Got a job offer...what do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking hard for a job (see sig).

I just got a job offer....and accepted...wondering what others think???

$13/hour to start as a ground worker

$19/hour when I get certified as a climber and get my CDL...which I plan on doing within 6 months.

Good, bad, average?

I'm in western PA.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds about right, maybe even high for pennsyltucky. What does certified as a climber mean? ISA tree worker? Or just, the approval of the boss as a climber, because that could take forever! Get your learners tomorrow, get your cdl in a month, else you'll never do it. I've seen tons of guys who are gonna get their cdl, who never do.

Sounds about right, maybe even high for pennsyltucky. What does certified as a climber mean? ISA tree worker? Or just, the approval of the boss as a climber, because that could take forever! Get your learners tomorrow, get your cdl in a month, else you'll never do it. I've seen tons of guys who are gonna get their cdl, who never do.

ISA certified

what is the 'learners'?

I've told everyone I know and now you too. Get every license you can, ISA, CDL, pistol permit, builders license, realtors license, pesticide applicators license, anything that has a license. In time, it gets tougher and tougher to get these cetifications so get them now while you can and if you can do it on your own without the boss driving you to do it, it shows your own drive and opens doors in different areas when times are tough like now.

As for the job, if it pays your bills and leaves a little in your pocket in these tough times, go for it and appreciate that you have a job for now.

Congrats! :cheers:

If I was the potential employer, I would ask how old you are and if you have a clean DL, also , how long in the tree biz and what do you know? I will pay for the lunch but do tell me why you are asking to work here?
Jeff

I've told everyone I know and now you too. Get every license you can, ISA, CDL, pistol permit, builders license, realtors license, pesticide applicators license, anything that has a license. In time, it gets tougher and tougher to get these cetifications so get them now while you can and if you can do it on your own without the boss driving you to do it, it shows your own drive and opens doors in different areas when times are tough like now.

As for the job, if it pays your bills and leaves a little in your pocket in these tough times, go for it and appreciate that you have a job for now.

Congrats! :cheers:
:clap:I agree, those are pretty good wages, esp if you get any benefits.

Capetrees- good advice on the license situation. As for the money- I start my guys at $15 (ground guys), and $20 (climbers). I don't know how it is up there, but down here it is almost impossible to find a climber with a DL. Most of my drivers are ground guys. I even have a pretty good looking woman that is a ground man, driver. Works out pretty good with homeowners. Anyway, I have no idea what the "going rate" is there. I know I pay more, because I want guys that work. And I do work them. Point is, if the money is right, and you're happy, take it. If you do research, and the guy is trying to take advantage, don't even consider it. What we do is too hard and in too much demand to work for peanuts.

BP

Wages are all dependant on where you are. On cape, to find someone thats even looking for a labor job is tough and then to keep them requires pretty good pay because there are others companies and other venues that are in need of bodies. On the other hand, in these times, keeping guys sometimes isn't a problem due to the economy and lack of jobs out there. Problem in a different direction is maybe some guys are looking for work just to get by till the job they're looking for comes along. The ground guy I have is great in that he doesn't plan on climbing ever and the labor is second nature to him and he's very strong and durable. Good guy too.

That sounds exactly like the Utility Arborists in Maine are making. What company are you getting hired with?

Latest posts

Back