Gonna get me a Tractor!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In celebration of my 1000th post I figured I'd bite the bullet and go get myself a Tractor. I was at the dealer and had my eye on a nice 50 hp M Series Kubota then I went inside and found out the price..

SOOOO.. In my real life I'll be lookign to spend about $5-6K on an older tractor.. I'm looking for 1 with a loader and I plan to put a blower on the back come winter. I know this is a loader question but I'm looking for advice on what to buy and what to stay away from. I know I know it's like a 16 year old asking a bunch of guys at the Bar what kind of car he should buy! But I'm know crap about tractors, all I know is I want a good make so I can buy parts when the 40 Yr/old thing breaks down.

I'm calling a guy tomorrow about a 75' International , 60 hp with a loader. I wouldn't even know how to turn it on. If I go to look at it I'll bring help!~:eek:uttahere2:

My short answer: JD is going to cost more for the name and parts are going to be more. For 5-6k your going to be looking at 60s-80s 2wd tractors. They are probably going to be gas. Deseils are way more fuel effecient and have way more power, try to find one. What are you going to be doing with the tractor. This will determine if you need a 25hp tractor or a 65hp tractor. If you go to look at a tractor try to bring a friend that is knowlegeable about tractors or is a mechanic. It will save you money in the long run.

Do you really need a 60 hp tractor ?From what I know about tractors this is a decent sized machine.I (actually it dads) have a kubota b8200 4 wheel drive.It is only 19 hp and more than fits our needs.we have a 6 ft grader blade,five foot finish mower as well as a lift boom for the three point hitch.There is a bucket attachment for it but we have never really decided we need it.

The tractor is an 1986 model .Dad purchased it in 88 .other than maintence and a $35 fuel lift pump we have done nothing to the tractor.

you may want to consider something smalller to get in your price range.An old farmer once told me"you can take a small tractor and do a big job,it just takes a little longer".

Kubota is cheap. Price out a 95hp Orchard Tractor from Case or Deere sometime. How the hell anything so little can get that damn expensive is a crime.

5-6K for a used Tractor with a loader, means high hours and needing plenty of work, tires, and likely an overhaul.
That's a tight budget.

Things to look for are tires(You think car tires are expensive? LOL!), worn out clutch, fussy gearboxes and PTO's., Hydraulics needing major work, rims rusted through from chloride, leaky fuel system, noisy injector pump, etc..

Most things are make and model dependant, so holler when ya have tone lock on one.

We have Marco. If it's a Tractor, he's cussed it while working on it.LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'll tell you what tractor I have and maybe you can use it as a guideline. I have an early 70's model JD 4020 diesel with a hydraulic loader. 40 year old tractor- worth about $10K plus maybe $2K for the loader. These things really hold their value due to the price of new models. When cutting wood, I use the loader and chain to raise one end of the fallen tree so that I can buck it up off the ground. This is about a 95 HP tractor, and its all will do to lift one end of a 40' ash tree up. But it would be plenty powerful enough to lift 12' sections of logs. I also like to load bucked logs in the bucket to haul to the splitting site, I can dump them and not have to unload by hand. Its also handy to use the loader bucket to push brush up into a pile if you are cutting up whole trees. The size of the tractor you buy will depend on what you will be using it for.

Diesel is by far the best, but you will need to plug the block heater in for a couple of hours to get it started in the winter. Not to scare you, but an engine overhaul on a tractor like this can run $3-5K. Labor rates at a dealer can run well over $ 100 per hour.

Good luck with your search.

