Generac or Kohler whole home standby generator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Kohler is too cheap to use valve cover gaskets but instead relies on blue glue to seal the valve covers, that is IMO, the pinnacle of cheap Kawasaki does (use valve cover gasket). I know, I have both engines.
No pressure on valve covers, they don't need much to seal.

Keep in mind that Generac designed their own V twin engine they use in their non diesel generators. Don't know who builds them but I do know who designed them. Generac also uses Ford Industrial gas engines and JD diesels (in my case).

I've seen a few of their V twin 995cc engines and they are very nicely assembled with socket head cap screws, a solid indicator of quality IMO.

No pressure on valve covers, they don't need much to seal.
Bull shitte. No pressure but still bathed in motor oil so they have to be sealed or they leak. Have one of them as well and I had to make gaskets for the valve covers because they don't provide them.

No pressure on your valve covers on your car either but put the valve cover on, sans gasket and report back after a few runs.

Bull shitte. No pressure but still bathed in motor oil so they have to be sealed or they leak. Have one of them as well and I had to make gaskets for the valve covers because they don't provide them.

No pressure on your valve covers on your car either but put the valve cover on, sans gasket and report back after a few runs.
Bull shitte is right, my Kohlers don't leak and nobody else I know has ever had that complaint.

Actually there are a lot, and I mean a lot of manufacturers that use rtv in place of a gasket. It's not a new trend either.

Whatever and I bet you've never adjusted your valves either. Blue Glue has it's place but not as a non gasket replacement.
I've probably adjusted more valves than 99% of the members here, and RTV is actually called gasket maker if you read the directions on the tube.

Whatever and I bet you've never adjusted your valves either. Blue Glue has it's place but not as a non gasket replacement.
I've spent the vast majority of my life as a heavy duty diesel tech, I've adjusted thousands of valves. Rtv or a paper/rubber/cork gasket never made any difference. Honestly, I prefer a good rtv over a gasket. Less issues.

Bull shitte is right, my Kohlers don't leak and nobody else I know has ever had that complaint.

6.5 hp Kohler on our splitter, 6 years old on it’s seventh season of use, I couldn’t tell you if it has a valve cover gasket or not, I’ve never had a reason to take the valve cover off. I can tell you that it has never dripped a drop of oil, around the valve cover, or anywhere else

It’s been dead reliable, I’d buy another Kohler without any hesitation

Doug 😎

I've spent the vast majority of my life as a heavy duty diesel tech, I've adjusted thousands of valves. Rtv or a paper/rubber/cork gasket never made any difference. Honestly, I prefer a good rtv over a gasket. Less issues.
I don't actually because excessive RTV can and will migrate into an engine and especially on smaller ones, clog things up if used excessively. I prefer using DDEC Anaerobic sealant (I do believe you know what that is) Of course the 'average Joe' cannot buy it as it's a technician's sealant and not available retail. Either that or Kubota 3 Bond.

On the subject of the 'venerable' Honda engines, I tossed a rod in a almost new Honda GS overhead cam engine and my local Honda dealer refused warranty. The GS engine uses a synthetic rubber belt, running in oil, to drive the cam. The belt on mine failed at 3 hours and caused the rod to grenade. Something about loosing timing that causes that when running at speed. Dealer said it was 'lack of oil' which was BS.

My small engine 'fleet' is now almost all HF Predator engines.

Yep mostly alum. Heat transfer/ radiation is why. The better units will have cylinder sleeves . cheap ones no. the mfgs have gone to plastic cam shafts- ain't working out too well from what i hear. plastic carbs- they warp. cost cutting for the mfg, pia for the consumer. electric- won't even go there

I wouldn't brag too much about Onan. Anyone in the marine business (self included) will tell you they're the shittiest company in the industry to work with.
My original post should have read they do NOT make things like they used to. I have worked on many onan rv generators, and I agree with your comment. with the exception I am talking about a 30+ year old engine that was made with American sweat and parts. You aren't dealing with Onan anymore, you are dealing with Cummins. Now every engine company, Kohler, Generac, Honda, etc., make it where you can't get parts except from a dealer. Have to get that mark-up.

I'm in Southern Maryland, Calvert County, along the Chesapeake Bay. I got a GENERAC whole house generator this spring. We're prone to a lot of storms and power goes out quite frequently. After dealing with hooking up a portable generator for years and only being able to run select items, we said the heck with it and opted for the whole enchilada and took the plunge. The generator has only come on twice due to power loss. once for about 15 minutes and another time for about 8 hours. The piece of mind it brings to this old man....72 is priceless. It was installed by CALVERT GENERATOR https://calvertgenerator.business.site/ (shameless plug) he was great and did the sale and installation start to finish. beat the "big city dealer" by thousands of dollars. Highly recommended if you live in southern Maryland.

Generac's (all models, propane, NG as well as diesel) (and all other stand alone brands) will 'exercise every week on a pre set schedule. They will not exercise under load however, just no load.. Do that to keep the bearings rolling free and the engine internal components with oil on-in them. The smaller ones are splash lubricated, the larger ones are pressure lubed and have oil filters too.

You can program them how often to exercise and when to exercise. Depending on the switch gear you can do loaded run time as well. I'm not sure if generac was/is offering it, but quite a few manufacturers started installing small load banks in their diesel generators to deal with aftertreatment issues from being light loaded all the time.
It was actually one of the biggest issues we saw with generarors. The older diesels would never fully get up to temp and slobber like crazy plugging the exhaust manifold, piping and muffler. Normally tossing a load bank on them and giving them a solid load for a few hours would keep them cleaned out. Seen more then a few to the point where the exhaust caught fire internally from all the soot and snott built up. The newer engines have the same issues, just worse with all the emissions equipment. They can't be left to run for long periods of time for the same reasons, however they cost a lot more to fix then just loading them up. I know kohler, power secure, and multiquip all started installing them. I'm 90% sure the generac we had at the township also had a built in load bank, but it was also ran under load once a month.
Really the same applies to any liquid cooled engine, they just don't get worked very hard sitting there doing nothing. Another issue is everyone wants to spec a generator thats too big for their needs. You really want to see at least 60%load in use at any given time, really we liked to see an 80% load but that wasn't practical in some installations.

Back