Goofy Filing, Round Filing or Grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I find hard to come to terms with about the goofy file, ( I wished it had a better name) is that if the GF leaves a round and high sideplate, it's no different than using 5/16" RF held high in the cutter, except for the fact that the under the top plate is filed flat with a GF as opposed to hollow as with an RF.
I'm starting to think that most saw users are not getting enough out of their chains regardless of what method they use.
Gypo

John,
If you look at the pic of the cutter I posted there is a straight edge on the side plate at the working corner. Even thought it's only a small fraction of an inch, that's all that's really cutting anyway.
With a round file the cutting edge of the side plate is generally the same angle as the top plate angle (30 to 35*). Due to the angles of the goofy file going into the cutter the side plate is much sharper, causing the chain to sever the wood better.
I do agree though that most of us leave a lot on the table when it comes to getting the most out of our chains.
Chisel filing isn't for everyone. Use what works for ya, and get some wood cut. :cheers:

Andy

Knowing that now Andy I can't see that the goofy file could be any faster than a round file. Maybe it's just me.
Not sure, but I think one of the moderators here is a goofy filer.

If someone invented a simple small sq. grinder with ideal fixed angles and dressing diamonds they would be into the big bucks. Although it's the dressing stones that determine the angle.

Do you have a pic of the filing jig that holds a beveled file?
Thanks,
John

I posted some pic's in the "Who has tried sq filing and given up" thread. It's ugly, but it works.

Andy

The reason I can't sq. file is because I can't hold the proper sideplate angle.
I'm constantly correcting and second guessing myself. It's too frustrating for me.
Should I keep trying, even though my round filing cuts like a raped ape?

It take a pic of my goofy goofy goofy cutters, but I no longer have my 100mm
Nikon macro lens, just a 50mm lens.
John

If it cuts like a raped ape and you are happy with that i see no reason to struggle with square, i only use square filed chains when i'm logging never at residential work.
I like to bore cut and that's the main reason i like square, it's like a hot knife through butter when bore cutting, but you know that :)
If i had a squaregrinder i would run square for everything !!!!
Why did you sell yours ??
Was is it to much work to set it up ??

Back