Good Rigging control System. Who has one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFirebird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Were thinking about getting a GRCS and I would love to hear from someone that has used one for a while. Everything I know about it I like and know it would be a real asset- safe and a time saver. I look forward to some feedback.

They are a portable crane in my eyes. Pick and pull stuff with precision and control. Well worth the investment if you do the big stuff and are even great for hanging small trees or lifting one off a house, etc.

GRCS worth its weight in gold

If you ever have walked up to a job and said, I think I need a crane for this.... and don't have a GRCS you'll find your crane costs go down by 50%. If I'm taking a 66 to the job I'm grabbing the GRCS. Working around houses, lines, and all the crazy landscaping the urban jungle has its priceless. I will never work for a company again that doesn't have one.. or I'll just tell'em give me a starting bonus and I'll buy it.

I sleep with mine, and buy it dinner at fine restaurants. My wife would be jealous, but it makes me more money then I do.

Well worth the money.

I am the proud owner of #488. The GRCS is one of those things that you try to justify not owning because of the price, but once you own it you hate yourself for waiting so long to get on board, kind of like a MS 200t.

Oh John, Sleeping with your GRCS, really? Come on, mine has its own room!

Call me old school.. but mine collects dust in the shop mostly. Once or twice a year it gets broken out for something real rare. Just dont see the need for it most times.

Maybe when I get the toolboxes on my new truck someday I will break it out more.. sometimes it occurs to me mid job that it might have been handy for a cut or two.

Call me old school.. but mine collects dust in the shop mostly. Once or twice a year it gets broken out for something real rare. Just dont see the need for it most times.

Maybe when I get the toolboxes on my new truck someday I will break it out more.. sometimes it occurs to me mid job that it might have been handy for a cut or two.

Yeah you rarely "need" to use one, and it can get in the way at times hanging on the tree.

look up the double barrel one from stein, seems like an equal, or perhaps even better device for over a thousand less.

I got a Hobbs in 1990 and a GRCS in 2003. Both are great devices.

I just had to break out the 25' 3/4" tenex eye sling to mount the porty (with timber hitch) for a job this week - I think thats about the second time I've ever really needed it (usually just use the 20 footer). It is nice to have the right tool when you do need it, thats for sure.

look up the double barrel one from stein, seems like an equal, or perhaps even better device for over a thousand less.

Interesting lowering device. First I have heard of it. 6600 pounds is an impressive WLL. Looks a little bulky though. Sounds a little heavy at 60 pounds as well. I would like to see one in action.

The dual Stein only pretensions the rope it doesn't pull loads over or pick them up like a GRCS. It's a nice tool in between a regular bollard and a GRCS.

The dual "fixed" bollards are nice for tip and butt tying large limbs and letting them down and also for negative rigging of large blocks. Two blocks and two ropes can be used in unison. A single rope can be wrapped around both bollards too.

I have a GRCS and also a PWIII. I'll say this, the PWIII gets used far more often than the GRCS. There are 2 reasons for this, weight, and ease of set-up. However when it comes to big trees, technical removals, tight quarters, and so forth, the tool is hard to beat. You'll find yourself using it for things you never even thought you'd use it for. For example I once got a truck and chipper stuck in a yard, and rather than call a tow truck I winched the whole rig out with my GRCS.

I have a GRCS and also a PWIII. I'll say this, the PWIII gets used far more often than the GRCS. There are 2 reasons for this, weight, and ease of set-up. However when it comes to big trees, technical removals, tight quarters, and so forth, the tool is hard to beat. You'll find yourself using it for things you never even thought you'd use it for. For example I once got a truck and chipper stuck in a yard, and rather than call a tow truck I winched the whole rig out with my GRCS.

We winched my old 2 ton dump out with one a few years back. That is after we pulled over about a 33K tree on a bad lean with the thing.

I won't go into all the details of how life with a GRCS can make a difficult removal or wind damaged trees easy to do.

What I will say is that we needed to buy a new backing plate for ours because we broke the pigtail off which was a weak point in the older design. I tried to weld it back but the powder coating made this difficult and I didn't want to maim ours any more than need be with a angle grinder to clean up around the weld area and to get a good ground. I did fix it but didn't last to long before it broke again.

The newer design is much better in the area around the pigtail for strength plus the right side is identical to the left with another fold out pigtail. It would be a fair statement to say that the GRCS is almost indestructable unless you hit it with a large chunk of wood from above.

If you decide to get a new GRCS you will have a great tool and well worth the money. The GRCS is not like a truck or chipper that needs constant maintenance and won't depreciate much in value and will give many years of good service. The new backing plate was a little over a $ 600 bucks.

Any vids of this thing is action? I just dropped a tree yesterday, 100 feet tall pine, 26" dbh, house 4' to south of trunk, power lines 2' to west of tree, steep uphill to north so very hairy drop zone. Got it done but this thing sounds like a better idea.

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback, it helps. I'm familiar with the Hobbs, but what is the PWIII. Do you have a web address so I can check into it?

Back