well here is my 2 cents worth. I have a new holland tractor that is 40 hp four wheel drive all the way up to a 9400 john deere that is is 340 hp. If you are gonna be using it around the house to load wood and general home maintenance work i would go with a two wheel drive 60 ish horse power tractor. Now alot of guys on here are gonna think that is a big machine. it is but in the seventies and early eighties there where a lot of tractors made in this size range and the are pretty reasonable in price(within your budget). plus parts are everywhere for them. Also when you get in this size tractor you will b able to lift over 2000 pounds with the loader and that is very handy. Shingles? stones for a patio? sod? lots and lots of things come in a one ton package. something to think about. My 40 horse will not lift 2000 pounds and it gets real annoying having to unload alittle by hand to pick up or having to get another tractor from somewhere else. (lucky i have that option) Also i said two wheel drive. Alot of guys arent gonna like this idea either. But really if you cant get somewhere in two wheel drive you really dont need to be in there. but in snow you will do fine. Lots of ruts and headache. A stuck tractor is not fun at all to get out. Plus a few wheel weights makes these tractor great in alot of conditions anyway. And more than likely when you buy one the will come with the right weights! you said that you are gonna want to put a blower on this thing you might wanna do alittle research and see what kind of pto speed the ones in your price range will need. There are two speed 540 and 1000. Today 1000 is usually only on larger tractors but in the past it was on smaller ones to. just something to look at. Hate to buy a 540 and snow blowers run 1000? I dont know? we don't get near enough snow down here to need a blower. and one more thing to look at. on the loader. are its hydraulics designated for the loader? or are they ran to the back of the tractor and you use your rear remote controls to operate it? Either way they work well. but me personally i like to b able to run my loader and rear remotes at the same time. I have it in my head to build a pull type hydraulic skidder to go on my tractor. that way i can lift a log with the bucket and one with the skidder and take two logs at a time saving time and money. anyway after all of that i hope that i may have giving you a few thing to think about in you situation. and like many others have said take someone that is familiar with these things. although most are very simple somethings you just dont want to mess with. Clutches and transmissions mainly. alot tractors pretty much get taken in two parts to change these parts and int gets real expensive.

That 624 is a European made tractor I believe. They can be a bear to get parts for and have oddball fitting sizes. Check with Marco to get the straight poop.

I wasn't in the market but fell into a Kubota B2100, 21HP 3 cylinder diesel, 4wd, hst with FEL only. Nice little machine and the reason I bought it was the price, old timer only wanted $6k on a 1998 machine with 530hours.

They are around for good deals, but not for the HP you want at that price target.

Try auctions, they are your best bet.

It would kind of help to know what you will be using it for.

There is only one small tractor to consider for tree work ...

Here is my Steiner 430 MaxMax, a real bad dog with 8 wheels. Blows your compact JD out of the water and drags it all over the lot.

5961504546_d505b34946_b.jpg

The Steiner is great for tight spots and doesn't tear up the turf like a skid steer or bigger tractor would:

[video=youtube;Ngj_06h5LCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngj_06h5LCI[/video]

Last edited:
Rigwelder gave some great advice!!!

I have a 1975 Ford 5000, diesel, 65hp. I would love to get rid of the old after market cab, and get a set of fenders for it, and a loader. There is a local machinery dealer that has a Ford 727 loader that would be a perfect match for this tractor. Used farm type tractors of this size and age with a loader, will probably fall right into your price range. They have enough "umpf" to do most jobs, that the smaller compacts might not. Good luck in your quest!!! :)

BoomPole006.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

hanniedog is right, the 624 and 724 also where made in germany. a friend has one, although its been a good tractor for him finding some parts is difficult. wrecking yards are about the only option. the only beef i have with the thousand series fords is to slow tractor hydraulics to run a front end loader.

Not necessarily the one you are looking at, but that size of international makes for a nice chore tractor. The FEL on those are usually pretty workable as well. You may also want to look into the late 60s-80s Case CK series of tractors. I personally have a 580 CK backhoe (not all have a backhoe) that runs about 45 HP that is a working maniac. Its old, worn out, mega hours and will STILL get the job done. Plus the CK series has an industrial loader, unlike a farm loader (like was mentioned on the Deere 4020). It will typically outlift 2:1 a standard loader. Used ones are all over the place. Case must have made millions of the darn things. Oh, and many are a shuttle drive forward/reverse. You pick the gear and foward/reverse is a flip of the lever. When it comes to bucket work, it is the BEST. Period.

Just throwing that out there.

Guys mention the lack of parts for the 624, never worked on one, but I'll take their word for it.

Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota only showed one tractor under 7K in NB, and that was a compact with a loader.

Found a couple on autotrader of all places:

Massey 165 industrial with the world's ugliest half cab, comes with tire chains: Used 1969 MASSEY-FERGUSON Industial 165 for Sale In FREDERICTON, NB - 4544803 - autoTRADER.ca

IH 434, a little smaller than the 624 you're looking at, but a Doncaster (England) built tractor, and parts are easier to get. Loader and tire chains, and a snow blower: Used 1971 International Harvester 434 for Sale In FREDERICTON, NB - 5204566 - autoTRADER.ca I'd give this one a look if I were you.

