Good blade for brushcutter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Reaction score
I know this might not be the right place but the other forums are like a ghost town.

I just got a Redmax BC4401DW(41.5cc) and it needs a new blade. I've checked out the Beaver Blade online and like the looks but how does it preform? They seem pricey and the extra chains are stupid pricey, looks like I can make my own loops using some RSC.:D

The Stihl "chisel tooth" looks good also.

Both can be sharpened with a file, me likey.

Thoughts?

We sell a ton of these.
I came in here to recommend the chainsaw-toothed blade I have.
It's like the Tornado, but it's full comp. I like it, but I think I'd like to try the Tornado. It's probably just as effective but quicker to sharpen. I seem to hit alot of tooth-dulling crap when clearing.
I wonder if the Tornado doesn't cut as smooth as the full comp., though ? Have you run one ? Is it "jumpy" ?

I came in here to recommend the chainsaw-toothed blade I have.
It's like the Tornado, but it's full comp. I like it, but I think I'd like to try the Tornado. It's probably just as effective but quicker to sharpen. I seem to hit alot of tooth-dulling crap when clearing.
I wonder if the Tornado doesn't cut as smooth as the full comp., though ? Have you run one ? Is it "jumpy" ?

I've never run one in real thick brush. However it's supposed to be very low kickback. We sell these to some large contract clearing companies, and I've talked to the guys that run the clearing saws, they swear by these blades.

Ya gotta get a Shredder blade as well.

Oregon has 'em on 5,000 week back order but Bailys snagged me a couple.

Not so hot for woody brush bigger than 1" or so, but they whoop up on everything smaller and fling it away from where you are cutting so it dosn't stack up and slow you down. The cut AND Mangle LOL!!!

Greenbrier, Blackberry canes, young Sassafrass, Virginia creeper vines, clump grass all just get mulched like a handheld flail chopper.

The std. Windsor saw blades seem to work good for us, the only hassle is pinging off a rock and then having to wear out a file.

The 12 tooth blade looks like a possible "Must have" if it deflects less.
I hate it when I'm trimming between young bushes, get a kickback and take out 3 years of growth...

If ya get one run it and let us know will ya.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've got the 3 bladed stihl one. Not real happy with it actually. Kind of choppy and rough to use. I'm going to try the circular saw style if I get another one

Ya gotta get a Shredder blade as well.

Oregon has 'em on 5,000 week back order but Bailys snagged me a couple.

Not so hot for woody brush bigger than 1" or so, but they whoop up on everything smaller and fling it away from where you are cutting so it dosn't stack up and slow you down. The cut AND Mangle LOL!!!

Greenbrier, Blackberry canes, young Sassafrass, Virginia creeper vines, clump grass all just get mulched like a handheld flail chopper.

The std. Windsor saw blades seem to work good for us, the only hassle is pinging off a rock and then having to wear out a file.

The 12 tooth blade looks like a possible "Must have" if it deflects less.
I hate it when I'm trimming between young bushes, get a kickback and take out 3 years of growth...

If ya get one run it and let us know will ya.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If it will fit the Redmax, I'll buy one. I got enough of that crap you just described to make a good report. If I wait until summer, I'll be using the bush hog.:cry:

Nice! Thanks E&E.:yourock:

Do you know if they will fit my Redmax? Maybe it has adaptors?

It fits most brushcutters, it fits 20mm arbors out of the box, with a knockout to fit 1" (25.4mm) arbors. I don't know what size arbor your Redmax has.

i have a Beaver Blade on my FS 80 and i really like it. it will go through 2-3" trees like a 660. one thing that takes some getting used to, is the run-on when you release the throttle. the flywheel effect means it takes several seconds to come to a stop, as opposed to a string head that will stop almost immediately.

What is wrong with the common Stihl Chisel-tooth ones?

They work just fine around here - but I haven't tried anything else...

There was a recent thread about the shredder blade Bailey's carries (WF 64W0425 SHREDDER BLADE 300MM L x 4MM T x 1" ARBOR 12.64) I ordered one for my new Stihl FS130. What a great combination. I've run thru about six tanks of fuel using this blade. This blade is a 3" or so flat bar with ears at each end that hang down about 2". The ears snag the stalks and shread them up versus just cutting the stem off.

With just a little patience (like 20 seconds or so) it will wear thru a 1" sapling so I don't need to swap out for my circular chisel blade. It also takes down heavy grass better than the saw blade IMHO. I think it is the ideal blade for clearing overgrown fence rows, etc. Since they are so much cheaper than other blades, I am going to order a couple more for spares.

I have used the Stihl "chisel tooth" for about 9 years.
It will cut 1in dia stuff in a blink of a eye.
I have it on a little FS80 and use the whole depth of the blade.
It's still hard for me to believe how fast this blade cuts.

TT

Redmax arbor size should be 25mm. Get a stihl 3 point brush knife, chisel blade and a comfort harness. I prefer Redmax sst229 blades for brushcutting but I don’t think they are made any longer. Shindaiwa tornado are very smooth but I find that they dull quickly.

I've never run one in real thick brush. However it's supposed to be very low kickback. We sell these to some large contract clearing companies, and I've talked to the guys that run the clearing saws, they swear by these blades.

Kyle i have a few im willing to send to someone to see if it works for there trimmer

I've had one like this http://www.edgeandengine.com/webstore/wecs.php?store=edge&action=display&target=OEP+41-924
sitting in the laundry room for years and the other day I got the brush cutter attachment for my Troybilt weed hacker and the 4 way blade that came with it sucked. I was going to take a carbide tipped circular saw blade and bore out the center to make it fit on my new brush cutter attachment but when I grabbed a spare circular saw blade I saw that 8 tooth blade sitting on top of it.
I decided to bore that one out enough to fit instead and I don't have a single complaint about it.
It will handle anything under about 3/4" with ease and when you touch a small vine that is hanging from a tree it will slice it off where the 4 way blade would just kick it.

I've seen these on eBay for a couple years. Guy seems to sell alot of 'em.
Comes with 20mm adapter (if you request) and $5.00 shipping.
These are 9" but he also has 8" ones.
I think he sells mostly 2-pk so reduced shipping (same) than if ya just buy one.
Guy has 98.6 rating with 4700+ sales.
Just sayin' $18 per blade incl. shipping with carbide blade...not too bad...
Does anyone have any experience using this blade??

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pk-CARBIDE-bru...000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b249fdb8

Scroll down page to get close-up pics of it.
J2F

Last edited:
Back