How bad can the box store saws be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been browsing this forum for a while but just signed up. I'm a casual chainsaw user. My dad owns some property around his cottage that we try to keep clean (i.e. cut up windfall for firewood and cut down dead trees). I am also thinking that sometime in the next five years I will be a first time house buyer and plan to heat with and cut my own wood from my grandfather's woodlot (mixed hardwood and softwood).

My last saw was a 20 or so year old Husky 454 which my dad got for free from a coworker and it served us well but was finally retired. It needed a piston and ring and bar/chain/drive sprocket and pull cord and I decided it was just time to buy something newer instead of fixing all that so I sold it (not running) at a yard sale for a few bucks.

I saw an MTD homeowner saw at Canadian Tire for 179$ and said to myself "how bad could that be, it must work. Most of the user problems with these homeowner box store saws are probably user problems anyway and I'm half handy with tools" so I bought it. Oops.

First off this saw came with an 18 inch bar but could only pull about 6 inches of the bar through our maples we have at the cottage. I was a little disappointed but realized that for the price difference between this and a real great saw (I had recently borrowed a husky 353 from my friend's dad for the weekend.... oh man talk about a perfect saw!!!) I guess that was understandable.

Next off after 4 hours of cutting the saw died and wouldn't restart. It had spark and the same amount of compression as before but it seemed starved for fuel as the primer bulb would not fill with fuel no matter how many times I pressed it (NOT a leak fuel cap though as the tank would still release a pressurized hiss sound when I opened it). I bet it was just a plugged filter (which is still odd... I was using clean fresh fuel mix in a clean jerry can which I also use for our trimmer with no problems) but since the saw was brand new I took it back and they replaced it with a new one.

Next time out I had the chain pop off on me although I had just tightened it about 10 minutes ago. The drive sprocket bent a few of the drive links so the chain wouldn't go back into the bar. I realize that all I needed was a new chain but since the saw was so new I went back to crappy tire. luckily the manager on duty that day was a friend of our family and she knows my dad and I both buy a lot of stuff from their store so she offered me a full cash refund which I graciously accepted (big thanks to her for this... this was an exception to store policy and she did not have to do that!).

So now I'm daydreaming of investing some money in a saw I will have for a long time (10+ years). My criteria are:
-Will probably be used about 25 hours most years
-95% of cutting is hardwood (maple) 8 inch diameter and less
-5% is cutting up bigger (2 foot diameter) maples
-Want to be able to do maintainance myself to save money. I am comfortable filing chain, changing spark plug, cleaning air filter, changing fuel filter, and am dedicated to only running fresh fuel mix (less than a month old) and would drain the tank and run the carb dry for lay ups lasting longer than 4 weeks.
-Price is negotiable. I'm just finishing college and ain't rich but also don't mind paying for a quality product.

I have dreams at night about my friend's Husky 353 but to be honest I think that's probably a little out of my price range. Maybe a used 353 if it still had lots of compression? Here's a question for you guys - I often read that the husky 353 is better than the 350 with one of the main reasons being the magnesium crankcase.... isn't this only a factor to someone who will put enough miles on a saw (i.e. use nearly every day) to need to rebuilt the bottom end?

I am planning on checking my 2 local stihl dealers and 2 local husky shops as well as the 1 Jonsered dealer in this neck of the woods as well as a couple small engine shops who sell used equipment but are not dealers. Any other shops are too far away to really consider. I would consider a brand new or used saw. If I could find something that would pull a 14 inch bar through hardwood I'm sure it would do what I want it to. What engine displacement do you think I'm looking at? I used the 353 husky to cut through a 2 foot maple and I would say I can actually tolerate a slower saw with less power if I can save money that way.

Offhand it seems tempting to buy a Stihl ms170 or the husky 137 off the shelf. I'm a sucker for a deal and if someone wanted to throw in an extra chain and some files I'ld be happy as a pig in poop. I'ld also prefer non-safety chain, it just seems more efficient to me and I think I understand what causes kickback and how to avoid it.

thoughts?