Most common stuff to look at on most any tractor is - oil leaks, small ones are no big deal, but replacing hoses gets expensive. Motor starts/runs without excessive smoke. Older diesels will commonly have a bit of bluish smoke till they warm up, and a pump that's twisted up a bit will smoke black under load, but white smoke (head gasket) or blue smoke after warmup (rings, etc) can mean engine work soon.

Clutch should engage and disengage smoothly, and not slip. Brakes should be in good working order (both sides - most tractors have a brake pedal for each rear wheel to help with turning). A brake job on a tractor can be expensive, as many of them are inside the axle housing and take a lot of work to get to.

3 point hitch, hydraulics and PTO - the 3 pt should lift what it's rated for or close to it, and hold it up while running/moving around. Many older tractors the 3pt will settle - sometimes quickly, after the motor is off. ALWAYS lower 3pt equipment before getting off the tractor, running or not! Hydraulics should lift smoothly - a lot of chatter means low oil or a problem with the oil pickup, weak or no lift means hyd pump is shot and could be a spendy fix (some are inside the transmission/rearend). PTO should start up fairly smoothly and not slip, if the tractor you're buying is at a dealer, ask em if they have a dyno and if it's been on it. Most shop dynos are PTO, and any problems will show up quickly at full load. PTO should stop when turned off. Many older tractors, it's common for the PTO brake to not work anymore, it can take a long time for something with a lot of rotating mass to slow down, but it should come to a complete stop.

Wheels and tires were mentioned above, but I'll say it again: Tractor tires ain't cheap! Worn out rear tires will go a long time for occasional use, and with chains will go about anywhere. Bad weatherchecking can mean a failure soon, regardless of tread. If tires (usually rear only) are filled with fluid for more weight, watch for rusted rims, especially around the valve stems. I've patched em before, but it's a lot of work (tire needs to come off), and it depends on finding some good metal left on the rim to weld to, as well as a little fabrication knowhow.

Loader and bucket: Buckets get dinged up and patched up, but if it's real twisted, it's gonna suck to work with. New buckets aren't real cheap, but they are an option. Loader arms take a beating, and it's not uncommon to see repair welds on em. A good job, preferably with a reinforcment plate used, isn't a big deal, but a lot of cracks that haven't been fixed, or caveman looking fixes should be avoided. Look closely at all the pivot points for excessive wear, cracking, etc. Like mentioned above, buckets can settle, sometimes faster than you'd think. Keep em on the ground if you're not at the wheel. Oh - and PLEASE don't drive around with the dang thing way up in the air! Keep it within a couple feet of the ground unless you need to go higher, and you're a lot less likely to roll the tractor over.

Yup, I've written another tractor book. I probably still missed something, and someone's sure to correct me on something, but it gives ya a few points to ponder.

Cool thanks Steve..

Lots to think about. I'm going to take a look at this one tonight, I gotta start somewhere.

Maybe I'm color blind but ...

Steve in NW WI gives a very good overview on what to look for. If you know very little about tractors, a knowledgeable friend along for the ride is invaluable.

A little of my opinion on what to consider - Unless you KNOW a dead manufacturer's tractor inside and out, are willing to learn, or have a very good friend that does, I'd avoid it. IH has been dead since the 80's when Case bought them. They were killed a second time in the late 90's when New Holland bought Case and even deep-sixed the IH name. They made several good tractors (dunno 'bout the 624), but they're gone and parts get harder to find every year.

You pay more for Deere because Deere is still alive and mostly supports their past products. You can still go into a Deere dealership and get parts (may not be the best bang for your buck, but they're THERE) on Deere tractors made in the 50's. You can buy a 4020, but they're a very high tractor - good for clearance and great for field work, but not so good in the woods. I'd be looking for utility machines. You give up a little clearance, but you'll have a more stable machine that will fit under and around trees better. I prefer to mow pasture in and around the woods with my 2040 and 6 foot mower vs. my 4430 and 10 foot mower.

Good luck with whatever machine you buy.

Back