Gas or Diesel you decide!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman31

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I ran across this engine in an old motor grader at an estate sale. The oldest son said it was there before his time and he looked to be in his 60's. The only marking I could find on the unit was "adams" on the front wheel hubs.

Anybody got any ideas on this setup? start on gas and run on kerosene or distillate? seems like a lot of extra expense for an injection pump, injectors lines mounting, etc.!

Looks likean old International Harvestor engine and yes you are right. You start the engine on gas and once running and warmed up some you pull a lever that does three things. It raises the compression, shuts of the ignition and starts the injection pump. You dont want to start putting money in one tha needs much work unless you have a large bank account.

Looks likean old International Harvestor engine and yes you are right. You start the engine on gas and once running and warmed up some you pull a lever that does three things. It raises the compression, shuts of the ignition and starts the injection pump. You dont want to start putting money in one tha needs much work unless you have a large bank account.

Right on. We had a TD-9 crawler that had a similar engine. It is a great engine as long as everything is set up right. One day, our TD-9 wasn't starting as quickly as my uncle wanted, so he kicked the changeover lever and bent the linkage. After that, the old girl could only be pull started with a tractor. I had the parts to fix it, but not enough time.

Unless it has spark plugs don't you dare put gas into it. The best way to start something like that would be to "drop" it down a steep hill and pray it has good brakes and have some one hitting the intake with some ether. If you have some better pictures of your machine send me a PM and I will get you my email address I have some older folks here that know what most every old machine is just by looking at it.

Back