I think you answered your own question about how bad a box store saw can be.

As for a replacement I don't think you'll be happy with an Ms170 or any thing else in its class. I love my 170, but it is strictly a limbing saw. for trimming branches and cleaning up dead fall etc. its great. plenty of power for that, light weight, super easy starting, and a tank of fuel lasts some where just this side of forever. BUT for cutting fire wood etc, that kind of heavy work, it will just not work well for you.
You might look into some thing like the MS 270. Price I see online for that one is 369.00 usd. Give it a minute and sombody will say the 361. The MS 361 does have the added benefit of curing cancer. but with a price tag of 589 usd you better be pretty sure your gonna get cancer for that benefit to add up.
In other words the 361 costs 180 bucks more, and for what you are describing your intended use being and trying to keep price reasonable, the 270 will probably fine. There are no doubt better saws and some of them even cost under a grand, but to cut fire wood under 400 the ms 270 is worth a look.

box stores are good for returns.

Ive personally returned a 455 i bought at Lowes, after i had used it for 1 year, and picked up a brand new one.

pretty great service in that regard, they dont try to repair it, but will take it all back and give you a brand new one back in the box.

If the 353 is out of your range, look at the 350 and 345. Similar power, with a plastic case. They will last a long time with the service you sound like you will provide. For hardwood I wouldn't go over a 16" bar and that sounds like it would work for your kind of cutting. The Jonsered versions are the 2150 and 2145. You should be able to find them (Husqvarna or Jonsered) for under $300.
Oh, and steer clear of the 137.

Last edited:
If I can possibly avoid it, I don't spend my $$ at box stores. I would rather support a small business that can offer flexibility, understanding, advice, service, expertise, and heck even remember my name when I come by.

Box stores have their place, but in my opinion buying good power equipment is a much nicer experience all around from a good dealer.

If I can possibly avoid it, I don't spend my $$ at box stores. I would rather support a small business that can offer flexibility, understanding, advice, service, expertise, and heck even remember my name when I come by.

Box stores have their place, but in my opinion buying good power equipment is a much nicer experience all around from a good dealer.

+1

support your local saw dealer!

any of the homeowner stihl/husky/jred/dolmar saws are night and day compared to any of the box-store chinese cr@p

Dont be afraid of the Husky 350 just because of the plastic case. I have been running the dog pi$$ outta one since '05 with 0 problems. Probably the best bang for the buck in a homeowner saw. Plenty of power for a 16" bar and can do an 18" if you prefer.

If the 353 is out of your range, look at the 350 and 345. Similar power, with a plastic case. They will last a long time with the service you sound like you will provide. For hardwood I wouldn't go over a 16" bar and that sounds like it would work for your kind of cutting. The Jonsered versions are the 2150 and 2145. You should be able to find them (Husqvarna or Jonsered) for under $300.
Oh, and steer clear of the 137.

Dont be afraid of the Husky 350 just because of the plastic case. I have been running the dog pi$$ outta one since '05 with 0 problems. Probably the best bang for the buck in a homeowner saw. Plenty of power for a 16" bar and can do an 18" if you prefer.

+1

+1

You've tried and liked the 353, so that would be your best shot, but the 350/2150 is a really close runner-up, and there are even someone here on AS, not too un-reliable, that hold the 350 to be better than both the 353 or the OE346...

If you don't get the 353 (or a Jonsered 2152, same saw) then pick a Jonsered 2150, if there's a dealer around, same saw but you won't have to compare it to your friends 353 all the time, since it's after all another brand... ;) Seriously, it's supposed to be a dam good saw, it shouldn't disappoint you.

I don't know where you are in canada but you mentioned canadian tire so I assume.

try heading south of the border they are almost half price.

you can almost get a 372 for the price of a 353 up here.

