Getting into a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Accessing a tree, which method do you use the most often?

• ladder

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • rope

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • mechanical lift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • spurs (leg climbers)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
i use an 8 ft steel core flip line. if i'm going up tree bigger than that. i'll throw my climbing line to the first crotch or 2 and body thrust up or have 2 men on the rope and just run up the stick. there have been times on some real big oaks that i take 2 climbing lines and just keep throwing them up over limbs til i'm at wood i could get a belt around. i also have a 12 ft flip line if i need it on the way down to piece out the wood. i gave away my 16 ft belt. if i need a belt that big i'm going home.
my bashlins go with me every where. its the odd occaision i don't spike a tree. the only time i dont spike is pruning a city tree or a nice ornamental tree. sorry guys but its how i was taught. climbing with out spikes is alot tougher and eats up the time. i was taught to production cut. now i work with a certified arborist so its nice to learn alot about trees. but i still spike them all.
our big joke is 10 big wacks or 100 small cuts the tree still looks the same.

Actualy it just takes time to learn to climb off spikes.

Any statement that a gaff wound is like a prunning cut is ignorant BS:eek:. Lean more about CODIT and how the tree uses resourses to protect itself from decay causing pathogens, the ones that frst get inot the wound and can break the chemical bariers the tree sets up.

Each time the tree has to set up these "walls" it uses energy, loses storage and transport capacity. Each time a pathogen is able to cross the barier the problem gets worse.

I've seen spiked trees with cankers around the wound, I've seen them die too.

If you can body thrust, you can foot lock. Get a thowbag and some ascenders, or a prussick cord. If the tree is staying don't spike_it!

If you want me to get into the differance between big cuts and small ones, I'd be happy to jump on the soapbox again.

It took me a bit to wean myself from spikes, but i made the decision after viewing the evidence and did.

In trade for my efforts i have greater pride, healthier and pretty trees.

But also, i have depended on that simple rope more; i have gotten closer to it, and listened to more of its secrets. i don't know about anyone else; but reaching this level of understanding has improved my understanding of rope in rigging immensely; enough to make up for anytime lost generally.

Ya might try to evolve there in the simpler stuff at least; see how good ye are. It is truly the next level of competiton, can you rise to it?

Back