Giant firewood tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut down a 7 foot cottonwood last Saturday. The picture is the right half of it.
?? QUESTION IS?? did you rope the tree since it was over 10 feet tall?? !! JK !! nice to see a real tree taken down by a person with real experience! enough wood there to keep you warm a dozen times before it sees the stove....

There is no wood that is useless, some are far down on the btu scale for sure, but not worthless. Let that wood dry, theres heat in there.
I absolutely agree. The fact of the matter is, I run man size Blaze King stoves and get 10 plus hour burn times with this wood. I agree, it is not oak or maple. Out here, trees are scarce and this is our best option. It is interesting, the wood of these big ones is actually quite good, it burns about like elm. This tree will produce about 12 cords .

I second the blaze king stoves Stihltheone! Hands down best stove money can buy in my pea brain opinion. Growing up in eastern Oregon, dad loaded ours with red fir and tamarack (western larch) which at times felt like it was enough to melt iron. I couldn't imagine shoving one full of oak or hickory for some eastern gents here, more than one occasion at 0*F was EVERY window in the house open LOL! Nice 66 and nice stick too by the by, safe cuttin sir

Out of curiosity, how long will it take you to cut, split and stack all of that? Thanks

Out of curiosity, how long will it take you to cut, split and stack all of that? Thanks
As of Sunday afternoon, all of the limbs are cut to 16 inches, all of the brush is in 2 piles and the field is clean and ready to go. All that is left to do is noodle the huge pieces down to a reasonable size to put on the splitter and whittle up the trunk. I will have a weekend finishing that much and a day or so splitting.

Nice one! I am winding up about a total of 12.5 cord from oakzilla here. This is counting the first go around when the tree guys trimmed all the limbs. I'm still not near done, took a hiatus when my 394 needed some repairs then the weather went too wet and nasty for me to bother with it. I'll get back to it soon, saw is fixed now.

Looks like that was the last tree standing on earth. The pic kinda looks creepy to me, as I don't recall ever been outside and not had a view of a tree in my life. Not even on a trip to the big city.

Nice one! I am winding up about a total of 12.5 cord from oakzilla here. This is counting the first go around when the tree guys trimmed all the limbs. I'm still not near done, took a hiatus when my 394 needed some repairs then the weather went too wet and nasty for me to bother with it. I'll get back to it soon, saw is fixed now.
That's incredible.

A big aspen up here is a shade over a half cord. There are some dandys up and down the hill from my hunting cabin but I've only had to buck one that fell across the road and it was already punky. I'd say they would push closer to a cord.

Even a big Norway pine up here would only go a cord and a half if you scrounged limbs and all.

That's incredible.

A big aspen up here is a shade over a half cord. There are some dandys up and down the hill from my hunting cabin but I've only had to buck one that fell across the road and it was already punky. I'd say they would push closer to a cord.

Even a big Norway pine up here would only go a cord and a half if you scrounged limbs and all.

There are some huge trees up and down the east coast. They aren't redwoods, but some spreads are simply incredible, and if you milk the branches out, tons of wood. Oakzilla, near as I have seen, was around the third largest tree in the county here, and last one to be cut down. there's a lot around *almost* as big though.

I know tomtrees has gotten some whoppers off of long island, they get killer good moisture there and the warm gulf stream currents. When all the american elms died off though, we lost a lot of old giants. These were old since earliest settler days trees in a lot of cases, villages grew up around them. Most of the rest of the old growth have been long ago logged off though.

Back