Gonna get me a Tractor!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those flatlanders can have their 2x4's! :laugh:

My w.PA hills call for 4x4 traction. 2x4 is a pain in the arse around here.

I just prefer the 4x4's for loader work... Period... But any loader tractor is better than no loader... Just about the handiest things made... I won't get Steve goin' on skid steers...:hmm3grin2orange:

I know it's not a well known brand to some but last year I bought 2 Yanmar 1986 4x4 YM336D's , no loader on either for 3600.00 $$ .
Both had suffered fire damage but a little Tremco (well a lot to be truthful ), some used tires , seats , fabrication of some parts and rewiring , both tractors are up and running for less than 1200.00 $$ .
Not the prettiest but simple to work on , some JD 1050 parts fit and I found that parts and tech support from Hoye Tractor to be first rate so an "Off " brand should not be written off as not worth looking at because a broken tractor costs money to fix , regardless of age or brand .

Green yanmars

I know it's not a well known brand to some but last year I bought 2 Yanmar 1986 4x4 YM336D's , no loader on either for 3600.00 $$ .
Both had suffered fire damage but a little Tremco (well a lot to be truthful ), some used tires , seats , fabrication of some parts and rewiring , both tractors are up and running for less than 1200.00 $$ .
Not the prettiest but simple to work on , some JD 1050 parts fit and I found that parts and tech support from Hoye Tractor to be first rate so an "Off " brand should not be written off as not worth looking at because a broken tractor costs money to fix , regardless of age or brand .

As far as I know, all the smaller JDs are rebadged yanmars. Sounds like you got a good deal there.

A friend of mine sells them, that's all he sells, used yanmars, says they are the best small compact tractor.

If I ever get a replacement for my little wheel horse, that's what I am getting.

Larger, mid size tractor on up, I'd get a deutz, based on my experience with the ones here. Their engines are outstanding, used a lot on mining equipment.

yeah comes with the blower.. I see that there's no piston for the front of the bucket but that's no biggie. I think the close dealer is 1 hr away. My neighbor is the King of internet shopping, So as long as I get a decent name I'm not to worried about parts.

Just to be safe I would recommend doing a little parts searching before you jump into the purchase. I bought a IH284 last year and its a tough little tractor so far but parts are very scarce for it. Best of luck to ya.

I have a kubota 1550 with a loader...I beat the snot out of that thing and she has never let me down. On another note if she didn't have 4x4 she would be useless.

Here's "the other orange tractor" doing it's weekly duties... 65HP 4x4 with a loader... Perkins diesel...
[video=youtube;GujWFNPUOFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GujWFNPUOFM[/video]

The only argument with that is Yanmar is not an "off" brand tractor. They have some domestic dealers but those dealers won't support "grey market" tractors. However Hoye Tractor has a weath of info and you can get parts for them at your local NAPA. Yanmar is a world leader in diesel engine manufacturing and built the worlds first small horizontal diesel engine in 1933. The big issue most people have with them is the nature of "grey market" equipment. Due to the over intrusive nature of the government and legal system in this country anything not originally designed to be sold in the USA can run into legal problems. Therefore Yanmar will not support tractors in the US that were sold in Japan. There is nothing illegal about these tractors they just don't conform to the safety standards for new tractors in the US. Because of the fear and misinformation on these and other "grey market" tractors the sell for less money than a similar big name tractor. Like anything that you buy used, check things out before you buy, make sure you know what you are getting and what needs to be fixed and where you can get the parts to fix it. If you can avoid any Korea/Vietnamese refurbish tractors, and deal with honest sellers, you can find deals to be had.

Found this one today.. seems cheap.

B275 INTERNATIONAL TRACTOR - New Brunswick Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji New Brunswick Canada.

This is totally random that I found this (random googling). I registered on this site just to comment. The IH B-275 is like one of the tractor worlds best kept secrets, except it's not a secret at all.

Amazing tractor for the money. 38HP diesel, live PTO, 4 speed tranny with Hi/Low range (8 gears in total + 2 reverse), differential lock, 3 point hitch etc... They're pretty popular in Canada, buying parts is a non issue.

Best part of all; they're cheap and bullet proof. I clicked your link but it's already been taken down. If you find one in decent shape I would not hesitate to buy it.

EDIT: I will admit though, you're not going to be picking up thousands of pounds with the loader. A few 12' lengths of wet pine is no problem though.

Last edited:
I have a Mahindra 3525.It's stout as can be and built heavy.You can get a new Mahindra for about what you will pay for a used other brand.

