Good compression on used 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Stoltzfus

amateur limber
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used 550xp. The seller isn't completely sure of the history. But, by the looks of it, it's in good shape. Gray paint on the clutch guard isn't scuffed to pieces yet - good sign.

Seller tested the compression at 145 cold. He's at 180 ft, for what it's worth. Here's the question. What compression would you expect from a new 550? And, how would you feel about buying the saw with that compression?

He's asking $380.

I've been reaping the collective know-how from AS for a few months. Quite the pile of fanatics! :)
*restarted this thread from the homeowner helper forum. Thanks, @CaseyForrest.

For 10mm spark plugs I've seen more variation in the readings achieved than anything. 145 is probably fine, but see if you can get a look at the piston. If it's not scored then it's fine.

Everyone's gauge shows different. If you add a adapter it goes lower. If the hose has oil in it it will show high. If piston looks good, and it feels good pulling it without the decomp in, I'd buy it and run it. It sounds fair priced to me and even better if it comes with a bar and chain.

As long as buying it don't put you in the poor house I see no forseable future. Well unless it does not fit the need of what you cut. Enjoy it and cut some wood!! We need some pics/video of it in use and looking like it's being used;). No shelf Queens here.

Latest posts

Back