Glad you have your own tree business?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkfin12us

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As hard as this work is especially since the start of the down fall of the economy since fall 2007.Im grateful to have my own business.So many have lost their house,jobs and saved money.Cant go down any further but then again well see.Hopefully this year will be better.Just wanted to get opinions from tree owner operators out there thanks

Glad?

Right now, no. Since we were a small start up at the beginning of 2008 the economy really has taken it's toll. I haven't sold a job in two months and have only contract climbed 2 days in the same amount of time. I talked to a guy from the biggest local company earlier this week, hasn't worked since Christmas. People may be losing their jobs left and right but at least they can get unemployment. I know it will get better as it warms up but it's hard not to envy those who have some sort of income at this point.

My family has been at this for well over 50 years, and this is the worst business has ever been, thank god all the trucks are paid for, this is a tough time to be in business.

I love what I do, and the company. Although this has been the slowest Dec-Jan since we started in 1996.

'09 was best year for our company. Got equipment all paid off. After 10 year in Biz you know what works and what wont. Good luck to all in the slow times.

Yes and no. Yes because who doesnt like being their own boss at something they wake up eeryday enjoying. No, because work is slow, however I took the opertunity to go back to school for Foresty so that is something I would not have done if I were busy. So it has it pros and cons.

HELL YEAH I'm glad........I learned the hard way about the slow season, put some back for the rainy days...

I work a night job and do this in the day (mornings) and I can't complain. Made some real good money last year up until November.

Shoot yeah, couldn't have it any other way.
I'm new to this site but not to the business, literally born and raised in it and if there is one thing i know its that I'd rather be down and out running my own business than getting by in some one else's lol:check:

Right now, no. Since we were a small start up at the beginning of 2008 the economy really has taken it's toll. I haven't sold a job in two months and have only contract climbed 2 days in the same amount of time. I talked to a guy from the biggest local company earlier this week, hasn't worked since Christmas. People may be losing their jobs left and right but at least they can get unemployment. I know it will get better as it warms up but it's hard not to envy those who have some sort of income at this point.

I'm right there with ya man. We started in '06 as a partnership, and I took over solo last June, and it almost still feels like starting over. I still need alot of stuff to operate the way I'd like, and there's barely enough work to pay the bills, let alone grow. I've worked twice so far this year....one job scheduled. The three jobs combined are less than a grand.

I've talked with a few other local tree co's and we're all in the same shape around here. Doesn't seem to matter how much advertising you have out, because there aren't many people spending, or even able to spend.

Went to a tree service bank auction a week ago tomorrow. The flyer said they were selling because of "other interests" If it had been the tree service selling, I'm pretty sure they'd have had some reserve prices set. The bank didn't care much what the stuff went for.

'98 Chevy c7500 boom truck (log loader) $5700
'97 GMC c7500 60' bucket $13750
'84 International diesel grapple truck $7000
2005 woodmizer lt40hdgtr full hydraulic w/ 96 hrs $10400
bandit 250 w/ john deere diesel $3700
rayco pull behind grinder w/ wisconsin engine $2300
rayco 3 wheel grinder (not sure what model) $2400

those were all the actual sales prices, and everything was in good running order ready to go to work. I'm still cryin that I haven't had enough work to buy any of it.

Trying to wait patiently for spring knowing it'll get better.

I enjoy being my own boss, however I am often amazed at the crap I have to deal with from other people. That said, I do the jobs I want to do, not the jobs other people tell me to do in order to line their pockets. Going into the winter I thought I had a nice list of jobs to do, however I've been talking with people, and nobody is choosing to spend right now. What should have been a good winter is turning out to be a really bad one so far.

Self-employment, for me, is a case of the positives outweighing the negatives, for the most part. In our down-turned economy (Washington and the talking heads are full of :censored: when they "prove" how it's turning around, with all of their statistics), it is the slow-down on work coming in that is the hardest thing to take. It doesn't matter the field you're in. When you're self-employed, the cycles of work and no work are always going to be there, unless you graduate to the big time with municipal/government sweetheart contracts and the like. Big companies, that you own, come with their own unique set of problems, of course.

those were all the actual sales prices, and everything was in good running order ready to go to work. I'm still cryin that I haven't had enough work to buy any of it.

I know what you mean, man. I don't even want to open the tree trader mag anymore with the prices that they have, practically giving stuff away. If only, right? ####'s tight right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for spring this year. I've got a good client list, decent ads in place and am slowly building a serious local rep. Hopefully it will break loose in another month or two. A good ice storm wouldn't hurt anything either, lol.

2008 was my best year yet. I felt as though things were finally paying off...then came last year!

Maybe its just the economy and winter combined... but I feel like I'm losing the desire for it... its what I do, so I guess I'll just keep plugging along... besides, I'm in too deep now anyway.

Just bid a healthy sized job yesterday, so maybe things will improve.

I feel sorry for anyone just starting their own thing these days - its not like it was back when I started, thats for sure.

Of course spring always improves my outlook.

New here too, I have seen a 40% reduction in 2009! My company has been full time since winter 2005. I quit my regular job and went climbing. With 11 years climbing I thought it would be a snap. It actualy was pretty good until 2009, the good thing was summer 09 had almost exclusively repeats, referals, and good weather. I could not believe the customers enthusiasticaly calling again and again. I must have done something right the first time I served them. Yes I do like being on my own, I'm not perfect but I do run the company the way I'd like to be served if I called someone to work at my house. :crazy1:

No. Being an employer sucks.

1. Notwithstanding the high quality of the folks here at AS, I have very little respect for the people I hire, especially the tree trimming workers. They loose money on jobs, they don't do what I ask them to do, and it is a constant struggle just to get the obvious done. Hire better people? I should...but they don't seem to come anywhere near my office. So I hire every derelict that is dumb enough to work for me.

I treat them all pretty good, and all they do is steal from me, treat me poorly, or go away when I really need them to do something important.

2. Business is down, as everybody knows, and I am not that good at running a business anyway, so I make less per year (for the last 20 years) than anybody working for me.

3. I would work fewer hours, spend more leisure time at home, and make more money if I worked for some other company.

I keep thinking I should be able to make a nice living at this, but I am wrong. I just can't quit anything I try to do. I have never been a quitter. Once I start, I finish.

Not always wise. I'm stuck with it now.

No, I'm not trying to be a real bummer. You DID ask me.

Last edited:
I love it! I get to pick and choose which jobs I want to do and only put up with so much crap. Working this for someone would make me do things I don't want to do and put up with anyones crap.

I never thought it would be a good thing but over booking has paid off. I now have a guy who's been slow out doing catch up work for me, small stuff that brings me up to date and puts a bit of cash in his pocket. By spring, I'll be caught up and keep in mind, April 1st is just around the corner, the start of spring!!:clap::clap:

:cheers:

Back