lately, he can't help himself, & asks to use mine for a few cuts. You can see the frustration on his face, Im dying. So is my teenage son who is totally in on the whole thing. After blocking up this tree with my saw he cuts it off, & says.....Wish my saw cut like this one......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

He then utters the words that put hell on notice of a pending ice storm. He says, damn.... my next saw might have to be a husky...!! LMAO....I tried not to show it but was dying laughing inside. After years of cutting together, & working together, & bs'n together, those are the first two positive statements I've ever heard him make about husky ever....lol. Usually there's a condescending tone to anything uttered about husky. I hold my best poker face, & just nod...hmmm. Well, they make a good saw is all I could muster. I had to turn away, & put my hand in my face to not bust out laughing out loud. My son & I couldn't look at each other or we'd have both lost it....... was absolutely hilarious.

Now, in fairness.... I won't let him go out & buy a new husky without telling him what's really up. I couldn't do that. If he was a wealthy guy & could afford it....sure but, he ain't. I'll probably wait till this cutting season is over, & let him in on it, & try to talk him into getting his saw done. However, I have had an absolutely awesome time cutting firewood with my buddy this year. This has been an extra bonus to having my saw MM'd.

Anyways..... thought I'd share. I'm still having a LOT of fun with my new toy...!! LMAO

So.... for starters, I'm no pro. Not even close. I'm just a firewood guy for personal use. I cut maybe 10 cords/year for myself, & family. I'm also a 1 saw guy. I have a 2005 Husky 353. Bought it brand new 10yrs ago. Has been a great saw for me & my needs for the most part.

Even before I found this site..... I was fantasizing about a bigger saw..lol. In particular a 555. Wanted the extra power for obvious reasons, at times just wanted to see/feel the difference a 60cc class saw would make for my situation. Then you find a site like this, read a little & damn..... saw envy....

I usually cut with one other guy. We work together, & usually cut a fair amount of firewood together as we both rely on wood 100% for heat. He's a Stihl guy through & through. He runs a 290 as does the one other guy that cuts with us once in awhile. When sitting around & such, they both dog on my husky, even though it has hung with em for the last few years. Although, I would have to admit, they certainly had the edge.

The one thing that has kept me from getting a bigger saw, well.... besides the price... is I really like the weight of my 353. I've made a few cuts with my buddys 290 & it's noticeably heavier.

Well...... after reading a bunch of threads last winter....... I contacted Mastermind...LOL. Yes. In January, I made an appt. to get my saw done in October. Was tough..... while, MM had my saw, I got multiple requests to go cut with my buddy. I just gave excuses.........well.... of course I didn't want to tell him what I was doing....duh.

So.... I get my saw back a couple weeks ago. I mix up some 40:1 & fire her up........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... I started laughing. Well.... lets say giggling .....like a teenager. It sounded like a hot rod. I felt like I did when I put glass packs on my old stepside back in high school. My wife just rolled her eyes....

Put my new improved baby in some wood.......yikes. Talk about chew it up & spit it out...!! I've never cut with any saw that chewed it up like that, it was awesome. Then duty called, & I spent the next week or so busy as hell at work, & no play. Well..... finally the other day......Boom. My buddy & I went to go cut a load of firewood each. I had a **** eating grin on my face the whole time riding out into the woods.

So.... there we are, in the woods, almost a perfect set up. A good size red oak on the ground (roughly 18" diameter) probably have 25-30 ft of it left to block up. Buddy has no clue....yet..... We both fire up our saws, he starts on one end, I start on the other. My hot rod starts chewing up this log like nobodies business. I'm into my 4th cut, he's on his 2nd.... out of the corner of my eye, I see him look over...... keep chewing.....sounds like a drag race...lol. get to the middle, I've made 9-10 blocks, to his 4-5......... complete opposite of what has happened for years..... I can see the look on his face but, he's the type that doesn't pass out compliments, or praise.... more of a....... Hmmmm & head nod.

About half way into splitting these blocks...... out of nowhere he says," You put a new chain on or something..?" LOL.... I said yeah. Figured it was time. He says, "I figured, cause your saw was tearing up that log. I think I need a new chain".......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Might sound silly to some of youse guys but, I can't possibly tell the story well enough to have ya really feel how funny this was.

The bottom line...... If you, like me, have a saw you really dig....... don't want to spend the cash for a new one...... Mastermind it...! Cause.... DAMN. My little ol 353 runs like a raped ape now. I expected it to run strong..... but, I didn't expect it to be the hot rod it became. Impressive. If I ever can afford that 555, I'll be sending it to MM before I even put oil in it.....lol.

I'm looking forward to cutting another load later this week with my buddy....lol

Mastermind, if you're reading this...... Thanks again man.
Just tell him you got a better spark plug and new piston rings and chain leave it at that

Just wait till he makes a sleeper saw out of his 290 and transplants a 390 engine inside... You will loose again...
Actually the engine can be bought very cheap completely assembeld. So if you were a friend that is what I would recomend.

Tell him you changed your mix to 42.4757761947:1

Keep us updated on his reaction when you finally let him in on it!

Latest posts

Back