Giving Arborists a bad name

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootzone-pro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:msp_mad:Bad day today. I would like to wring an Arborists neck. :bang:HOA wants Arborists report before trees can come down. Every tree on the place has been scarred by construction equipment years ago and has wide open wounds with rotten wood showing, The top of one tree has 30' of dead, and I mean dead, stem. These are all Red Alder, Alnus Rubra, a local weed. They have huge leaders hanging over a house, wet crotches (I know that sounds bad, but it means if it ain't rotten now, it's going to be)
Anyway, dufus writes a report some trees remove, some trim. Sounds good except we are talking about trimming a tree whose base is so rotten it's a wonder it hasn't fallen yet, removing a tree whose only crime is that it is easy to get to to tag.
I have honestly never seen such a load of BS as long as I have been in this business, What I want to do is publish pictures and name names. There has to be gross incompetence involved here. The only other explanation is collusion with the HOA who wants to save trees. This is a laudable goal, but not these trees. This theory does not hold anyway as we had a visit from the "Tree Committee" president on the jobsite. We showed him one tree. His reaction - "that needs to come down today. I will come back with the authorization" and off he went. Now, because we are doing the job I have to pay for an independent Arborist to come and redo this report. Alternately I need to get the offending party back, point out his mess ups, and shame him to redo his report for free. The home owner has already paid him $300 for his "expertise". :msp_mad:

"because we are doing the job I have to pay for an independent Arborist to come and redo this report."

The problem as I see it from a distance: You know what should be done, re. tree work, and that ain't what is gonna get done. You are caught between a homeowner and an arborist's report (that you loathe, and a Tree Comittee.
My advice, (free; doesn't cost $300.00) would be to take the high road, be professional and not badmouth anybody. Otherwise, you may win the battle and lose the war.

"because we are doing the job I have to pay for an independent Arborist to come and redo this report."

The problem as I see it from a distance: You know what should be done, re. tree work, and that ain't what is gonna get done. You are caught between a homeowner and an arborist's report (that you loathe, and a Tree Comittee.
My advice, (free; doesn't cost $300.00) would be to take the high road, be professional and not badmouth anybody. Otherwise, you may win the battle and lose the war.

I know you are right, but the temptation is there. Trouble is some of these trees are hazardous.

Do what is in the best service of the client, the property and the tree in that order.
If the report is biased and does not contain the appropriate info, observations and recomendations
and you do the work, in the end, it may fall on to your responsibility.

Best of luck!

We have that stuff go on here. We got CA's who have never been in a tree. Either there is some back door deal or a book arb with no field exp.

Back