Getting Back into the Swing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I missed all last firewood season with a shoulder injury. But I am getting back in the swing this season. In times past, I would be posting this in the McCulloch thread but I can't seem to put down my little WWS MS361 long enough to pick up any of my old MACs. This is my first ported saw and it certainly has impressed me. Today, I used it to whittle this red oak down to size, my second tree of the season (first was also a red oak of similar diameter but not as tall - ProMac800 did the falling and heavy work on that one; this tree was felled by the power company's tree contractor):

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0930.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

To the woodlot with my first and only load of the day as brush piling and loading ate up most of my time.
IMG_0944-001.JPG

Next two - maybe this coming week. I love red oak.

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

I'm looking forward to a good 15/16 season. I hope yours goes well too.

Ron

I love red oak as well such a great wood.
Glad you are having fun with your 361. Good saws.

Those are some monster rounds. How did you load them? And how you going to split them?
I was thinking the same thing. Also wondering how he hurt his shoulder. Messing with sticks that big I could understand.

I loaded them with my little Deere and forks. The only picture I have is when I broke a lift arm in 2012. These short logs are too heavy for the tractor - pulls the front wheels off the ground. But the site had a downhill slope I could drive down which kept the log tight and gave me maximum leverage. Steer as needed with the brakes. Trailer was also parked downhill so I just had to slowly backup the ramps and dump the log.

IMG_2415.JPG

I also have a small boom I can attach for skidding. I can pick up about one half of one of those short logs before the added leverage overcomes my front end weight; it is much better suited to picking up one round at a time for loading.

IMG_2554.JPG
I just cut and leave the splitting to others. Rounds like these are usually quartered. The ministry just got a new skidder mounted splitter so it remains to be seen if quartering will be a thing of the past.

Can't remember what I was doing at the time but it was while I was cutting wood, I tore my rotator cuff and my bicep in May, 2013. Big rounds can kill you. In 2010 I shredded the lining of my carotid artery while trying to move a 52" red oak round. Put me out of commission for a while and on stroke watch for a year; while convalescing I went to Terry Landrum's first GTG - I couldn't even carry my saw much less run one. As long as I am able I will likely keep cutting wood.

Here's the biggest rounds I have ever cut (as well as the biggest diameter tree I have ever felled - over 6' at the falling cut):
IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2970.JPG IMG_2972.JPG
The fellow in the picture is the landowner. His tractor is one or two sizes up from mine and would be better suited for what I do, but a man can't have everything.

Ron

Looks like thar 361 will stay very busy in your hands.
Man that is a huge tree!

I don't mess with trying to move rounds that big. Why not use one of those big macs as a noodle saw and hack 'em up into smaller pieces that won't tear you up like that? That's how I do mine. Right after they (big ones) get bucked off, I take my 288xp to 'em and it goes really fast. Noodling cuts quick because you are cutting with grain. Makes huge piles of noodles you might have to haul off, depending on where you are.

As long as I am able I will likely keep cutting wood.
:thumbup:
Crashed my mountain bike and tore the rotator in my right shoulder in two places (in addition to busting the clavicle) 2 years ago. It's been a long road back, but cutting wood is great therapy if you can't stand the death by elastic band boredom therapy the Dr. prescribes.

No doubt about it, those rounds will be a real workout for your saw. Nice set up.. Glad your doing better.

John

I don't mess with trying to move rounds that big. Why not use one of those big macs as a noodle saw and hack 'em up into smaller pieces that won't tear you up like that? That's how I do mine. ... .

Thanks, I have done so in the past. Can noodle two at a time with the MACs. Can also quarter prior to bucking. Usually I don't load or haul. We were short handed yesterday so I was working alone. It is easier for me to move with the tractor and let them finish at the wood lot. Also leaves less mess on-site.

The round that hurt me was laying flat in a blind curve of a county road, I was trying to stand it up so I could noodle it.

I cut and bucked the really big tree as a favor. I don't know what the LO did with the rounds.

Ron

:thumbup:
Crashed my mountain bike and tore the rotator in my right shoulder in two places (in addition to busting the clavicle) 2 years ago. It's been a long road back, but cutting wood is great therapy if you can't stand the death by elastic band boredom therapy the Dr. prescribes.
I didn't really believe the doctor when he told me that recovery from my RC surgery would be 6 months to a year. After six weeks of therapy I'm just now starting to break out the 4lb weights, and those suckers feel like a hundred pounds! I'm outta commission this fall myself but hope to be splitting small rounds with the splitter soon. Just glad I had set aside a semi-decent supply of wood for this winter.

Broke the tib/fib at the ankle better than 3 years ago , firewood physio therapy sure helped me and got me to were I am now .
Most people can't tell even though I qualify for a handicap plate , but it's sure been a long hard road , learned a lot .

Back