Glass on stove making "tink tink tink" noises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Awhile back I had posted that I had to put a new glass in my stove because the old one cracked after 14 years. Last night and again tonight I noticed that when I open the door to add more wood the glass itself seems to be making a "tink tink tink tink, etc." noise, similair to the noise that the stovepipe makes when its heating up. I checked the screws that hold it in place, and snugged a few up that were a little loose, but I only snugged them up, not torqued down like King Kong strength. I talked to my buddy at the local stoveshop, and he said don't worry about it-that sometimes when you're burning hot and you open the door that little change in temperature can cause the glass to make that noise. I guess that I'm just somewhat concerned since the other one cracked, albeit after a long time. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated-thanks!

PA woodsman...I talked to the Harman stove guy at the Farm show last week & he said the same thing. Just snug the screws lightly. Don't use King Kong strength torque. Thats what makes the glass crack...Rick

I believe in most stoves the glass is mounted in gasket material and no metal of the stove touches the glass. This would leave room for a little movement due to different rates of thermal expansion between the metal and glass.

Maybe you have metal to glass contact where you're not supposed to have any. I would be worried like you are.......that you are about to lose another glass.

This glass from Quadri-fire (replacing the old Dovre brand) came with a rope gasket already attached to it which impressed me. The metal "bar" and corner tabs that hold it into place have a white foam padding on them, so there is no metal-to-metal contact. I have been burning since October and have not heard it do this until a few nights ago. Perhaps it has something to do with it finally getting somewhat colder here in Pennsylvania, but I don't think that it's anything to worry about-time will tell! I guess as long as I don't overtighten the screws and there is no metal-to-metal contact it should be alright. Thanks for your reply!

PA.P: the "glass" is a clear ceramic compound similar to heatshields by Corning on space craft. Real sand compound glass couldn't take the extremes of heat and cold. The sound is like my muffler on the bike when shut down--cooling and compressing, making "tinkling" sounds. ( No, not that tinkle ) . You can hear exhausts doing the same thing if you'll go under the truck after shutting down.
Right about not horsing the screw holds on the "glass".

Our Pacific Energy Summit makes a similar sound. When it was new, nothing. After burning for about a week, I did notice the sound when the door glass was heating or cooling rapidly. I haven't been concerned about it, yet.

Thanks all!

Thanks guys for your replies. I talked to a few people today, and most said that it is the expansion and contraction when the door opens and the "cooler" room air hits the door. I FAINTLY remember the old glass doing this on occassion, but not as much as this one. I don't care if it makes that noise, I just was wondering if it was a signal to me that something may be wrong that I needed to correct. Just in case I loosened each screw somewhat tonight; I'd be really peeved if this glass broke, as it cost $130! I even called Quadrafire's toll free line and asked their "tech support" people about it-they said that "they never heard of that happening"! I did notice that last night the draft was unusually strong; perhaps that played a part in it. We'll see if it does it this coming Sunday-highs in the lo 20's expected with fierce wind chills. If it breaks, I'll FLIP!! :mad:

Thanks again all! :greenchainsaw:

Yeah, ceramic glass aint cheap...

I just bought two new pieces of cut pyroceram and had installed in my fireplace doors today. Cost was 302.65$. My wife about flipped. This is the second time we replaced these door glasses in 2 years. First time we found out later that the original glass was tempered glass and not ceramic. Case closed there. Last time a hinge broke and the door fell out and broke. I have since welded new hinges on the doors and Im in good shape. My fireplace doors made that "tink tink tink" sound too, but seemed unrelated to the problems I had. My doors sit almost loosely in the frame, no fire gasket. Just a "U-shaped" piece of steel on both sides and the bottom to keep the glass centered and these pieces are sandwiched between the door halves within each half-frame. My fireplace is a 1978 El-Fuego with a heatilator system.

Should be in good shape now!

I looked at the clips that hold the glass in on the top of the stove, and got some flat self-adhesive rope gasket and put it on both clips so that they're both even and there's no chance to get any metal-to-glass contact, even though there was some of the gasket that came with the glass buffering it. Aside from those 2 nights in a row, it hasn't made any noises lately. I don't care about the noise, I just don't want any cracks! Like they say it's a continuous learning experience! Appreciate all of the replies!

Latest posts

Back