Getting a Stihl 290 Farm Boss to live up to expectations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the continued help guys! As of now, muffler mod is done and brand new out of the box chain installed. Timberline sharpener will be here in another day or two to address the other chains. I might make it down to the property tonight and do a little cutting and carb tuning. Well see how the rest of the work day goes.

My main concern is what chain pitch and gauge it is set up for. If it has a 3/8 chain on a .325 bar and sprocket will do all kinds of bad things. Please look at your bar and check gauge and pitch markings. Also check clutch for damage from using mismatched chain/drivers. I suspect you should be using .325.

Mod the muffler. It's simple and easy to do on this saw. There are many threads here on how to do it. Just don't over do it. After that run a 18" bar .325 chain. That will help. These saws are a great homeowner/weekend warrior saw.

as others have said the filters can clog easily. and they are not cheap. i use starting fluid (do it outside) to clean them out and then blow them out with air. i run a .325 chain on a 16" bar. can't remember rs or rm as i have a bunch of chains for different saws. i do think the ms250 can saw a little faster but i run the picco chain.3/8 low pro i think.
edit: i only run Stihl chain.

I wold second or fourth whatever it is. Your chain really isn't sharp.

And a muffler mod is the easiest, fastest and cheapest mod you can do. Then retuned the saw. It will make it a beast and increase your cut times 20 to 30% I bet!

Thanks for all the continued help guys! As of now, muffler mod is done and brand new out of the box chain installed. Timberline sharpener will be here in another day or two to address the other chains. I might make it down to the property tonight and do a little cutting and carb tuning. Well see how the rest of the work day goes.
Also not that the angles on your sharpener are not precise. I have to set mine to about 65 to get close to 60°angle on the back.

I bet your angles are all off. Take a brand new chain and set the wheel to just barely kiss the surfaces and you will Thenjoy closely re create the factory angles

Also not that the angles on your sharpener are not precise. I have to set mine to about 65 to get close to 60°angle on the back.

I bet your angles are all off. Take a brand new chain and set the wheel to just barely kiss the surfaces and you will Thenjoy closely re create the factory angles

I have no sharpener yet. I ordered the timberline sharpener and I'm waiting for it to get here. This chain was sharpened using my brothers dremel type sharpener. I can GUARANTEE the angles are off! That's why I bought the Timberline for myself. Saw has brand new chain on it now. Haven't cut with it yet

My main concern is what chain pitch and gauge it is set up for. If it has a 3/8 chain on a .325 bar and sprocket will do all kinds of bad things. Please look at your bar and check gauge and pitch markings. Also check clutch for damage from using mismatched chain/drivers. I suspect you should be using .325.

Something is askew. The box has a hand written label stating that it's 3/8, however, the chart on the back from the manufacturer indicates the 12 stamping on the drive links is indeed .325. Pictures added below

Ok this is the new chain. The handwritten note says 3/8 but the manufacturer chart on the back indicates that the drive links stamped 12 are indeed .325 which is what I need. It's .050 instead of .063, but from what I'm reading, that's ok.

Attachments

• 20160412_200115.jpg
    20160412_200115.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20160412_200124.jpg
    20160412_200124.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20160412_200253.jpg
    20160412_200253.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20160412_200321.jpg
    20160412_200321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

So here's the video of me running it. I didn't make it to the property so here in the city garage will have to do for now. My only comparison for sound is youtube videos via laptop speakers. Not the greatest source. I guess I don't really know what to listen for. It sounds ok to me, but I'm paranoid of it being to lean.

hard to tell for sure but sounds like its 4stroking just fine at WOT. whats more important for tuning is how it acts coming out of a long bucking cut and how long it takes to revert to 4stroking when you take pressure off in the cut.

these saws are somewhat notorious for being a little heavy for the power they make, but are certainly reliable and fairly durable. with an 039/390 top end, they are imo one of the best budget "one saw plans" out there.

Ok this is the new chain. The handwritten note says 3/8 but the manufacturer chart on the back indicates that the drive links stamped 12 are indeed .325 which is what I need. It's .050 instead of .063, but from what I'm reading, that's ok.
.063 is what you need for the .325 .063 grove bar.

.063 is what you need for the .325 .063 grove bar.

Correct. My other chains are .063. This one is .050, which from what I'm reading, can be used without problems aside from the sloppy fit in the bar making it more difficult to sharpen correctly. Am I getting that right?

these saws are somewhat notorious for being a little heavy for the power they make, but are certainly reliable and fairly durable. with an 039/390 top end, they are imo one of the best budget "one saw plans" out there.

I like the idea of the 039 top end and haven't ruled it out. However, until there's a practical need, I'm putting it off.

You need. 063 chain for 063 bar.

I see timberline sharpener. I was thinking timber tuff grinder. Yea that will make a huge difference. I Gaurentee you your chain is jacked up

Latest posts

Back