Getting serious, now what saw to use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ythedude

Reaction score
Question is easy. I am an amateur arborist been carving about 1 year now. Only about 30 carvings. But people like them enough to buy them so I need to up my game. I currently run 3 stihl saws. 181c with fine tip. 1st gen ms250 , and a ms460 magnum fire bigger cuts. Don’t care for the 181c with dime tip just dosent feel right in my hands. Any suggestions?

I just started carving and have 2 3' carvings completed so far. Wife wanted them near our entry door so they must be okay. I made them out of fir tree that was felled recently. I just felled a cedar tree and going to start carving it soon. Was told by pro carver that it will be easier to carve. My carving tools: 362, 211 with Stihl 12" carving bar, MSE 140 110V saw and Milwaukee 12V with about 6" bar(whiskers, teeth, etc...).

I have done carving all of my life and I have used many chainsaws for this purpose. First of all you need to have top handle chainsaw. If you are not interested in top handle, then these are some of the best chainsaws I have found perfect for carving purposes:

• BLACK+DECKER LCS1020
  • Oregon CS1500
  • Milwaukee M18
Apart from these, husqvarna and echo have also good chainsaws, you can check them out too if you don't have budget issues.

Question is easy. I am an amateur arborist been carving about 1 year now. Only about 30 carvings. But people like them enough to buy them so I need to up my game. I currently run 3 stihl saws. 181c with fine tip. 1st gen ms250 , and a ms460 magnum fire bigger cuts. Don’t care for the 181c with dime tip just dosent feel right in my hands. Any suggestions?
MS 194 or MS 151

Latest posts

Back