Going with Oregon 91VS Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
This winter I've been cleaning up a 10-15 acre woodlot. It had been cut about 30 years ago, and the hickory saplings are just thick. My little 14 year old Poulan 2075 has only worn the easy to get safety chains from Wal-Mart and other discount farm stores. So for a change I ordered a 91VS chain (not shown here) for my new bar and sprocket.
attachment.php

Decided today was time to give it a test run. Fell two trees about 14" diameter that really made me grin.:msp_smile::chainsawguy:
That chain ate thru those hard oaks like they were soft wood, and that lil ole saw purred like a kitten. I was really impressed.

Replacing the Sprocket for the new chain was mystifying, but some advice from an old pro made it simple.
attachment.php

91VS surely will be an improvement, as it is not "safety chain".

Stihl now offer chisel chain (PS3) in Picco, but as the #3# suggests, it is "safety chain". Much worse is that it seems to replace PM, that was comparable to VS - but it looks like non-safety Stihl Picco chain will be gone for good....:msp_rolleyes:

91VS surely will be an improvement, as it is not "safety chain".

Stihl now offer chisel chain (PS3) in Picco, but as the #3# suggests, it is "safety chain". Much worse is that it seems to replace PM, that was comparable to VS - but it looks like non-safety Stihl Picco chain will be gone for good....:msp_rolleyes:
Do you think if someone produced it there would be a market for a chisel cutter in a narrow kerf chassis such as 3/8 low profile and .325 n.k.
If N.K .325 could be had in chislel I would be all over it.

Do you think if someone produced it there would be a market for a chisel cutter in a narrow kerf chassis such as 3/8 low profile and .325 n.k.

So far, 3/8 picco is made in chisel, and .325NK still isn't. The fact that the PS3 is a "3" chain destroys the exitement about it though......

I made a thread about the new PS3 a while ago, but not many were interested.

Last edited:
So far, 3/8 picco is made in chisel, and .325NK still isn't. The fact that the PS3 is a "3" chain destroys the exitement about it though......

I made a thread about the new PS3 a while ago, but not many were interested.

Hey SalTroll; I read that thread. Do you think there might be a threat to do away the VS chain?

I would at least have tried it, if it wasn't a bad kind of "safety" chain. Some saws would surely benefit from it, but others most like wouldn't, compared to the 20-series LP. Anyway, there would be only one way to know for sure! :msp_smile:

Since I started this thread I need to update it.
I received my oregon chains, but instead of the 91VS version I received the newly improved 91VXL. A search shows some dealers still have some rolls of 91VS, but I'll stick with the newer version. For one; the Top Plate is longer which gives the chain a hefty big saw appearance.

Here's a quote from Oregon:

In 2008, OREGON® went one better with 91VX; retaining all the patented features of 91VS such as the anti-vibration VIBE-BANTM and the advanced LubrilinkTM and LubriwellTM. VX added a whole lot more SPEED, while retaining the famously smooth operation.

Now in 2009, OREGON® has gone one better yet again, with 91VXL. L signifies a longer top plate on the cutter. The 33% longer top plate provides much longer chain life, while the easily identifiable Blue OREGON® cutters signify OREGON®'s fastest chain saw grind, the "X". Rather than just add length to 91VX, OREGON®'s engineers designed this chain from the ground up, to ensure the chain performance was worthy of the 91VXL label. Speed, smoothness, long life. With OREGON® VXL, bigger really is better.

Since I started this thread I need to update it.
I received my oregon chains, but instead of the 91VS version I received the newly improved 91VXL. A search shows some dealers still have some rolls of 91VS, but I'll stick with the newer version. For one; the Top Plate is longer which gives the chain a hefty big saw appearance.

Here's a quote from Oregon:

In 2008, OREGON® went one better with 91VX; retaining all the patented features of 91VS such as the anti-vibration VIBE-BANTM and the advanced LubrilinkTM and LubriwellTM. VX added a whole lot more SPEED, while retaining the famously smooth operation.

Now in 2009, OREGON® has gone one better yet again, with 91VXL. L signifies a longer top plate on the cutter. The 33% longer top plate provides much longer chain life, while the easily identifiable Blue OREGON® cutters signify OREGON®'s fastest chain saw grind, the "X". Rather than just add length to 91VX, OREGON®'s engineers designed this chain from the ground up, to ensure the chain performance was worthy of the 91VXL label. Speed, smoothness, long life. With OREGON® VXL, bigger really is better.
I'm a big Oregon fan and have held up for their chain in the past but,thats pure propaganda.The VX is a chamfer chisel and cuts faster than semi chisel.The vxl IS semi chisel and is no different or better than the woodsman pro branded carlton.

I'm a big Oregon fan and have held up for their chain in the past but,thats pure propaganda.The VX is a chamfer chisel and cuts faster than semi chisel.The vxl IS semi chisel and is no different or better than the woodsman pro branded carlton.

Haven't tried the VX . I do have the WoodlandPro30LP. Is that what you're referrring to? Haven't put it on a saw yet, and may change my mind, but comparing the two, I like the Oregon.

Haven't tried the VX . I do have the WoodlandPro30LP. Is that what you're referrring to? Haven't put it on a saw yet, and may change my mind, but comparing the two, I like the Oregon.
The oregon may have a more refined drive link/tie strap grinding procedure but it is the cutter that gets it done.Once you put a 5/32 file too it there probabley won't be a nickels worth of difference.Unless you're like some folks that run it till its dull and then replace it.I like the S stuf with the bumper as well if not better than the vx but thats just me.Just wish they had stayed with the chamfer chisel and made it longer.

Latest posts

Back