Game of logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought game of logging was this ??
pic735027.jpg

Don't bother me any, Quebec style French was actually my first spoken language. (What my parents speak). I don't know how to write it all that well, but I can figure it out to read pretty well. Enough that I got 4 credits in college for French by just taking a test on the computer.

Actually, quite a few have degrees. I've met several who have business degrees, forestry degrees, geology, and philosophy. At one time, rumor had it that there was a former opera singer falling timber.

Boy howdy, you are going to make a wunnerful impression if you work with logging contracts (loggers). It might be amusing, or not, to be the fly on the wall.
so when someone says "Man can that saw sing".. it may not have been the saw?

How many loggers have a 4 year degree? Its a way of life much like farming its passed down through generations. There is no need for them to pursue a degree.

You quoted me so I will return the favor.

You may want to avoid blanket statements..... Just a thought.

I do not fall into that blanket statement by a long shot.
I have some college, until I realized that I was picking classes based on what would let me ski more or what had a multiple choice exam. (not real good reasons to do schooling) so I stopped, dropped out and went to work for the FS for a few years because I wanted to work in the woods. I cleaned toilets for them, was a "sanitary engineer" I decided that I wanted to go to school to be a forester after that. Took one class which was how to write a resume', and got a job with Plum Creek marking timber. I looked closely at the foresters, their lifestyle and what they made for income. I walked away from that career, just figured it wasn't what I wanted for me. Did a lot of other stuff, was a pastor for 9 years, did insurance work.....started some businesses that failed.

My dad was a psychologist and truck driver (weird combo), died when I was 15, no one in my family has ever logged.

But somehow I ended up there.
Go figureo_O

I am not a logger... I am educated, as stated most loggers are generation loggers, it is passed down... The game of logging is a certification that has 5 levels and has a national competition. It does require specific techniques and safety precautions such as plunge cutting to fell a tree. Each task is assigned a point value. We are asked to fell trees with lean in a given direction that will hit a said point and a 1 point deduction is taken for every inch off. When cutting the instructor will take points off for taking more than 2 steps without your chain break activated. It would allow me to be payed to over see cutting on State Land in Pa. I am more interested in the marking, calculating value, grading and writing ENS plans as a career.

I was just wondering if there are any members that are certified on here, so I could find out more on how points are taken... I want that saw!

That looks exactly like the chainsaw class I took Saturday given by the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief team. I had never in all my 67 yrs saw a tree cut down like that, but it sure works. To run a saw in SBDF, this class is mandatory, but all pass, they are all volunteers .

It would allow me to be payed to over see cutting on State Land in Pa.

Are you suggesting the PA DCNR requires it's timber management foresters to take a GOL course?

If you're looking for a certified saw class to boost your (basic) skills and employment potential, I suggest finding an NWCG accredited training center and take an S-212 wildland chainsaw class.

Are you suggesting the PA DCNR requires it's timber management foresters to take a GOL course?

If you're looking for a certified saw class to boost your (basic) skills and employment potential, I suggest finding an NWCG accredited training center and take an S-212 wildland chainsaw class.

Finally some real help. It had good spelling and punctuation, too. I gave it a, "Like".

I'm bored so I will comment. Education vs experience. Happens in all fields of work. In the Army, the experienced and proficient enlisted soldier is led by a Lieutenant. The LT has a degree, and not much else. After working for 20 or 30 years the stigma still follows most enlisted. Working as a contractor that supports the Army, I have seen time and time again where a prior enlisted is not selected to lead a new division due to some recently retired Colonel being selected because they were a prior Officer even though the EX enlisted now has a college degree. In fields of work that can get you killed, people tend to go with proficiency as the measuring stick and leave degrees and years of meaningless experience to lead the safer areas of work.
Logging can get one killed. Book learning is trumped by proficiency. Occasionally there comes along a proficient, experienced worker that has the supporting education. Nothing wrong with pursuing a degree. Just be sure the guy you are following has actually done the task before.

I always wanted to have pilots be required to Paint their check ride scores on the back of their helmets. Or maybe on the back of their wings.

Be safe.

