Good Day All, 1st post! Talk me out of a 201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0ck1r0ck2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that i have learned much from this forum during my months of lurking and now thank you all for the information.

This year i have begun climbing...

last year i moved back to the states after being overseas for 6years and found myself with quite a lot of landscape work.

there were 2 large pastures that were left unused for years and years.
i learned how to drive a skidloader and learned to love the stihl fs80..

there were quite a lot of dead or dying boxelders bent over fences.
much of the work involved chainsaws..

this spring i started landscaping again but kept running into trees that needed a climber to bring down.
i worked with an arborist and found that this was a job that i could be good at and would suit me well.
thus i started studying..

i have been working 50+hr weeks and passing my free time practicing, studying and spending all the loot on climbing gear and books as well as fixing up the piece of #### s10 i inherited..

i have removed a box elder, a birch and have done pruning on several evergreens (old white pines)
the saw i used was my beater ms180,
laugh all you want to lads, she does the job quite well and is a good lightweight runner.

so now that i've completed my climbing kit i'm ready to get a top handle..

i do not want a bang for the buck.. i can afford a decent saw
i'm not that interested in a second hand saw that won't be covered under a warranty.
i want something that will last for years and be able to grow with me as i learn more.

as it stands i'm running a ms180 (16"), a ms391 (25") and a pole extension saw for the fs90 i've got.

thanks in advance for your help..

here's a slayer album

Brad made my 201T an animal. If you want to save some $$$ the Echo 355T is a strong runner right out the door.

201's only real problem is it replaced the 200. It takes a while to break in, but if you've never run a 200 you'll be plenty happy with it. Of course I would say screw the warranty and get one of brad's. The echo 355t has been getting some great reviews from guys I trust, but I haven't had a chance to run one yet. It's hard to follow a legend, but Stihl did the best they could given the rules they had to follow, and it's not tough to open em up. Jeff

thanks for the replies, i do realize that this has been beat almost to death, but the last poll i've seen re-tophandles was a request for a bargain, this is not what i'm after.

i realize you lot probably hear this a lot, but i believe i'm in this for the long haul and would like to start off right.
stihl has a reputation for durability and that is worth more to me at this point than saving a few hundred.

as far as turning it into a monster.. as i'm just starting out climbing i don't really mind the lower cutting speed. i'm taking things slowly.
eg: i'm cutting with a hand saw as much as possible

checking everything twice (or more) and studying before i move.

Long time follower, first time poster!

Hello AS,
Thank you for the wealth of information. I would like to purchase a 201t pre modded from bsnelling, how would start that process?

Left click his name in this thread and a dialog box will appear. Choose the one that says send private message.

A new widow will appear and you can type out your message to him with contact information. Now you are on your way.

well it didn't work, the 201t's manual was my bedtime reading and she's sitting in the other room.

i'll let you know how much of a dog it is later this week after she gets used a bunch.

well it didn't work, the 201t's manual was my bedtime reading and she's sitting in the other room.

i'll let you know how much of a dog it is later this week after she gets used a bunch.

Pics or it did not happen!

Did you see brads before and after video? It's unbelievable how much power is left on the table with this saw.

Congrats!

Oh well

:bang:I hope you listen to climbing instructions better than you did the first attempt of members here trying to help you get a saw.:dizzy:

Be safe.

danka gentlemen...

so i've got this box elder to trim up today.
we'll see how she runs
i've got to get threw 5-15 tanks to see how she wakes up.

any last words before the mayhem?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back