Good Rigging Control System Complete- Lowering Device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ripped a branch off, thinking the bucket man called for me to crank. He just backed off and let me go at it, since it was a Siberian elm, it snapped where he had nicked the limb to start his cut.

If I was twice as big as most people, I'd rip a branch off of a tree as well!

I dream of using a grcs. Maybe, one day, I'll use a grcs for removals.

Joe

I think a fiddle block should be in everyones bag of tricks. I have both and use them both. I think it says alot about the GRCS that there are never any used ones out there. Pete

I agree, the fiddle block is beneficial. In fact I think the guys tend to use more often than the GRCS.

Are those GRCS units cambium-safe? Meaning, will the big yellow strap under tremendous tension circumsize the tree internally and cause it to die (assuming it's not a take-down)?

If I was twice as big as most people, I'd rip a branch off of a tree as well!

I dream of using a grcs. Maybe, one day, I'll use a grcs for removals.

Joe

I think i was using the Milwaukee Electric HoleHog on that job :laugh:

Are those GRCS units cambium-safe? Meaning, will the big yellow strap under tremendous tension circumsize the tree internally and cause it to die (assuming it's not a take-down)?

Very much so, the pressure is distributed evenly. I've worked on trees every year for 5 years, and some every few years for 12 and seen no damage to the trunks.

The only time I've seen a problem is when there was bad side-loading from improper setup.

Can a GRCS be used in place of a come-along for pull-over applications? Or would that load it in the wring direction...

Yes, that's a great application. Just set a redirect block in the tree above the GRCS so the rope runs (near) vertically from the drum through the winch fairlead.
Phil

grc

One of the best buys. Adds 2-3 people to the crew for pull or lifting power. Will never be with out grc on truck. Get one!

I wonder how small of a tree is will attach to.

around 12-14 inches seems best, smaller can bend the mount.

ONe person can install unit. Use a timber hitch with a loop on end to hang GRC from. Easy one man installation!

I've never thought of that. I just hold on to the bracket and whip the strap around the trunk, other wise I have someone run it around and dress it.

On that note, I've found that having the strap a tad lower then the bracket, when you cinch it, eliminates slippage latter on.

ive heard of people cranking up whole toppled over trees with one of these bad boys... is it as strong as a chipper winch pulley? how big of a log could u crank up?? 30" pine log 10' sections?

ive heard of people cranking up whole toppled over trees with one of these bad boys... is it as strong as a chipper winch pulley? how big of a log could u crank up?? 30" pine log 10' sections?

I've picked stuff off roofs with a hinge cut, the weight you can pic depends on the physics of the job. A tip tie can give you lots of leverage that can shift a lot of wood with a little force.

Quite often the rope is the weak link in the job. The Mfr. WLL is 2000#, I'm sure I've exceeded that.

Greg has come out with some new accessories. The best is a kerf plate called the "Visor".

It is for large removals to keep the rig stationary. Cut a horizontal kerf in the tree, attatch the "Visor" to the mount and it will keep the rig from sliding.

I was thinking that the visor would be something I would definitely want if I used the one I have more. Can this be added onto a standard grcs from say 2004 or 2005??

I was thinking that the visor would be something I would definitely want if I used the one I have more. Can this be added onto a standard grcs from say 2004 or 2005??

Nevermind...I forgot I finally got the demo vid for that thing. i answered my own question - yes. that vid makes me re-think the grcs though, gonna def. start using it more next year.

Back