I wouldnt be afraid to buy a saw from a bigbox store if it were a brandname saw.
The Home Depot sells Echo and I wouldnt be the least bit afraid to buy an Echo saw from them. 4 years ago I bought a Honda Harmony II walkbehind mower from The Home Depot and they made sure that it was full of oil and ran before I left the store. I havent had any problems with that mower since I bought it and a year after I bought the mower, Honda gave me a 5-year warranty free of charge. So, its not as if everything you buy from a bigbox store is junk. However, I try to do business with the local Honda Power Equipment dealer as much as possible.
The nice thing about buying from a dealer is that you can go in there and if you arent exactly sure about which saw to buy, you can tell them what you want to do with it and they can point you in the right directions.
Nowdays there are so many different models of saws that to someone who isnt exactly sure what they want, it can be kind of overwelming.
Another nice thing about buying from a dealer is that in the future, when you need parts or even just when buying another saw, you will likely get a discount. If they see you there a lot buying parts and accessories, they will likely cut you a better deal because you spend a lot of money at their business.
I personally prefer buying from a dealer because you get a voice of experience and because you have support after the sale.

Last edited:
If you want quality and to watch your penny's, I would hunt for a used pro model saw. Especially if its is your one and only saw. Most homeowner saws are disposable, even from the real saw companies.

Look in the trading post here or check the local dealers for a trade-in that has been checked out and serviced, stay away from ebay.

box stores are good for returns.

Ive personally returned a 455 i bought at Lowes, after i had used it for 1 year, and picked up a brand new one.

pretty great service in that regard, they dont try to repair it, but will take it all back and give you a brand new one back in the box.

A year, huh?

Was there anything wrong with it?

Yeah, when 361 time comes around, I will get it from my local dealer.. he's a bit high, but he throws in a case and spare chain, and it is set up properly from the git go, so I git to go out and cut some wood!:greenchainsaw:

If you really like the 353, and you're not opposed to using e-bay, they usually sell between $200 & $250 used. Be sure & check the sellers satisfaction rating & check all feedback on prior purchases and sales; you should be able to get a good idea of the sellers reliability that way.

A year, huh?

Was there anything wrong with it?

some starting issue and the chain catch was ripped off.

NOT BY ME... :/ My brother in law decided to use the saw without me being around suddenly i get back and the chain is off the bar, and wont fit back into the bar because some clown decided not to tighten up the chain before using it, put some tension on it, popped it out of the bar at full throttle and really bent it up. took me a while with the file to get it all to fit back in again.

I still chew the guy out for it.:dizzy:

I thought they would fix it, but i believe they gave me the option of having it sent out for work, or just exchange it real quick and be done in 10 minutes.

I chose to have it exchanged.

3rd vote for the 350 or 2150. I've owned one since 04. It was my first saw after my POULAN 2800 clone Craftsman. I've fun the snot out of that saw. I've climbed with it I've cut logs way beyond its 16'' bar and it keeps impressing. I've only replaced chains and sparkplugs.

Since you are tight on cash, as all of us, have you tried an MTD! :monkey:

Sorry that was evil :chainsaw:

I couldn't resist.

I have personaly used a small miniMac 833(1,1hp) for years with good results. It takes longer but the job gets done. I was able to get an excellent(for here in Austria, 200 instead of 250€) deal on a new Stihl MS 180(2hp). I have only approx. 3-4 fillings so the final verdict is still open but sofar I'm very impressed. I believe I am here an anomaly because I only believe in using one chainsaw for all work instead of having many unused chainsaws. I cut with my 14 inch B/C upto 25 inch wood.
I know it is tough on my little saw and takes longer than with a pro saw, but for my 3-5 cord/year of mixed hard&softwood it is totally sufficient.

Here in the german chainsaw forums many users praise the Husqvarna 136 as the best buy out there. It would have been my second choice for the same price.

Don't forget I am a homeuser and not a profesional.

some day I will be banned from this site for my strange ideas

7sleeper

Back