Gaskets and sealants applied to them, why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennisthemenace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gents, I'm in the process of putting the cases of a 064 together. I've previously done 2 x 084s.
For the 084s I used one of the popular sealants on dry gasket material and had no leaks. But I know that in the future those gaskets will be stuck on and take a lot of care to get off without marking the mating faces.
I'm from the industrial Refrigeration trade where big machines and gaskets need to seal against 450 psi at least compared to the 10 psi of saws.
We just soaked the gaskets in oil overnight and then applied lithium grease. On return a year later for the annual service those gaskets would just fall off in your hand leaving a clean surface and no scraping required.
Why do we not use a similar method with saws? Thin mating surfaces? Distance between case bolts?
Perhaps I will do an experiment but a 1988 064 is maybe not the saw to take risks with

We are talking cylinder base gaskets?
Personally, I do not use any sealant and fit the gaskets dry if using one. Yamabond only comes out if the gasket is/can be deleted- or I cannot be bothered waiting for my local shop to add gaskets to backorders, or cannot be bothered making my own gaskets.

We are talking cylinder base gaskets?
Personally, I do not use any sealant and fit the gaskets dry if using one. Yamabond only comes out if the gasket is/can be deleted- or I cannot be bothered waiting for my local shop to add gaskets to backorders, or cannot be bothered making my own gaskets.
G'day Bob, I'm talking cylinder and case.
Especially case. I never put sealant on the cylinder gskts, just grease and or oil and never had a problem whether paper like 1124 or metal like 1122 saws.
And the paper ones come straight off, easy.
What do you do with case gkts?
Been a drop of rain over there I heard

G'day Bob, I'm talking cylinder and case.
Especially case. I never put sealant on the cylinder gskts, just grease and or oil and never had a problem whether paper like 1124 or metal like 1122 saws.
And the paper ones come straight off, easy.
What do you do with case gkts?
Been a drop of rain over there I heard
Case gaskets- it depends on the quality/rigidity of the individual gaskets and things like location of locating pins. I will sometimes use a thin coat of sealant to one side of the case to help hold it in position on that case half- but generally have not had any problems fitting them dry.

Na mate, thats the other Island up top- we have not had any real rain since Christmas.

Latest posts

Back