G.r.c.s.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may have been my carelessness but I had a couple of times this summer when transitioning from lift to lower that I lost wraps on the drum. It almost seemed as if there was tension that remained on the first wrap allowing the other 3 wraps to uncoil and come off.
Phil

You do not have to stand in line with it to keep it leading fair, you can use the pigtail as a redirect and stand almost anywhere.

That's great to know! Yesterday we were removing some banyon limbs and my boss was using the GRCS but using it from the opposite end of the pigtails. He lost some wraps on the drum and it near ripped his hand into the spool. Scary.

jp:D

That's great to know! Yesterday we were removing some banyon limbs and my boss was using the GRCS but using it from the opposite end of the pigtails. He lost some wraps on the drum and it near ripped his hand into the spool. Scary.

I would gladly come out and do some training. I would gladly do it for the cost of 2 airline tickets from MKE, round trip, in advance.

redirect for groundie safety

Quick question, I am relatively new to the GRCS. Can the groundie be at any side to the GRCS, or does the rope have to go through the pig tail things on that end... (or can it be reversed and used from the other side, to keep the groundie from being under the load)?? Hope that is clear...

I used one to raise platforms into trees by winching them up. As the winching postion is under the work eventually one of the winchers had a dropped piece of gear careem of his helmet.
In reflection I wonder if the GRCS could be secured to another postion out of the drop zone and a redirect used on the tree in question. Would that have the GRCS potentially creep laterally [circlularly on another tree] if the the bull line was pulling horizontally on it?

SOP for us is to try and never rig the GRCS to the tree we are working on. That said find a suitable tree that is close, strap the GRCS on and about 10' up if you can install a block. That way the line feeds in from the top. Pete

Like Pete says, redirects can work well. I find that the rope can get in the way, and with the added angles you loose MA

My preference is to have it on the other side of the tree from the LZ.

I like a high rig point that is away from the trunk to, for more efficient rigging.

Rune one or more redirects to pull the rigging close to the trunk, a primary block up in the top center, then a secondary block, or natural crotch farther out in the canopy.

This works best on larger trees, but can be used on smaller ones. It also requires more climbing to set the secondary rig point, but I find I can rig larger pieces easier.

I would respectfully suggest that you guys are very close to inadvertently giving out some bogus rigging advice in terms of lateral redirects, particularly those entering the target tree via pulley placement high on the trunk.

The tremendous loads exerted during Hobbs or GRCS operations should always be applied in a parrallel direction to the strongest wood structure that exists in the target tree, if this means multiple pulley placement in the target tree to follow that wood structure, you should do so to avoid leveraged tear outs or tree toppling scenarios.

The Hobbs or GRCS should be placed as low and securely on the target tree as possible. After every major load is safely on the ground, the securement strap should be tightened to ensure the device stays put and can't ride up the tapered trunk as it wants to do in a big way.

Root system integrity inspection prior to high force rigging take downs are always a very good idea. Keeping a very watchful eye on the whole tree's motion during dynamic loading is also a very good idea. Be moderate in choosing the size and weight of your picks to avoid highly dynamic shockloading of the rigging system of which the tree and root system are an integral part of.

The more closely your rigging bull line can parrallel the natural wood structure that exists in your target tree, the safer your operation will be for everyone working the job.

Work safe!

jomoco

ratchet straps

Ok, you can get the jib hauled in with the winch and you can get the main hauled with the fiddle blocks. how do you use the spinnaker pole again?

all kidding aside does anyone use a ratcheting system to rig pulleys up in the tree similar to how the GCRS is secured to the base?

I purchased my GRCS last month at the TCIA Expo. Best investment to date. Still learning all the in's and out's of using it.

Meeting Greg Good and Frans at the Expo and seeing them demo the GRCS was great. Truly an impressive device.

GRCS on ebay

There's a GRCS listed on ebay. 'First one I've seen on there so I thought I'd mention it. It reads pickup only but maybe the guy could be convinced to ship it. I don't know anything about or have any connection to the seller.
Phil
GRCS on ebay

I looked for months on ebay, I knew one would show up as soon as I paid full price for mine, and I was right, LOL.

Oh well, apparently the newer models do have design improvements, and the dozen or so times I used it before that one sold on ebay was well worth the extra $1500.

I have to admit that much of the time the skills I have developed over the years to deal with tricky rigging situations are made obsolete by the capabilities of the GRCS.

Anyone want to try one out? I am bored and rested at the moment. If you are close enough (like: AR, MO, KS, or OK) and want to rent a GRCS and operator or climber/GRCS combo for the day give me a PM.

Hey there fellas,

Im the one that won the ebay auction. Though I dont have the unit yet, its supposed to be here tomorrow (Im watching ups tracking).

I talked to the seller and he had only bought it about 2 yrs ago from sherrill. I think the latest mods were only a couple yrs ago.

Im pretty excited to get it. Ive already got work lined out to use it on.

When it arrives, ill post back and report on its condition.

Hey there fellas,

Im the one that won the ebay auction. Though I dont have the unit yet, its supposed to be here tomorrow (Im watching ups tracking).

I talked to the seller and he had only bought it about 2 yrs ago from sherrill. I think the latest mods were only a couple yrs ago.

Im pretty excited to get it. Ive already got work lined out to use it on.

When it arrives, ill post back and report on its condition.

Congrulations.

That is awesome, way awesome.

I have never had the privelage to use a GRCS, i am part time and dont think it would be feesible, at this time....but one day.

I would have loved to been there at the video of the GRCS v. HOBBS...it was right up the street...a few years ago.

Post some pics please..$ 950 is a great price...i hope it works out for the best for you.

Canyon

Showed up last nite...heres a couple pics..

The unit is definatly used but still a good deal.

The rachet bar was missing. Apparently the box busted during shipment. I talked to the seller and everythings good. I found 1 this am at a truck parts place here for $15. The new one is chrome and painted yellow on one end. Itll be hard to lose.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am jellous....that is such a awesome deal.

It looks like it has been used...but no means the end....great deal.

Awesome...let us know how it works out.

Canyon

Back