Good deal or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today, I was at my local STIHL dealer picking up a cylinder I had honed (was cheaper to have them do it than buy a ball hone I'd use once). I asked about parts saws. I once got most of an 039, with a good engine, for $25 from them. The owner (kinda know him) led me back to 5 or 6 big boxes of parts saws. Not much bigger stuff, but a lot of little saws. Biggest was a MS460 Magnum parts saw. The best was a running 034 with bad oiler, in nice shape, for $40. I have my eye on the MS460. Not a lot is left, but it is $40. Missing recoil, which I conveniently have (got it with a bunch of parts), top handle, air cleaner, side cover, clutch, and I'm guessing the engine is bad. $40 for it. Most plastic covers are there, and the engine is complete, but like I said, I think it is fried (didn't check). Even though I don't need it, I almost want to get the 034 to fix and sell on eBay or put a $400 pricetag on it at a flea market. :D The MS460 would be nice to have.

He must REALLY like you:clap: :clap:
Buy them all. The plastic covers are worth more than what he wants.

Like most "drug dealers", he's just getting you hooked:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't have the money. Trying to buy a Jetta, and every penny counts. I'm going to call and ask on some air cleaner prices tomorrow, and maybe ask about the engine on the 460.

hamradio said:
Don't have the money. Trying to buy a Jetta, and every penny counts. I'm going to call and ask on some air cleaner prices tomorrow, and maybe ask about the engine on the 460.

Hey, it's like Andy says, the plastic is worth more than that. Call it an investment. Buy it, and sell what you don't want on ebay. You'll see clutch covers go for $20-$40 depending on condition.

<strong german acent> DO IT. DO IT NOW.

I'll give you twice the asking price for the 046 plus shipping if you do not want it.

If you bought them you could make several times your investment back within 1 week. How'd that help towards the jetta?

You're money is supposed to be working, like you, not sitting in the bank:hmm3grin2orange:

Not much is left of the 046. I'm going to call and ask how the engine is today, on the 046.

Back