Ghetto grapple skidder idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I've also been toying with the idea of building a log skidder. I probably will never actualy build it. But day dreaming helps me get through the other wise boring work days.

I figured out so far:

300-6 Ford, 4+4 trany behind it. Plus a 2spd trans case. Use two semi truck axles with something in the range 6.00:1 gears ratios. Articulated frame with the cab on the front half right above the blade. Engine on the back half with a wrecker boom and a cable winch. The other thing is buy a set a "mat tracks." Basicly you have "Quad track" setup up. Make it not more than about 4-5 ft wide and about 12-14 ft long. add a 5-6Ft blade on the front.

Like I said, For what it's worth.
Sod breaker

Bobcat 430 excavator

I've got some areas I'd like to open up, but don't want big equipment to fit when done (like pulling a single cull tree out of a young stand). I've been planning on using a logging arch behind my atv, but then it dawned on me - a utility tractor/backhoe would just need a grapple fabbed up, and I'd have better pulling power.

So is this idea nuts? I can do all the fab work, I just don't know if a bucket boom would hold up to being tugged on like that? My biggest trees are only 18" DBH, and I already figured on topping them before dragging out.

I also need the hoe for digging stumps and such, so it wouldn't be a special purchase.

Hi Jim,
I have a Bobcat 430, and I have found it to be invaluable for pulling, digging, lifting, pushing, clearing. As well as a tree falling aid when close to buildings, or select logging. As far as pulling is concerned, you want to be careful about fully extending the arm and pulling via backing up, you should not do this. You should set the machine as close as you can to the log to be pulled. Choke the log to your bucket and pull it via retracting the arm. You have a push blade on an excavator, set the end of the log on the push blade, lift the blade which lifts the end of the log off the ground. Choke the log onto the blade and back the machine out pulling the log with you. You can do this with multable logs too. Good luck.

Cedar

Back