GoPro Hero 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a GoPro hero 3 yesterday and started to play with it. Highly recommend it to you awesome climbers so the rest of us can watch you work.
The camera has a built in WiFi so that you can now control and view everything from an android or iPhone. For example once mounted on the helmet a person is able to turn it on and off, change settings and view exactly what is being viewed by the GoPro from the iPhone. No more having to take your helmet off to see what is going on with the camera. A person could also leave the camera on the ground a distance away, turn it on from your phone and take pictures or video. I purchased a DSLR with remote control to do the same thing about a month ago and may not even use it now.

I use Roxio VideoWave for an editing program but I also see that GoPro has a program as well called CineForm Studio.

I would love to hear any suggestions on the use of the camera and editing tips that others have here.

I always check amazon reviews. Read the worst reviews, look at the ratio of good to bad...you'll have a good idea what you are getting.
Thanks for the good advise.
I would have to be one to leave a good review, so far it has worked well for me, I love the way it syncs to my phone, I can turn it on and off there, make changes to resolution etc and view the video real time. Although I have learned how to use it today, I still have a lot to learn to make good video, (like how to climb a tree etc.) I did have one glitch and that was with the 8 gig SD card I have, the camera at one point would not read it. I think it is because it is a cheap one that I purchased off of eBay. It worked well with the small cameras I would attach to my RC helicopters but I don't think it is fast enough for this camera.
I did a little throw bag boomerang practice today and took a video of that.

[video=youtube;7v9f6isVx3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9f6isVx3E[/video]

I always check amazon reviews. Read the worst reviews, look at the ratio of good to bad...you'll have a good idea what you are getting.Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GoPro HERO3 (Silver Edition)
So that I don't sound like some GoPro company man, although I have a positive review of this camera, I think for the money they should do much more to make it more user friendly. For example the firmware needs to be updated as soon as it is purchased. I would expect this to be some, plug it in and click a link, for this kind of money but you have to download a file, un-zip it to a folder, copy it to the root folder of the microSD card, reboot etc etc. Their support page has many dead end links also. I suspect somebody is making huge money on this as it is marketed so well. The phone app and WiFi made a huge step in the right direction but also adds more technical pit falls.

The wife got me the silver edition for christmas, its awesome! Made a beauty snowmobiling video with it. A couple downsides are the short life battery. 2.5hrs using 1080 HD, they dont provide you with a wall plug so you have to buy one and once you've fastened the mounts to anything the mounts are there for good then you gotta buy more. Im waiting on helmet mount so i can get some tree vids up. Done some pretty fun work lately was kinda peeved i didnt have it in time. I suggest it to everyone.

The wife got me the silver edition for christmas, its awesome! Made a beauty snowmobiling video with it. A couple downsides are the short life battery. 2.5hrs using 1080 HD, they dont provide you with a wall plug so you have to buy one and once you've fastened the mounts to anything the mounts are there for good then you gotta buy more. Im waiting on helmet mount so i can get some tree vids up. Done some pretty fun work lately was kinda peeved i didnt have it in time. I suggest it to everyone.

I use the USB plug for my iPhone charger or USB plug of my laptop. I have been on a few GoPro forums and that was some of the suggestions and it seems to work well. Also for about 25 buck you can buy a charger and a couple of batteries to have as spares. I have a 32 gig microSD and was thinking of having a few smaller 8gig but it seems to be a pain to set each one up and each will have it's own WiFi. Probably just stick with the 32, I think it should do about 4 hours. Not like I have 4 hours of anything I do worth watching!
Also, mine came with a helmet mount but I hear you, gotta buy more for anything you want to mount. I did buy a cheap soap dish suction (tossed the dish) and put a mount on that, so anything I can stick it to like glass inside will be up.

Love to see your snowmobiling video, bet it looks great!

The iPhone charger idea is genius! I'll post it cause it isn't that bad of a video, just pretty sappy cause the wife is 36 weeks pregnant and she was with me for the little spin. I've seen guys on YouTube use the suction things. Definitely a great idea.

Enjoyed the video (and the music:msp_biggrin:)very much, thanks for sharing. Hope to see pic's of the new born when (it) arrives as well. Something tells me that little person is going to have some fun parents.
Thanks Smoke, Pics willbe up soon of my little girl. My first kid, sounds weird saying it lol very excited though. Shes gunna have a lot to play with at Grandpas farm, after chores of course!

The iPhone charger idea is genius! I'll post it cause it isn't that bad of a video, just pretty sappy cause the wife is 36 weeks pregnant and she was with me for the little spin. I've seen guys on YouTube use the suction things. Definitely a great idea.
Just learned something with the iPhone GoPro combo. When I start the camera with the iPhone, select preview on, then put the iPhone in sleep mode............after filming for sometime, take the phone back out of sleep mode, it runs thru everything that has been filmed in fast forward on the preview screen. That is pretty cool. Gives you an instant chance to look over your last 30 minutes or whatever without touching the camera or turning it off.
Some of you camera experts probably knew that. Side note, looks like 32 gig will record for about 4H:30 and battery abut 2H:30.

Thanks Smoke, Pics willbe up soon of my little girl. My first kid, sounds weird saying it lol very excited though. Shes gunna have a lot to play with at Grandpas farm, after chores of course!
How's the kid?
I just got a new charger that came with 3 additional batteries for only 30 bucks. (Charges AC and DC)
Have not used them much yet but looks like it will be a great thing to have as the GoPro seems to eat batteries pretty quickly and charging is very slow.
I figure you would have that GoPro running day and night with that newborn.
ebay......... AHDBT-201 Battery and Charger For Gopro Hero 3 Camera Gopro AHDBT-201

Latest posts

Back