Future Death

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbing is how he makes money, through sponsorship mainly. Theres no chance of him being allowed to make such climbs so he just does them. He does it for the same reason that we take measured risks every day-he does it because he likes what he does, hes good at it and it makes him money. Hes not really any different from any of us.
Although we often send others to risk there lives to make us money, I doubt whether we can claim the pure moral highground.

the difference between what this guy is doing and all the other sport analogies is generally people will use some sort of safety. helmets. ropes, PFD'd, etc, etc. he is endangering his family. and falling from a building isn't the same as falling from a plane. sure he may be able to move a little bit but is he experienced in base jumping or sky diving? and with the thought in his head that he is about to die do you think he will think about safety after he falls? he didn't think about it before he started.

rivahrat said:
the difference between what this guy is doing and all the other sport analogies is generally people will use some sort of safety. helmets. ropes, PFD'd, etc, etc. he is endangering his family. and falling from a building isn't the same as falling from a plane. sure he may be able to move a little bit but is he experienced in base jumping or sky diving? and with the thought in his head that he is about to die do you think he will think about safety after he falls? he didn't think about it before he started.
He is using safety. How long do you think he had to train to develop the arms for that? He obviously takes it seriously, which is a more effective form of safety than any helmet, rope, etc. With his determination, I would be willing to bet he'd be looking at the ground and aiming. Has anyone ever been hurt by an urban climber falling on them? I think you all are being unrealistic.

Tom Dunlap said:
That said, how do you feel about following workplace safety regs? Helmets, glasses...do you wear leg protection EVERY time you use a saw on the ground? How about chiming in on wearing spikes to prune trees? That's another hot topic lately. The criticisms of his free solo climbing and buildering are inconsistent with the lax attitude about safety and proper tree care. I'm confused...

I provide myself and my employees with gloves (warm weather, cold weather and leather for thorns), safety glasses (clear and tinted), steel toe logging boots for ground guys, steel toe climbers for......climbers, E rated hard hats with ear pro on them, saw proof chaps, arbor wear clothing and belts that can be used as a tourniquet, I send them to first aid and cpr training, EHAP training (you taught one of the courses), I have well stocked first aid kits and they all have company supplied cell phones for calling EMS.......I require that they use the equipment on the job. Is this to say I never pick up a saw with all of the proper gear........NO, that would be lying. I do try to make a habit of using it though. I do require that they use it every time. So I think it is fair to say I take safety serious. Most employers do not spend the time or money that I do to minimize the exposure to danger on the job. We only use spikes on removals and for aerial rescue......spiking on a prune is grounds for immediate termination. If you need to access the canopy use a big shot and footlock......if you can't footlock then I have ascenders.

Why you stompin' my sack over a unlawful, self-centered Frenchy?

i can only imagine.........

......how blueridge woulda' gone off on ol' ben, standin' out there in the rain with a kite string.

spacemule said:
Have you ever broken a law Xander? Do you think anyone is not self-centered?

Of course I've broken the law........but then this thread isn't about me. I have made some very poor choices in my life, as have most people. I have not however, made a career out of it. As an adult I do not make a habit of much less pride myself on misusing other people's property. This includes, borrowing without permission, trepassing, destroying (intentionally) or putting our public servants and our legal system out on wages/time so I can fulfill my adrenaline addictions. To sastisfy my insatiable need for adventure I find legal outlets and try and dial in as much safety in as possible.

As soon as you see me on the side of a building you can place me in the same catagory. Plus......I'm American.......and over 5' 6" :)

if you are a real climber

If you are a real climber then ...........????????????
You guys who talk down ...........???????
Remind me of a bunch of jealous school girls .
Sorry you missed the BUS.
:chainsaw:
Dark

DS,
Who exactly are you trying to say missed the bus?
We know very little of the people who post on here.

Making generalizations can only lead to embarassment.

I for one do not think this guy is a reckloose because I have choosen a hazard free life. I form my opinion because I have lived a full life and teetered on the edge many times. This was not because I needed the rush but because my job required it. I'm not afraid to die.........but I'm not in a hurry either! I wouldn't want to die due to pride or poor planning.

