Getting the absolute most mileage from your saw chain WTF? (Pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This came in today on a 24" Stihl MS660. Talk about stretching the absolute complete life out of the chain, jeez........

SawChain.jpg

Last edited:
That is how far I go. I sharpen until the cutters begin breaking off. On Oregon chain, that point is the witness marks.

Whoever sharpened that chain knows what they are doing. Look how smooth the cutter bottom is just above the tie strap. The filer keeps a very consistent file depth.

Got a 36" loop on the filing rig right now, that looks like that, and another just as far gone waiting.
Both have a date with an ugly old White Oak along a 100yr old fenceline.

I kinda like the way they cut when they get that far back.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

on a 66 a bar any shorter than 25 inch is a waste of power (30 on mine) the owner of that chain is not frugil but economic( chains any length ... let alone long ones aren't cheap) . why on earth would you constantly put a new chain on when the whole idea of the indicator markers on the chain .................... is to guide you as to just how far the manufacturer (designed an tested by) suggests you can go without any real ill effects (if sharpened correctly ) oh an on the right way LOL also recommened is to not run really old chain on a brand new bar.. but who listens to recommendations .

Latest posts

Back