Gaskets: buy or make your own?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log Hogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Most small engines I've rebuilt, I just make my own gaskets if I can find the right material, if they fail it's a PITA but not much else. Obviously that isn't the case with chainsaws. Do you guys make your own gaskets when building saws? Are there any pitfalls to making gaskets for chainsaws?

I'm itching to tear down my Husqvarna 445 to do some mild porting, or if I lose my nerve I'll just grind out any irregularities in the transfer runners. Only thing holding me back is Husqvarna doesn't even sell gaskets for the transfer covers, which has me wondering if it's because they're difficult or impossible to reinstall with a good seal. Do the pro Huskies have transfer covers or is it just the clamshell saws?

Does anyone see a problem with making all the cylinder gaskets? Supplies and tools are no problem, what worries me is air leaks burning up the saw. I tried searching the forums, but the hits were all about base gaskets and squish, not applicable to a clamshell design.

Found a thread on transfer covers

Some more searching revealed <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1762400">this thread on transfer cover gaskets.</a> Builders have had success with both making their own and using ThreeBond 1194 sealant. Tip of the hat to Brad on the sealant rec.

That leaves the base gaskets and intake gasket, which seem less risky to me - less surface area and more rigid mating surfaces. Anyone know what sort of material is used for these? I'm just trying to avoid too much down time on my saw. The Stihl dealers in my area keep large inventories and if they have to order a part they get it fast. The Husqvarna dealers seem to be managed by a more seat-of-the-pants approach. Not trying to generalize, this is only the stores closest to me.

Back