I've heard lots of good about JD, MF, Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota, IH, Case, and many more...

It all comes down to this fact... they all have their better and crappier tractors, some are cheap to maintain, run forever, and are easy to find parts for... while some will charge you out the arse for a stupid small part and break down all the time.

In general, older is better. Less wires, less crap to go wrong. Can be fixed with duct tape, screwdriver, pliers, wrench, bailing wire, twine, shop towels, and a hammer. Try that with some new tractor with all of that fancy electronic #### shoved up its ass. If you were to get it too wet, it might just quit on ya, and never start up for you again, even after cussing to the point that sailors nearby start blushing...

John Deere, Kubota, and Case, you are paying for a name more than anything else... a pair, yes, one pair for one side... of brake shoes for the ass end of the both famous and infamous 317 garden tractor are 100 bucks... hell, I did the whole ass end of a Honda CR-X for a parts cost of 98 bucks, that includes drums, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders... not super cheap generic crap parts either, these are decent parts that I put on.

Stupid... just stupid. The dealers probably make 30%+ profit on parts, and even more on actual shop work and such on mowers and tractors. It's like going to Cabela's for ammo and guns and such when you can get them for a lot less at a good shop, or even online from a good source.

Speaking of 317's, one of mine broke a rod. Yep, the crank and rod are toast, everything else is okay and could be used in a correct rebuild for someone restoring a 317.

Somehow, this Series I did not get improved to Series II on the rebuild done years ago in the 80's, and so from mowing the ditches on our property, we destroyed it. Oh well. We didn't pay that much for it in the first place. Guy did say it had the Series II update done on it, it's possible the oil pump went out or something.

Planning on a Briggs Vanguard kit for it when spare green swings around for it. It needs a new drive shaft too... I'm having a lot of trouble getting that off. Yes, I took the roll pin out. It will not come off. Thought of a propane bernz-o-matic torch to heat it up so it expands and seeing if that helps... Also thought about the grinder with a cutoff wheel to make a place for something to spread the yoke piece on the input shaft to loosen its grip so I can slide it off.

Our other 317 is running great so far. We did pay quite a bit for this one... it was done right from what I can tell. It don't look real pretty, but sure runs good. Haven't had to do anything other than rear tires, the drive shaft, PTO clutch bearing, and the 30 buck mule drive pulley that exploded its bearing. Mower deck needed a spindle replacement, but so far, nothing else, well it does needs blades... Almost rust free too, even from years of mowing slightly damp grass. Clumps of wet grass fall out every now and then while mowing during the season. We've had it for 10 years now.

I have a Mahindra 3525.It's stout as can be and built heavy.You can get a new Mahindra for about what you will pay for a used other brand.
Hi. We've been looking at their 40 and 50HP tractors in the 35 series. They seem solid.
What year is your tractor, did you buy new, if so and you're happy with the vendor and their service, who was that?
Thanks.

Hi. We've been looking at their 40 and 50HP tractors in the 35 series. They seem solid.
What year is your tractor, did you buy new, if so and you're happy with the vendor and their service, who was that?
Thanks.

Mine is a 2007 model that I bought new after about 30 years of working on used tractors,old IH and 8N Fords mostly.
It was easy to buy, I bought mine from Big Bee in Sicily Island,Louisiana and they where about as good a vendor as any I guess, no complaints.I do my own service and I haven't needed any parts so I can't speak to that end of it.I can say, mine is one heavy duty tough well built machine and simple as well.I think I gave 8500$ for it new, and that's about what I would have paid for a used JD, Ford, Massey, or any of the other big name brands.
Also, my Dad bought a Mahindra 4052 in 1996, and it has been used pretty hard.The only thing he's done to it beside weld the exhaust pipe where he broke it off on a low limb,is replace the hydraulic pump about 5 years ago.Cost 230$ if I remember right.Hope this helps.

When I was in the market for a new tractor I wanted to make sure I had a good dealer in case I did need parts or service support. I shopped Kubota, John Deere, Mahindra, Montana before I purchased. As far as price, Kubota and JD were close, but Mahindra and Montana were not that much cheaper. I chose a Kubota Grand L 3830 HST from a dealer that has been a family business for 3 generations. Shortly after I made my purchase the local Mahindra and Montana dealers were gone. I have been well pleased with my Kubota, price should not be the only consideration when chosing a tractor.

