Getting rid of standing oak trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich9082

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning~

I'm new to this site and had a question about getting rid of standing timber. I live in Conn and want to hire someone to take down several oak trees in my yard. I don't want the trunks but I'm interested in most of the larger branches. I didn know if anyone was interested in doing this and keeping the larger trunks for themselves. The trees are about 40-50' tall and approx. 18-24" round. Any advice or anyone interested in the wood, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Good morning~

Thanks to everyone that has answered my request. I'm located in Bristol,Ct and the reason that I had wanted to get rid of the trunks is that they're so darn big. I didn't want to have to go out and buy another saw. I'm running an old Stihl 034 right now w/a 16" bar. I have a wood stove myself and currently have approx. 3 cord of wood now in my yard. I thought that if it would help me out somewhat to just get rid of the trunks and keep the larger branches for extra wood for myself.
Any advice would help or anyone interested in taking down some of these trees w/me whose interested in the trunks, just let me know.
Thanks again.
Rich

Originally posted by netree
It's going to be tough to find someone willing to come and take them down "just for the wood".

At least not an insured professional w/ real overhead. Most mills will shy away from "city" trees, because of all the crap you can find in them.

My dad works with people in Metro Boston and they will pay $300 a cord for seasoned firewood, but not out here in the sticks.

Rich, you might be able to solve your situation by contacting Woodmizer. They sell portable badsaw mills and have a list of referrals of people looking for "free" logs. Cordwood on the stump is worth about $10 a cord right now but only in triaxle "truckloads" quantity.

Be very wary of letting somebody uninsured work on your property.

Thanks for the help Mike. I actually have two different guys who are insured coming out tomorrow to have a look at them.
Thanks again,
Rich

Originally posted by Newfie
Rich, you might be able to solve your situation by contacting Woodmizer.
Good tip. I had a Woodmizer out the last 2 days, cutting pine for structural timber, hardwood for floors, and cedar for closet walls. After hearing where lumber prices have gone, it was time to do a little stand thinning.

Latest posts

Back