With good marketing he could get permission to climb the buildings. With a safety line he could talk about the time he could have fallen to his death.......instead of being another statistic.

xander9727 said:
With a safety line he could talk about the time he could have fallen to his death.......instead of being another statistic.
He's not been a "statistic" yet, and he seems to make a right good living. Do you think Jackie Chan would be as popular if he did not perform all of his dangerous stunts? I'm not talking about the tame ones in the American movies, but the older movies. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't understand people's dislike for this guy. Sure, he didn't have permission to climb some buildings, but I would be willing to bet the owner's got a kick out of it just the same. The only reason permission would be refused would be for liability issues. No?

cord arrow said:
......how blueridge woulda' gone off on ol' ben, standin' out there in the rain with a kite string.

Ben was endangering only himself. That makes it only his business.

Mike Maas said:
I can't see too much hazard in his falling on a bystander, I bet they keep folks out of his fall zone, once they see what he's up to.

Yep. They do that, "once they see what he's up to".

By the time the authorities get there, he's halfway up the building, having attracted the attention of a crowd that is drawn right into the danger zone. Haven't you guys seen videos of how this cretin works? He takes someone along to video him, and he just runs up to a building and starts climbing. No notice to anyone, no permission, no safety precautions for anyone around him. He just goes.

Who's he endangering? Are you for real? Is this guy Superman? Can't possibly fall?

And all this fawning talk about his skill and his muscles and his coordination?

What the :censored: does that have to do with anything?!?!?!?

BlueRidgeMark said:
Ben was endangering only himself. That makes it only his business.

somebody would have been inconvenienced. you know, gather up the body, dig the hole, say the prayers, shed the tears, that kind of thing.

you get this, correct?

Mule,
I don't dislike the guy.......I don't even know him. I just disagree with his behavior choices. There are a lot of people that I disagree with.......that has little to do with whether or not I like them.

The way I see this is that its a victimless crime first of all, and secondly usually the crime he is committing is nothing more than tresspassing. If you look at where the photos are taken, he moves from city to city, so he when he is arrested, its in a different jurisdicition, so regardless of the numerous times he commits these heinous (sic.) crimes, its not going to be looked on as a mulitple offense. I'm sure he pays some fines - more than likely amounting to a fraction of the money he gets from his sponsors. If i remember an article about him that was in the papers years ago, he has crew with him to keep the area below his climb free of passersby, so the only life he is risking is his own.

The fact is the guy is an amazing climber, my opinion is the guy is f - ing insane!! But so far he has proven those of us who think he is nuts wrong because he hasn't killed himself yet. He used to have his own website - and quite a cult following. I guess the one unfortunate thing is there will undoubtedly be those who will emulate him, perhaps without his amazing abilities. We had a young man here in fort wayne twice free climb a 12 story building downtown. The first time he got away, the second time he was arrested , and interestingly enough was discovered to be legally intoxicated!!

The pictures are certainly interesting!

First, this guy has huge balls, is crazy, is ultra confident take your pick. I can't understand him, doesn't matter, he is doing his own thing. I knew Tom would get unsafe treework practices in here somewhere (that was a pretty good Cheney crack though). I have freeclimbed trees when I took my steelcore off to go around branches, but my spurs were stuck in good and I can hold my own body wieght easily with one hand, done it when I gaffed out. Plus I clicked in again as soon as possible, buddy has nothing. I also one hand saws, so what, no comparison to this guy. He has no fear that I can see, none at all. It is a little fear that keeps us alive, a little fear and common sense are good for us. Anyone that says they have never been scared climbing is lying, if not they should be doing something on the ground.

He not only loves climbing but I am guessing that he loves that fact that all over the world people talk about him just like us here and that we would debate for hours about him.

I think people that are in the publics eye all the time... actors, musicians, athletes..... Use the theory that any publicity good or bad is considered good publicity. They are talked about for awhile and then they are worth more.

We sit here debating about him and we are just fueling the fire.

Darin, Great thread and some awesome pictures. The guys got talent but lacks brains. Throw a safety line on, get permission and then you have both.

Just throwing change in the jar.

Clearance - here is an idea for when you encounter a branch and have to pass your steelcore over it. Keep a loop of webbing, and simply girth hitch it around the tree as a safety back up while you are unhooked to pass by the limb. I find it takes only a few seconds. I keep several lenghts of webbing on my belt, I find them very useful -for hand holds, footholds, hanging tools, and tying in while moving my lanyard, and for assistance in balancing when leaning to making off balance cuts.

Back