gasification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarryBob

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a gasification unit. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any opinions? Any brand suggestions, I've found about 1/2 dozen out there: Tram, Greenwood, New Horizon, Alt Fuel Burners, Black Bear, Veissman, Alt heating systems, etc.. I would really just like to buy the unit, tie it into my oil-FHW system, and not need to buy a bunch of extra stuff to complete the job.

I'm thinking about a gasification unit. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any opinions? Any brand suggestions, I've found about 1/2 dozen out there: Tram, Greenwood, New Horizon, Alt Fuel Burners, Black Bear, Veissman, Alt heating systems, etc.. I would really just like to buy the unit, tie it into my oil-FHW system, and not need to buy a bunch of extra stuff to complete the job.

Are you talking about wood producer gas?

Years ago I looked into making a homebrew wood gas producer unit but concluded that burning the wood directly was more efficient for me.

Wood gas....I been thinking about it very long but ethonal is better for me...

Wood gas stoves.....we have one at work, Junk! eshland=junk

Thats about what I know.

The Greenwood unit looks pretty nice. Simple too.
Any idea of the cost of them? I'd consider one.

jim

Thanks for your replies. I am looking for first hand experience with wood fired gasification boilers.

Well, My co-worker looked long and hard at them 2 years ago and he ended up buying an AHS. He loves it. He heats his radiant floor system with it and he said it works as advertised.

I have a tarm unit with the heat storage water tank option. runs the radiant heat floor in my new house, as well as the domestic hot water. easy on wood and maintenance. you won't be going wrong with a purchase of this unit

I have a tarm unit with the heat storage water tank option. runs the radiant heat floor in my new house, as well as the domestic hot water. easy on wood and maintenance. you won't be going wrong with a purchase of this unit

I researched gasifiers HARD before i finally went with the AHS multi fuel boiler ( non gasification) i wanted to burn coal so gasification was not an option.
The Tarm was WAY, WAY more expensive than any of the other units I looked at. It also pretty much required the big water storage tank to get quality burn times which would take up too much room in my garage. Also, the wood needs to be cut pretty short to fit inside the boiler. Depite all that, i was still headed toward the Tarm ( before I decided to just burn 20% wood and 80% coal )I called the Tarm rep and almost fell out of my chair when he told me the price !!

Tarms

We bought a Tarm 5 years ago, with the LP gas backup and hot water options and the water storage unit. The unit provides both hot water and heat (forced hot air), We go through 4-5 cords a year. In the summer we just use gas, since all we need is hot water.

Water storage was key - in the shoulder seasons you only have to fire up the unit 2-3 times a week. When the temp goes to single digits, it's 2-3 times a day.

It was expensive, though part of that was the pluumbing was tied into an existing solar hot water system.

The unit repplaced an electric furnace, so our payback period may be shorter than most.

I have been looking at gasification type boilers for the past year. I have posted the following information before, but in case you missed it I will repeat. I will be burning wood only, so the companies that I have been looking into are: Seton, Garn-WHS, Greenwood - hydronic wood furnace, Alternating Heating Systems - Wood Gun and the New Horizon – EKO.
the Seton and Greenwood are essentially the same unit.
I have also looked into the HS Tarm, but it looks as though the Tarm is somewhat limited to the east coast for installation, support and distribution. they are also one of the most expensive, but they are one of the best.
I have been told that none of these are true gasifiers because a gasifier produces a gas which is piped somewhere else for use.
They are either down draft or just refractory lined burners of various designs.
However, I guess they are, in a way, gasification boilers in that they all burn at very high temps, around 2,000 degrees, in a secondary chamber.
One of the problems is that they cost from 1-1/2 to 2 times that of a standard outdoor furnace.
I think the benefits and return is there to justify the added cost though.
Part of the added costs is that most are pressured boilers.
Some of the benefits of a pressurized system is they typically have a longer operating life span.
They use little or no chemicals.
all of the gasification type boilers burn more efficiently - use about 1/3 less wood than that of a standard out door furnace.
They burn more completely - the secondary chamber reaches temps from 1,500 to 2,000 degrees. At these temps, the gasses and creosote are burned, so there’s less smoke, less ash and very low emissions.
They are physically smaller in size. The exception would be the Garn which stores energy in a water jacket that surrounds the boiler. The Tarm incorporates a stand alone heat storage tank to store the energy.
I think in the near future there will be an EPA maximum emission limit (.250 gm/1,000 BTUs) for out door boilers and furnaces and the only units that I know of that will be able to meet the standards will be the “gasification” type boilers.
I have it narrowed down to either the Garn or the Alternate heating boiler, but that's subject to change.

In the same boat here. Costs all seem to be similar. Never heard of the GARN but I like what Ive seen so far.

Gasifacation Boilers

Check out wdheat.com .They just came out with a new one that passes all the new emission control standards that are coming out next year.
Later Curt:greenchainsaw:

I bought a Garn.

after over a year of research, I ended up buying a Garn.
it was the most expensive unit. but, in the past year of googling, I have not read any negative comments about it except the cost and delivery.
ordered it two months ago and still waiting for it.
I guess they have more orders than they can fill in a reasonable time.

Here is the unit I have. Just got it and put it in 3 weeks ago. It's the E100 woodgun from Alt. Heating Systems. So far I love it. We'll see how it compares to the old wood boiler this winter.

jer427...did you get the SS model?? Funny how when you talk with dealers that don't use stainless they say how bad it is and visa versa. Now with AHS...they sell both stainless and non, right?

Here is the unit I have. Just got it and put it in 3 weeks ago. It's the E100 woodgun from Alt. Heating Systems. So far I love it. We'll see how it compares to the old wood boiler this winter.

Very nice looking unit Jer.

Latest posts

Back