going to build a pipe for my 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a lot better than my first cracks at a pipe... I was learning that some of the free software was pure junk and the first pipe came out with totally wrong dimentions, saw actually cut slower than on muffler.

a was at 3 but o was a little higher. I thought about brazing a tip shut and redrilling SMALL and working up in size to get the right tip.

Lowering the gas pressure or just cracking the valves slightly in an attempt to get low enough heat is not workable. The gas flow in the tip becomes low enough that the flame propagates upstream and pops. The hotter the tip the more often it pops. The only solution is to use a smaller orifice. They can be silver brazed full and redrilled but a little bit of filler goes a long ways up and it is not easy to drill without galling and twisting off that tiny drill. The swadging down to resize is easier. The number sizing system is different between brands so I cant suggest a number but I know by looking at the hole, roughly what it will handle in thickness. It is not easy to get a small tip that has a nice symetrical flame. The adjusting knobs on your torch are easier to fine tune if your regulator pressures are set low enough that the torch valves are at least a full turn open. Less touchy than they are in the first 30 degrees of opening.

Anyways, it looks like you got a decent job done with the mig. How many trigger pulls did it take? lol!

Lowering the gas pressure or just cracking the valves slightly in an attempt to get low enough heat is not workable.

Very true, I believe a quarter or 3/4 turn and the valve is wide open on the acetylene. A saftey feature so you don't have to turn a bunch of times in case of a emergency get it shut off at the the tank.

How many trigger pulls did it take? lol![/QUOTE]

LOL, Yeah a long and boring process, a good time to have speed glass!

gink595

You are right about the Acet. tank valve just being open a couple of flicks for emergency shut down. I was speaking about the valves on the torch. Relatively low gauge pressure and wider torch valve opening makes balancing your flame easier than high pressure and the torch valves barely cracked open.

gink595

You are right about the Acet. tank valve just being open a couple of flicks for emergency shut down. I was speaking about the valves on the torch. Relatively low gauge pressure and wider torch valve opening makes balancing your flame easier than high pressure and the torch valves barely cracked open.

Gotcha!!!!:cheers:

pipe complete. going to do a timed cut on the muffler then timed on pipe. here are some pics. vids hopefully tonight after boys baseball game.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SWEET! We will accept no excuses for not getting a video up tonight. I don't care if you have to wake the neighbors up!:cheers:

well, the only neighbor i have is my dad, and he lives 400 yards across the road from me. and he is quite used to loud noises such as gun fire and chainsaws at any time of day or night.

Last edited:
SWEET! We will accept no excuses for not getting a video up tonight. I don't care if you have to wake the neighbors up!:cheers:

well, the only neighbor i have is my dad, and he lives 400 yards across the road from me. and he quite used to loud noises such as gun fire and chainsaws at any time of day or night.

I just had one of my nephews friends tell me they thought I was trying to scare them the other night...They were at the neighbors for a party and I was working on the little Homie just in case the SIL's boyfriend needed to borrow a saw...Well I started it at about midnight just to make sure it ran and they all freaked out...Living in town sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsnelling
SWEET! We will accept no excuses for not getting a video up tonight. I don't care if you have to wake the neighbors up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breymeyerfam
well, the only neighbor i have is my dad, and he lives 400 yards across the road from me. and he quite used to loud noises such as gun fire and chainsaws at any time of day or night.

I just had one of my nephews friends tell me they thought I was trying to scare them the other night...They were at the neighbors for a party and I was working on the little Homie just in case the SIL's boyfriend needed to borrow a saw...Well I started it at about midnight just to make sure it ran and they all freaked out...Living in town sucks...

I couldn't live in town... I'm positive I'd end up in jail for something pretty quick.

The thing has a very high powerband. hard to keep it in it. need more practice to keep it in the sweet spot. the 2nd piped run is 11% faster than muffler and the other 2 runs are only 7% faster. If I practice more, I think I can get it more toward 15%. and for the narrow powerband, I want to have a chain with the rakers higher so its less grabby.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i716.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid716.photobucket.com/albums/ww161/breymeyerfam/660mufandpipe.flv">

Your RPMs don't sound any higher on the pipe. Perhaps it's a tuning issue with the pipe and you can replace just one or two sections and make it wake up. I haven't a clue though.

It also sound like it's running quite a bit rich on the pipe.

Your RPMs don't sound any higher on the pipe. Perhaps it's a tuning issue with the pipe and you can replace just one or two sections and make it wake up. I haven't a clue though.

I really think the chain is killing me on this, its really grabby wanting to pull it out of the pwerband. and it so dam loud on the pipe, it makes it hard to tune cause it sounds like its screamin. after watching the vid, I agree its rich. I really need a tach...

Last edited:
Back