Gave my new 361 it's first good workout today ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcdjohnson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just got in from cutting a few face cord of firewood with the 361, it's the first time I have actually put it to a good test. I left the 460 in the garage, as I wanted to see how the 361 would do. Here are my thoughts:
I noticed the high revs right from the start, the chain seemed like it was really screaming. However, if I tried to force it too hard into the wood, it would bog & the chain would stop (a LOT quicker than what I'm used to with the 460). However, once I got adjusted to the saw, that was not an issue. I cut various hard wood; maple, cherry, elm, ash, ranging from 8" to 22" diameter. I only have a 16" bar, so I had the whole bar buried a bunch of times, and it keep chewing away. I really like the 361, it cuts nice & was very comfortable to handle. The 361 is a fast cutting, high-reving saw, but the torque & low end power did not impress me a lot, but I'm used to running the 460, so that's expected. Also, the 361 is not broke in yet. All in all, for a light, 59cc saw, I'm very pleased with this saw, for the medium size firewood I was cutting today, it worked great ........ I like the 361 a lot, but the 460 is still my favorite.

I had pretty much the exact same impressions with my new 361 buit I have an 18" bar. I'm very pleased with it and it cuts very well for my use. It was awesome on the Red Oak I bucked the other day until I hurt my back being stupid.

The only question is I don't know if I have an oil leak or not but there seems to be an awful lot of oil running off the saw for a couple of hours after cutting it is adjusted to EMatic. Are you experiencing this as well? Also not much oil flings either. I've never had a Stihl and just thought I would ask your experience.

MS361 - suggested bar size

I have been working with a POS craftsman 40cc 18" bar for 4 years and I'm going to buy a 361 soon, but I also wanted to get a larger bar. I know you can go up to a 25" on this model but it won't run as hard as a 20". Some trees I am removing are up to 3' at the base so I was going to get a 20" and a 25" bar knowing there will be performance differences.

Any suggestions?

bmcdjohnson. Your 361 is new so it will gain power when it loosens up and the rings seat, and definitely open up the muffler, there is a lot to gain there.

opaque It sounds like you need a bigger saw. 441, 460, 372, 7900 you get the idea.

Last edited:
I have been working with a POS craftsman 40cc 18" bar for 4 years and I'm going to buy a 361 soon, but I also wanted to get a larger bar. I know you can go up to a 25" on this model but it won't run as hard as a 20". Some trees I am removing are up to 3' at the base so I was going to get a 20" and a 25" bar knowing there will be performance differences.

Any suggestions?

Mine is outfitted with a 20, no problems here

The only question is I don't know if I have an oil leak or not but there seems to be an awful lot of oil running off the saw for a couple of hours after cutting it is adjusted to EMatic. Are you experiencing this as well?

I have not noticed any oil leaking on mine. I have the oiler turned all the way up (probably overkill for a 16" bar) but I would rather have too much, than not enough. It seemed to oil fine, I was using better than 1/2 tank of oil per every fill up of gas.

I know the saw will wake up more after it's broken in, my 460 woke up a ton. I'm not dissapointed in the power of the 361, it's just very different from running the 460. They say the 361 runs more like a Husky, I've never ran a husky to compare, but I can say it is different than any other Stihl I have used.

During the week I went out the bush and got three ute loads of dead hard wood. I used my 116si for one and the FIL MS460 for the other two. After using the Stihl which is quite a bit bigger than my saw I have decided I need to save the extra cash for an MS660. No more 60cc saws for me.Hopefully after tax return time I'll have the spare cash. Can't wait!

Back