Good axes that won't break the bank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's been a while since I was in the market for an Axe or two .... :sword:

Gransfor Bruk are pretty pricey. I can't seem to find Wetterling's like I have in the past - I'm guessing they aren't imported or distributed like they were in the past.

Where should I look for good axes that won't break the bank? I want good quality over a cheap price so, if it takes a $100 for a good axe let me know. Please recommend good on-line places to purchase as well. I'm looking for a good basic set which I think includes the following:
  • ~14 inch ~1lb handy camp axe
  • ~20 inch ~1.5lb limbing axe
  • ~29 inch felling axe
  • splitting maul and a twisted wedge

The one Fiskars axe I used didn't cut worth darn and was shaped more like a wedge. In the past I spent some quality time with a Wetterling 26H. Now I'm looking at property in Northern AL and Southern TN so, it's time to assess my axe and chainsaw needs in addition to what I need for mom's place in Central OK.

TIA,
Sid

And you post this in the chainsaw forum for what reason?

Why don't you try the firewood forum on this site?

Have a good day.

My searches showed the good axe discussions were in the chainsaw forum. The other forums were more about cheap hatchets. If this is really the wrong forum, hopefully a moderator will move it.

They (husky axe) are made by Wetterlings i live a couple of miles from mill/factory!? and have been there watching when they made them :)

:clap:

That's great news! That also probably explains why I'm having trouble finding Wetterlings here in the USA.

how about trying ebay for a good used axe. you never know what you might find, i think the steel in the older axes are better than most new store bought axes. Here in the UK on ebay i got a real nice old 1952 gilpin axe that had seen very little use and shined up with very little work. Yeah a quality forged gransfors bruks would be nice and id love one but the price can be sharper than the axe.

On american ebay you often see quality older ax heads (incuding GB) for little money. Id be in there like a shot if it wasnt for the postage.
regards a

Fiskars 4 lb super splitting axe - then the 2 1/4 lb splitting axe - then the small 14" ?? hand splitting one! love them all! Had a fancy high dollar one and it does not compare to the fiskars!

:agree2: :cheers: :bowdown:

My favorites are the True Temper Kelly Forge axes. I always JB Weld a peice of mig wire to the striking side of the handle about 8 inches up from the head.Really lengthens the life of the handle.

I just bought a double and a single bit at an auction for $15. You'll see them on E-bay.

Bailey's is having a good sale on the Fiskar line of tools. I would get all of them.

Sam

Do I need some special code from a email or this website to get "sale" prices? I didn't see them on sale when looked at their website.

It's been a while since I was in the market for an Axe or two .... :sword:

Gransfor Bruk are pretty pricey. I can't seem to find Wetterling's like I have in the past - I'm guessing they aren't imported or distributed like they were in the past.

Where should I look for good axes that won't break the bank? I want good quality over a cheap price so, if it takes a $100 for a good axe let me know. Please recommend good on-line places to purchase as well. I'm looking for a good basic set which I think includes the following:
  • ~14 inch ~1lb handy camp axe
  • ~20 inch ~1.5lb limbing axe
  • ~29 inch felling axe
  • splitting maul and a twisted wedge

The one Fiskars axe I used didn't cut worth darn and was shaped more like a wedge. In the past I spent some quality time with a Wetterling 26H. Now I'm looking at property in Northern AL and Southern TN so, it's time to assess my axe and chainsaw needs in addition to what I need for mom's place in Central OK.

TIA,
Sid

Bailey's is having a good sale on the Fiskar line of tools. I would get all of them.

Sam
:agree2:
You can get 3 out of 4 on your list for around a $100.00. :clap:

Does any one know of a good USA made forged axe?

There used to be several companies. I have a few of the older axes they made and love them.

The Swedish tools are top notch and I have nothing against them; own a few in fact.

I'd just like to buy a good American made axe if possible.

Mr. HE:cool:

Does any one know of a good USA made forged axe?

There used to be several companies. I have a few of the older axes they made and love them.

The Swedish tools are top notch and I have nothing against them; own a few in fact.

I'd just like to buy a good American made axe if possible.

I believe Snow and Nealley might still be made up in Main but I could be wrong. :dunno:

They may just be "headquartered" in Main these days and importing the same 'nese junk as everybody else???

I had heard that Snow and Nealy were importing now. But I just found their website and all their products talk about being made by Maine craftsmen which is hard to do overseas. lol

I know Baileys sells them so I submitted a question asking if they are USA made.

I also found a company called Council Tool that makes axes and other tools in NC, and I sent them an email asking where to buy one in my local area.

Coucil Tool was just feataured on one of "How it's made shows", looks like they may have a quality product depending on the quality of steel they use.
Look on ebay, pawn shops, flea markets for the old Keen Kutter brand, I have a couple and they seem to be excellent axes.

I had heard that Snow and Nealy were importing now. But I just found their website and all their products talk about being made by Maine craftsmen which is hard to do overseas. lol

I had "heard" that also but never did find out for sure, that’s why I said I could be wrong. Getting harder and harder to find anything made in this country anymore...... but I'd like to personally say thanks for trying. ;) :clap:

Yes I believe Council is still made here. :cheers:

how about trying ebay for a good used axe. you never know what you might find, i think the steel in the older axes are better than most new store bought axes. Here in the UK on ebay i got a real nice old 1952 gilpin axe that had seen very little use and shined up with very little work. Yeah a quality forged gransfors bruks would be nice and id love one but the price can be sharper than the axe.

On american ebay you often see quality older ax heads (incuding GB) for little money. Id be in there like a shot if it wasnt for the postage.
regards a

Yep Ebay, that's what I would do. You are correct. The older axes do have much better steel in them than to days cheap axes. Any True Temper , Kelly Works, Blue Grass Belknap, Collins, Keen Kutter, Manns, Norlund, Sager Chemical, Evansville Tool Works, Winchester, etc. will be good quality axes. Just be sure to get a one that's not already worn out.

Last edited:
Back