Steve

Yea but: Plowin' these fields in the hot summer sun
Over by the gate lordy here she comes
With a basket full of chicken and a big cold jug of sweet tea
I make a little room and she climbs on up
Open up the throttle and stir a little dust
Just look at her face she ain't a foolin' me

She thinks my tractor's sexy
It really turns her on
She's always starin' at me
While I'm chuggin' along
She likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
She's even kind of crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
She's the only one who really understands what gets me

We ride back and forth 'til we run out of light
Take it to the barn put it up for the night
Climb up in the loft sit and talk with the radio on
She said she's got a dream and I asked what it is
She wants a little farm and a yard full of kids
And one more teeny weeny ride before I take her home

It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin' along

Well she ain't into cars or pickup trucks
But if it runs like a Deere man her eyes light up

She thinks my tractor's
It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin' along

Yea but: Plowin' these fields in the hot summer sun
Over by the gate lordy here she comes
With a basket full of chicken and a big cold jug of sweet tea
I make a little room and she climbs on up
Open up the throttle and stir a little dust
Just look at her face she ain't a foolin' me

It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin' along

We ride back and forth 'til we run out of light
Take it to the barn put it up for the night
Climb up in the loft sit and talk with the radio on
She said she's got a dream and I asked what it is
She wants a little farm and a yard full of kids
And one more teeny weeny ride before I take her home

It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin' along

Well she ain't into cars or pickup trucks
But if it runs like a Deere man her eyes light up

She thinks my tractor's
It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin' along

Yes... This is true... But only if it's Painted John Deere green... Sorry redhead...:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm still looking.. I'm really trying to find one local and it's proving to be harder then I thought. I have my Eye one one at a Dealer it's a 69' Massey with industrial pump and loader. But I know it was probably a trade in and they gave the guy maybe $3k for it and now they gave it a quick paint job and want $6500 for it, plus I'd have to pay Tax. There's an Auction this Tuesday that I'm going to go to that has a nice Newer Case.. I figured if it went cheap I'd bid on it.

I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Bill

Just keep hunting, craigslist, ebay, local trader papers. Eventually you can find what you need. Your price range you could get a diesel and I would put it at the top of the list of wants since you are talking sometimes of a savings of 50%.

Mine is a 2007 model that I bought new after about 30 years of working on used tractors,old IH and 8N Fords mostly.
It was easy to buy, I bought mine from Big Bee in Sicily Island,Louisiana and they where about as good a vendor as any I guess, no complaints.I do my own service and I haven't needed any parts so I can't speak to that end of it.I can say, mine is one heavy duty tough well built machine and simple as well.I think I gave 8500$ for it new, and that's about what I would have paid for a used JD, Ford, Massey, or any of the other big name brands.
Also, my Dad bought a Mahindra 4052 in 1996, and it has been used pretty hard.The only thing he's done to it beside weld the exhaust pipe where he broke it off on a low limb,is replace the hydraulic pump about 5 years ago.Cost 230$ if I remember right.Hope this helps.
Thank you.

I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I bought a 1952 Ford 8N when we moved out to the country five years ago. 12 acres, three of which are solid, thick woods. I originally bought it to mow then seven acre meadow. It came with a shredder. (Brush Hog.) Then I bought a 1942 Ferguson two bottom plow to turn over two and a half acres around the house to plant bermuda grass.
The 8N had no problem pulling that plow. Then I paid $80 for a boom pole to help carry heavy things around the place. I also use it to pull logs out of the woods. I borrowed a neighbors box blade to resurface our private road and now I have a back blade to maintain it. A finish mower was added to mow the the 2.5 acres around the house. Also picked up a dirt/pond scoop for about $100 that is great for digging flowerbeds, hauling sand and gravel or even bringing in rounds that I've cut in the woods.

Because there were hundreds of thousands of these tractors built, and most of them are still in use, parts are readily available. I can walk into any Tractor Supply and get "1952 Ford 8N" parts right off the shelf. Try that with those off brand imports! You could build one of these from scratch with the parts easily found on line. As a last resort I can always get parts at the New Holland dealer but they cost a little more.

It's a simple machine. I'm not a mechanic but I can read a shop manual. I've rarely had any trouble at all with my tractor but have been able to take care of everything myself.

You can put a loader on one of these, too. I have no use for a loader and especially don't need one just because it looks cool.

You can find a running N tractor for $1500 and a really nice one for $3000 or so. And it will probably still be running for the next 60 years. Not sure you can say that for those expensive KabotaMahindryammerjammers.

Latest posts

Back