Give me some info on this saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your saw was built in 1989.
That's all I know about it, but I am suprised it doesn't have a chain brake as the Partners had them long before that.

I'm not that surprised at the no chainbrake. Back in them days I think there were options given to the manufactures in the kickback devices and Poulan chose to incorperate the small radius bars and safety chains alot instead of going with the chain brakes.

Since this is actually a "Poulan" saw it figures that they ditched the brakes on them.

I also was thinking be the serial # and the type 1 that it was a 89 model.

I'm thinking that this is a closed port model also.

Just Curious.

Where does White figure into the Poulan ownership timeline? Since the tag said White Consolidated.

Is this the same White that bought out Oliver and Minneapolis Moline and also own Freightliner and Western Star?

White Consolidated Industries, Inc. started out as White Manufacturing Company in 1958; name changed a time or two and became White Consolidated in 1964. It was acquired by Electrolux in 1986 as a means of increasing its (Electrolux's) presence in the US market.

Last edited:
If Electrolux bought Poulan/Weedeater from Emerson Elect, in 78 what brought the White name into the mix if they were not aquired untill 86?

As I understand it, Electrolux wanted to use White Consolidated to move their products in the US market at a higher volume than they had enjoyed to that point.

Although pure speculation on my part, I figure that Electrolux saw a benefit (no pun intended) in using an established US company to push Electrolux products in North America. The best way to accomplish that in the manner that suited Electrolux was to purchase (and therefore fully control) an existing, well-known US company.

The above (with the exception of the last paragraph) came from this <a href="http://www.answers.com/topic/white-consolidated-industries-inc">source.</a>

My earlier post came from "Chainsaws: A History."

The web source lists Poulan/Weedeater as a principal subsidiary of White Consolidated, but does not clarify whether Poulan/Weedeater only became so after the 1986 acquisition. From what I have read so far it would appear that this is the case.

Perhaps Electrolux owned Poulan/Weedeater since 1978, but in 1986 purchased White Consolidated so that they (White) could move that line of saws in the US on Electrolux's behalf?

I will keep reading on this and hopefully add to what I have come up with to this point.

Interesting stuff!

:cheers:

Interesting stuff here. My dad worked for the construction tool division of White. It was a company called Blawnox. They made paving machines and drag buckets. I think White pillaged the place just as they did Poulan. Took all the newer tooling and left the older divisions to fend for themselves. I know somewhere allong the lines the pension plan was decimated and left for the US Treasury to bail out.

One last bit on White. I know the OP wasn't necessarily interested in their involvement as much as he is interested in the specific history of the PP325.

This <A HREF="http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=WCII">source</a> lists the original (White) company as having been originally founded in 1866.

One last bit on White. I know the OP wasn't necessarily interested in their involvement as much as he is interested in the specific history of the PP325.

Well I think that this twist may have some info to that history as well.

Actually I think I found a pattern here, and your theory may have some merit to it.

White industries was aquired in 1986.

Doing some digging around on Akers site, it seems the end of the Pioneer/Partner names ended in 1988.

You also think that the Poulan Pro brand wasn't introduced untill 1988.

It seems that with your thinking of White being in charge of marketing the Poulan's and your article on White showing how they liked to streamline things, it maybe more than a coincidence that they decided to use the more US recognized name of Poulan to market there Pioneer/Partner saw's. The models 325, 405, 525 and 655 come to mind.

The Poulan Pro branded Jonsereds like the 425, 445 505 etc, seemed to appear starting in 1993.

The Poulan designed Poulan Pro's like the 305, 335 were introduced in 1988 also and I'm not totally sure on there purpose except maybe a stop gap measure.

I ,mean why would they bother keeping the Partner based 325 around when they had the like sized 335 out at the same time?

I got to think about this some more.

That saw looks like a Jonsred 490 w/o the brake to me. The made in sweeden fits as well. There is one on ebay now with pretty good pics, looks like the screws, caps, and muffler are all in same places and very simular. I noticed at Bailey's that model Poulan comes up by itself (no other Poulans) when looking at bar chain combos.

That saw looks like a Jonsred 490 w/o the brake to me. The made in sweeden fits as well. There is one on ebay now with pretty good pics, looks like the screws, caps, and muffler are all in same places and very simular. I noticed at Bailey's that model Poulan comes up by itself (no other Poulans) when looking at bar chain combos.

That's another interesting aspect also on how the Jonsereds got there version of the Parter 5000 also. But they were also gone by the time the Poulan 325 version came along.

Doing some digging around on Akers site, it seems the end of the Pioneer/Partner names ended in 1988.

You also think that the Poulan Pro brand wasn't introduced untill 1988.

The Poulan Pro branded Jonsereds like the 425, 445 505 etc, seemed to appear starting in 1993.

I got to think about this some more.

It looks like the Poulan Pro name replaced the Partner/Pioneer name, but kept the same models.

The 415, 425, 445, 505 as well as the Jred 2077, 2083 all came from the original design of the Partner 7700. My Poulan Pro 415 was made in 1990.

Its a shame after reading this thread to think that the kuh-kuh that is now called Poulan Pro is the only saw that is made in America. Are they still made in America?

It looks like the Poulan Pro name replaced the Partner/Pioneer name, but kept the same models.

The 415, 425, 445, 505 as well as the Jred 2077, 2083 all came from the original design of the Partner 7700. My Poulan Pro 415 was made in 1990.

I agree, that's what I'm finding also. Funny how the Poulan Pro 305 and 335 were introduced into that lineup at the same time though, and that many models after that were in the lineup for quite a while and still based on the 335 design.

I'm not sure that this is what your are looking for:

1946 - First Poulan Chainsaw (Model 2400)
1959 - Merged with JB Beaird Company
1973 - Company sold to Emerson Electric and merged with Weed-Eater, operated as Poulan/Weed Eater
1978 - Company purchased by Electrolux

If I find more luck and come across any info that is specific to the PP325 I will post it up.

HTH

I'm almost positive that Electolux didn't buy Poulan as early as 1978, the info that I have found says that it did aquire Husqvarna in 1978.

I was doing some thinking and I was working at a dealership that sold Poulans in from around 1978 to 82 and there was no mention of Electolux at that time that I can recall. I talked to the son of the owner of that dealership this morning and he also seems to think that it happened midway through the 80's maybe.

Latest posts

Back