gonna try selling firewood this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a small volume guy, just getting into selling. I own:

-a wheel barrow
-Honda mini van
-10 lb maul

I get all of my wood free on Craigslist or scavenge and have delivered 3 cords this year to the affluent suburbs of Philadelphia. Good side money for a teacher, not to mention great cardio and FUN:)

90% of my wood customers are women because I deliver small loads. Most of them want it split and piled and I bring the wood as soon as they want it, so they spread the word and usually give me a tip.
Customers also appreciate it when you cut some kindling for them.

The gender ratio for firewood buyers in my area is about 80/20 in favor of men. Though most of my sales are for cocking wood. (bbq's, pizza ovens)
I only get a few asking for delivery. When I add the cost of delivery they loose interest and back out of the deal.
Lets say I get 250 a cord. If I add as little as 30 bucks, they back out. They want free delivery.
They also want it on there time schedule, not mine.
Every time I made a delivery, someone would be at my gate wanting wood.
It just is not cost effective for me. I sell more then I can produce anyway and having them come to me has worked well for me.
Down here we get the part time winter sellers that disappear when it warms up. They always sell green wood cheap.
I don't even try to compete with them. They will be gone in a few weeks.

The gender ratio for firewood buyers in my area is about 80/20 in favor of men. Though most of my sales are for cocking wood. (bbq's, pizza ovens)
I only get a few asking for delivery. When I add the cost of delivery they loose interest and back out of the deal.
Lets say I get 250 a cord. If I add as little as 30 bucks, they back out. They want free delivery.
They also want it on there time schedule, not mine.
Every time I made a delivery, someone would be at my gate wanting wood.
It just is not cost effective for me. I sell more then I can produce anyway and having them come to me has worked well for me.
Down here we get the part time winter sellers that disappear when it warms up. They always sell green wood cheap.
I don't even try to compete with them. They will be gone in a few weeks.
I wonder how much my customer base would increase if I advertized my wood as, "One cord of seasoned cocking wood, 75$ a Rick delivered.

In my situation most of my loads are delivered. Maybe 1/2 of 1% is picked up. It appears that each area has different factors involved. Where as most of my customers do not have pickups and they want it stacked. For some selling from their processing yard really does make sence.
Thanks

If your changing oil properly on a race bike or quad it should come out damn near brand new anyways. Not like 5k car oil or 50hr atv oil. Had an old mechanic who only ran used oil in his car and motorcycles. Had a virago 1100 with 125k, venture with 240k, and a accord with 275k on it. He had his own 55 gal drum at the shop and anything clean went in it. Winterizing season was good to him. Lots of watercraft coming in with 5 hours on the oil. My heart woulda never let me do it :)

If your changing oil properly on a race bike or quad it should come out damn near brand new anyways. Not like 5k car oil or 50hr atv oil. Had an old mechanic who only ran used oil in his car and motorcycles. Had a virago 1100 with 125k, venture with 240k, and a accord with 275k on it. He had his own 55 gal drum at the shop and anything clean went in it. Winterizing season was good to him. Lots of watercraft coming in with 5 hours on the oil. My heart woulda never let me do it :)

Yes you are correct.

I am a small volume guy, just getting into selling. I own:

-a wheel barrow
-Honda Mini van
-10 lb maul

I get all of my wood free in Craigslist or scavenge and have delivered 3 cords this year to the affluent suburbs of Philadelphia. Good side money for a teacher, not to mention great cardio and FUN:)
Teachers don't work hard :)

Teachers don't work hard :)

That statement is 1 more reason I do not let my wife now what web forum's I am on!
She would go on a couple day rant if she saw that! Now I have tried to reason with her, but I get NO WHERE! I have explained that I work at least 100 more days out of the year and for many more hours each day, but some how, I am using the old math instead of the "common core" math and am actually computing it incorrectly.;)

I wouldn't call it being a firewood vendor/doing firewood sales

That'd be like me selling a car or two a year and calling myself a car dealership. Or renting a Uhaul and thinking I'm a trucker.
Teaching... no thanks... unless they bring back the yard stick and paddle!

I wouldn't call it being a firewood vendor/doing firewood sales

That'd be like me selling a car or two a year and calling myself a car dealership. Or renting a Uhaul and thinking I'm a trucker.
Teaching... no thanks... unless they bring back the yard stick and paddle!

Completely agree. Not a vender/seller, just something for side money . 3 cords in four months, paid cash. Maybe step up with equipment in the future? Something to think about

Completely agree. Not a vender/seller, just something for side money . 3 cords in four months, paid cash. Maybe step up with equipment in the future? Something to think about
Do it enough to make you happy. The more money you spend on equipment the less you get to keep. Its as much about satisfaction as it is about making money.

Two saws, one 22 ton splitter, several wheelbarrows, one 6000 lb trailer, one 4000 lb trailer.
Verbal contracts with tree company's donating free wood.
I probably do 50+ cord a year. My biggest asset, repeat customer's.

Latest posts

Back