Glass door on woodstoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love our glass door and agree it's important to know what's going on in there. We rent the downstairs of our house and wood is the only heat down there. Unfortunately our previous renter closed the door on a log that was too big and broke the glass, so there cheap option was to get a piece of steel the size of the glass. Still makes me mad.. Do you think ceramic glasss would be an option for a wood stove. any other types of glass seem WAAAAY expensive
they sell robax chrystal on ebay cut to order. thats what 99% of all wood stoves use for glass. here is a link for the place i ordered from when I built my stove.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232192717055
just tell them the size and they cut to fit. not bad price either (my opinion).
View attachment DTTI3656[1].MP4

In our last house I installed a non cat stove and we used it for years. I really enjoyed the flame show. We moved in 2018 and I bought a cat stove and put in here. I gave up the flame show and miss it but it's nice to be able to let the fire basically smoulder and still get tons of heat out of it from the cat burning the smoke. I go through less wood now than I did then.

Hope I’m not bombarding someone else’s post with something completely off key here but I am new to the page and looking for some answers. I picked up an old homelite from an older gentleman a few days ago and have been doing some history lessons and have become very interested. Does anyone have any and all information about the identity of this particular saw, best performing bar and chain combo, tips and tricks for improved operation, background into the history, whatever information you guys have available would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 836A24A4-B726-48E7-9B82-DE889418174A.jpeg33F946AE-7DD5-43B5-A8DA-05ACA15FF7A8.jpeg8BCF5DBE-F2C8-467F-A053-E31236AE7F38.jpegD44F3FB9-C2D9-4FB9-9BB3-66A1DFDB9FB3.jpeg5522F204-ECCF-4BF6-8736-37905E0A7223.jpegA636D47D-ED08-40C4-AD0D-EE72B8812597.jpeg49E864E8-90A1-45A9-BDC8-4580E2A0F18E.jpegA755530F-3854-4900-B3A2-8AA1B8BC64F2.jpegBD37D368-6DE5-415B-A22C-C03AC15B6E1F.jpeg8B1D1076-7C88-41CA-BB1C-E71507B86AE7.jpeg

Why would you hijack this thread about glass doors to talk about your homelite. There is a chainsaw forum for that. Very nice homie though 🤤
I know man I know lol I was actually just trying to catch a conversation with recent activity in hopes for a faster response, get in where ya fit in I guess. Thanks by the way, she cleaned up nice. My wife stumbled across this find on Facebook marketplace right up the road from the house. I was sitting by the fireplace and she said oh by the way I spotted a saw for $100 and they went down to $70 and I made an offer at $50 and they accepted I hope that’s ok? She just said it’s a homelite and I see some potential with it. I was thinking oh geez another piece of junk I’ll end up giving away. Boy was I wrong! She runs harder than Forests Gump chasing Jenay! She’s a keeper! The wife for finding this gem and the saw of course lol.

I know man I know lol I was actually just trying to catch a conversation with recent activity in hopes for a faster response, get in where ya fit in I guess. Thanks by the way, she cleaned up nice. My wife stumbled across this find on Facebook marketplace right up the road from the house. I was sitting by the fireplace and she said oh by the way I spotted a saw for $100 and they went down to $70 and I made an offer at $50 and they accepted I hope that’s ok? She just said it’s a homelite and I see some potential with it. I was thinking oh geez another piece of junk I’ll end up giving away. Boy was I wrong! She runs harder than Forests Gump chasing Jenay! She’s a keeper! The wife for finding this gem and the saw of course lol.
Start your own thread in the chainsaw section. It will get more replies then here.

sorry don't care how inefficient... when it cost 6k+ to buy a jotul in my area and I can build a woodstove for less than 1k including glass and knobs I will take the less efficient version of what I built every single time. thats 5K saved on just the stove.... the fact that they will not sell you the stove without anoth 15K in install fees just seals the deal.

And I get to watch the flames.

sorry don't care how inefficient... when it cost 6k+ to buy a jotul in my area and I can build a woodstove for less than 1k including glass and knobs I will take the less efficient version of what I built every single time. thats 5K saved on just the stove.... the fact that they will not sell you the stove without anoth 15K in install fees just se

Hope I’m not bombarding someone else’s post with something completely off key here but I am new to the page and looking for some answers. I picked up an old homelite from an older gentleman a few days ago and have been doing some history lessons and have become very interested. Does anyone have any and all information about the identity of this particular saw, best performing bar and chain combo, tips and tricks for improved operation, background into the history, whatever information you guys have available would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! View attachment 1040324View attachment 1040325View attachment 1040326View attachment 1040328View attachment 1040329View attachment 1040330View attachment 1040331View attachment 1040332View attachment 1040333View attachment 1040334
You do not have glass doors;)

sorry don't care how inefficient... when it cost 6k+ to buy a jotul in my area and I can build a woodstove for less than 1k including glass and knobs I will take the less efficient version of what I built every single time. thats 5K saved on just the stove.... the fact that they will not sell you the stove without anoth 15K in install fees just seals the deal.

If you can build one yourself I certainly don't blame you.

And most of the techniques used to increase efficiency are pretty obvious.

I enjoy having a 'fire view' of course and the value of seeing the state of combustion of the fuel load is a really nice bonus.

what if that efficiency would save you 10k in 10 years, which is the cost of your stove every year...would you do it.

Back