I'm bored so I will comment. Education vs experience. Happens in all fields of work. In the Army, the experienced and proficient enlisted soldier is led by a Lieutenant. The LT has a degree, and not much else. After working for 20 or 30 years the stigma still follows most enlisted. Working as a contractor that supports the Army, I have seen time and time again where a prior enlisted is not selected to lead a new division due to some recently retired Colonel being selected because they were a prior Officer even though the EX enlisted now has a college degree. In fields of work that can get you killed, people tend to go with proficiency as the measuring stick and leave degrees and years of meaningless experience to lead the safer areas of work.
Logging can get one killed. Book learning is trumped by proficiency. Occasionally there comes along a proficient, experienced worker that has the supporting education. Nothing wrong with pursuing a degree. Just be sure the guy you are following has actually done the task before.

I always wanted to have pilots be required to Paint their check ride scores on the back of their helmets. Or maybe on the back of their wings.

Be safe.

Yes to the above.

Now a major thread high-jack.

Education V. Experience

In general--obviously different positions and different employers will add variables--I've noticed the following over the decades:

At one time a HS diploma was suffcient, and even GEDs were acceptable. Employers were more interested in hands-on experience than education level.

As time passed more emphasis was placed on education, i.e. a HSD became a requirement.

As more time passed some college became a requirement for employment. Eventually a college degree was required. And now some employers require an advanced degree.

The huge downside is some companies automatically toss any application and/or resume that doesn't meet their education level requirements....even if the person has years of experience AND a proven track record of achievement.

I worked in litigation support with people who knew the business inside & out, but couldn't advance (in some cases couldn't move on to a better company) because of their lack of education. But a person with with the "right" education and zero experience could get hired for a management position.

Around here if you know what you are doing ,and know the right people ,will always have a paycheck . I never hire on the education ,tried that ,the few i did had no real world experience ,not saying there are not some real good ones with education ,but the ones that grew up around the trade in my area knew way more than the college guys .

An old fellow I knew once told me (just before I went to university) "Don't go to school for too long or you'll miss out on your education"

I couldn't sit still long enough to accomplish the degree I was working toward (7 years of school), but I learned a lot that I do apply in day-to-day life at university. That being said, I grew up on a farm and had a ton of experience working with my hands. There are very few things I can't fix, and I pick up on the theory of new things quickly because I've seen 'old versions' of the same things before. Like if you really know 4 stroke engines, you can learn 2 strokes with less effort.. if you know 2 strokes you can learn Wankel rotaries, and if you know all of those diesels will just take a few new concepts... You need to have a solid base to work from though.

Yes to the above.

Now a major thread high-jack.

Education V. Experience

In general--obviously different positions and different employers will add variables--I've noticed the following over the decades:

At one time a HS diploma was suffcient, and even GEDs were acceptable. Employers were more interested in hands-on experience than education level.

As time passed more emphasis was placed on education, i.e. a HSD became a requirement.

As more time passed some college became a requirement for employment. Eventually a college degree was required. And now some employers require an advanced degree.

The huge downside is some companies automatically toss any application and/or resume that doesn't meet their education level requirements....even if the person has years of experience AND a proven track record of achievement.

I worked in litigation support with people who knew the business inside & out, but couldn't advance (in some cases couldn't move on to a better company) because of their lack of education. But a person with with the "right" education and zero experience could get hired for a management position.
Sad, but true believe me I hate spending money on college. I figured it be nice to have a degree as it looks better than just a high school diploma.

By all means, get that degree! But don't act snooty about it and keep your ears open and continue learning after you have that degree. In fact, you'll probably learn more afterward (if you are good) than you did in school.

I'm retired and loving it but I put in 32 years in the woods with the gubmint, :crazy2: the majority working in timber sales admin--"overseeing" timber sale operations. One choker setter told me I had the perfect job. I don't know about that, but it was sure interesting.

Around here if you know what you are doing ,and know the right people ,will always have a paycheck . I never hire on the education ,tried that ,the few i did had no real world experience ,not saying there are not some real good ones with education ,but the ones that grew up around the trade in my area knew way more than the college guys .

Trades are a different story favoring experience over education, but my (limited) understanding is certification requirements have worked there way into some--but certainly not all--companies hiring policies.

Latest posts

Back