Go ahead and flame me - but advice and advise are not the same word

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the difference between sit and set or lay and lie. The UVA mainentence workers also used to say someone was "up agin' it" to mean they were having a rough time. Another fellow used to tell us to "put it in granny gear and keep gittin' up"...

Hmmm, gonna add irregard to my vocabulary. Seems like I ought to be upfront with the negative! Speaking of negatives, I like to use triple negatives to make my point, a double negative is a positive so a triple negative is back negative again! Kind of like two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts does.

One of the highest schoolled people I knew typed like he was unliterate. Turned out he was the head of a college at an ivy league university! Another friend genuinely read at a third grade level if that high. However if he told you a rooster could tote a bale of cotton all you needed to do was figure out where you wanted that bale of cotton!

The danged text shortcuts are taking over the world. It's before not b4, we are talking English not bingo!

Hu

For Sale, but NEEDS FIXED. Why not just say it correctly? It needs TO BE fixed. Or, it NEEDS FIXING.

PROBABLY though, I hate PROLLY the most.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, so I will; Saw and seen.

Here in the NW, you can tell someone is from the "hinterlands" when they say they "seen" stuff. "Oh yeah, I seen that too." "I seen him yesterday".

NO! I SAW him yesterday!

It's OK, you can do it .....

Two, to, too

Is it that hard?
Seriously

We have the intertube at our fingertips

It's" to" unless it's at the end of a sentence.
I want a to buy a new saw.
I want her to buy me a new saw too.
I too, would like her to buy me a new saw or two.

See, not at the end...

Acceleration is actually the rate of change of speed. Velocity is speed with a specified direction. Speed is scalar, velocity is a vector.
I will however admit that high speed rifle doesn't sound right.

One of my favourites is affect and effect but at a recent course I was on they got round that by spelling it iffect!
It's been over 40 years since that first physics class. Lol

One said deceleration only once in that class!!!!

But people understand. And that is all that is important.

Unless my nephew walks up with his hat on backwards and says " Sup?".... Then I tell him to speak English.

In this specific instance, I've noticed it's a generational gap. I say "length". My parents say "lenth". And I've seen the same thing with friends and family.

To the same tune, I've seen generational gaps in a few other words like "donkey". I say "don-key". My parents say "dun-key", sounding similar to the word monkey. I say "mun-key" and "don-key", which sound very different, where their 2 words rhyme. Mind you, we all grew up and still reside in the same general geographic area, so it's not location-related dialect. Weird.

Round here we jess call'um jacks or ginny's. We save jack or ass for the politicians.

For Sale, but NEEDS FIXED. Why not just say it correctly? It needs TO BE fixed. Or, it NEEDS FIXING.

My God, that one gets me good. Happens quite often around here.

"the carb needs tuned"
Either it needs to be tuned or it needs tuning.

I hate that one.

waaaazup biacheeeze
Hey Neal,

Where's the best place to get a Stihl ported?

Woods Port or Woodsport? Was we playing games now? lol

Latest posts

Back